NGD Affinity Butterscotch Blonde

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Pat D, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

Love this guitar! My wife surprised me with it. I'd have chosen the surf green with the Laurel fretboard, but this guitar grew on me really quick.

It did need some attention to detail, and there was one personal show-stopper thing for me that required modding. But with just a little work this thing is killer.

1) First thing out of the box I tightened all the nuts and screws; bridge, neck, tuners...
    2) New set of strings
    3) Set intonation (this bridge is really easy to use for this and it came out perfect)
    4) Cut the cover off the neck pickup

#4 was the big thing. The stock neck pickup is super muddy. I take it that's normal for standard Telecasters, but I didn't know. My MIM Tele HH didn't suffer from that. After some reading I decided to remove the cover from the pickup. It was easily cut off with a rotary tool. No soldering required, and no potting in the pickup to deal with. The coils are already wrapped, so it was an easy and short process.

It sounds really good! The only other thing this guitar needs is dressing the frets, and probably an upgrade to Fender locking tuners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    RodeoTex, SPUDCASTER, NicDo and 4 others like this.
  2. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Pat D likes this.
  3. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Your wife must love you very much.

Pat D likes this.
  4. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

Congratulations
    Play it and enjoy it

5. mikecorey

mikecorey TDPRI Member

I had one, sold it, and I'm still kicking myself 3 years later. Re-stringing was a pain, but I should have ust swapped out the bridge.

Pat D likes this.
  6. Pat D

Pat D Tele-Meister

I still have less than $300 in this guitar and it's really good.

Upgrades:
    Bootstrap pickups (Pretzel neck with an Original bridge)
    TusqXL nut (just installed last night)
    MIM tuners (transplanted from my Tele HH, which got Fender locking tuners)

The Bootstrap pickups are awesome, and only $70! They sound really good. I'm back to the chrome cover look on the neck pickup, but this one has the nickel-silver cover, so it's as transparent as the modded cover-less stock pickup. But it sounds a lot better, with more clarity and punch.

The new nut seems like it will be a nice improvement, but I haven't had much chance to play with it yet. I cut it down to sit a little lower. String action is a bit better, and intonation is a little more consistent across the neck.

The MIM tuners are way better than the stock Squier. I was surprised they would make much difference. The Fender locking tuners are even better than the MIM's, but I'll probably leave the tuners alone for a while.

Also spent about 20 minutes dressing the frets. Now their edges are smooth like butter. So this thing is killer to play!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Neato!

8. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Great guitars; I really enjoy mine,even though I've got more expensive teles. I like the thinner neck and slick neck finish. Yes polish the frets and look out for a bit of "fret sprout" - that isn't really a manufacturing fault but the result of the shrinkage of wood. I don't have a problem with the tuners - it's often strings binding in the nut that can cause problems but I did change out the pickups, which made a really noticable improvement. I fitted a set of Wilkinson's alnicos which have a lovely clear neck pu and were not expensive. These are made in the orient and are probably similar, if not identical, to others like Artec etc - worth it.

9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations, I had one years ago. Excellent choice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.