1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD! A Strat??! American Original 60's Strat CAR

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Minivan Megafun, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra TDPRI Member

There's a pair that'll beat a full house.
    Nice guitars!

SpankTank likes this.
  2. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

You know, I'd read the comments about how poorly C.A.R. photographs and boy are they correct. It really is difficult to convey the actual hue in photos.

3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

You are correct there. I just posted a Strat I refinished in Sage Green Metallic yesterday and all of the photos looked Surf Green, regardless of the angle. Can't seem to capture the metallic.

Minivan Megafun likes this.
  4. Minivan Megafun

I'm positive it's over silver. You can see the traces of silver around the edges in the pickup and control cavities.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  5. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Congratulations!

I'm gradually working my way up to getting one of these as my first proper Strat (I have a 2000 Indo Squier which I never play because it's so unsatisfying). The AO 60s just look like they have everything I want.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  6. mkdaws32

@cravenmonket - Those Indo Squiers are a DIY person's dream platform. Out of the box, you are right - nothing special and rough around the edges. My two best guitars are Indo squires, basically because I'm not afraid to work on them. They are like diamonds in the rough and can be setup and modded to be phenomenal instruments. I've decided my skills are at the point that I should start working on my "good" guitars myself now..

cravenmonket likes this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Congrats. That is one beautiful Strat and goes well with that new Tele too. Enjoy them.

8. Minivan Megafun

I'm a pretty avid modder. However there's something to be said for having an instrument where you don't have to do anything at all to it to make it sound "right". I've got a particular Tele that should be a great platform - ash body, maple board, USA made. I changed just about everything that can be changed on that guitar - bridge, saddles, pickups, pots, caps - and it STILL had a tonal quality that I didn't care for that I simply could not dial in. I think that despite it all there is some inherent tonal quality to each individual instrument. Maybe it's the wood, or the density, or whatever.

Aside from a setup to get it to my preferred playing specs, this AO Strat doesn't need a thing. Sounds amazing on every setting. Both this and my AO Tele are the first Tele and Strat that I've picked up in a very long time where there's new tones and sounds to explore.

9. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

WOW! Beautiful....I'm happy for you!

10. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

I bought it at a pawn shop at least fifteen years ago for $40 and it was basically unused. I needed an electric guitar for some parts I was recording, and I figured it would fit the bill.

It was fine but no fun to play: noisy, low-grade pickups, ticky-tacky hardware fittings (nasty tuners, nasty bridge/saddles/nut, very high action, and a rather chunky body guaranteed that I never really played it.

So either I remove everything and start from scratch with a body I'm in love with, spend a bit to fit it out with my ideal pups and tuners, etc, or I find something which already has everything I'm looking for. I'm not sure what the difference in $$ would be by the time I finish! If I spent $800 on it, I would have some nice appointments, but I'd still have the thick, chunky body in a colour I'm not crazy about.

I love the idea of kitting it out myself and doing all the work, but I don't know a thing about it! I did take everything apart a few months ago with the intention of getting busy on it, but I lost heart and just returned to my Tele, which is perfect.

11. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

That's a nice guitar right there, congrats!

12. mkdaws32

That's fair, as well as what @Minivan Megafun said. You can't make every guitar exactly what you want. With these particular Indo Squires (2004 and 2016) I picked them up and played them in the shop (as I do with every Tele and Strat I find) and they felt really good. One of them had a horrible setup and the other was beat to crap, but the spoke something to me and I knew could make something of them. The first one was in fine cosmetic shape, so I changed what I wanted and set it up to my liking. The second (the 2004) needed a lot more - I stripped and refinished the neck and repaired the dents, chip scratches in the body and refinished that. Now it' my favorite guitar in terms of sound and playability. It looks great too, but I can't pick a favorite there - I love the way all of mine look.

One thing I look for right off the bat is resonance and sustain unplugged. If it doesn't have that, it may never, no matter what you do (again, as @Minivan Megafun said).

So yes, there has to be something there to start with.

cravenmonket likes this.
  13. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Totally agree! I actually meant to say "start from scratch with a body I'm not in love with". There isn't really anything about this guitar which appeals to me, except that it is a Strat and I want a Strat!

Also agree about the resonance and sustain - my 2011 Deluxe Tele sounds amazing unplugged. In fact I play it unplugged quite often because I like to hear the wood, and I'm constantly surprised by how articulate it is when not amplified. All unplugged electric guitars (even identical models) are not alike!

(Apologies to OP for hijacking this thread!)

mkdaws32 likes this.
  14. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

It may be silver and then the candy red but your pickup cavity looks identical to my 80’s avri 57 in c.a.r. It’s gold underneath though. Either way it’s so cool. I wanted the one in Ontario but they want 14% sales tax on top plus shipping! It’s only 5% her in Alberta.
    1451D4A7-5B7B-4A7F-8B8E-110E96A44B07.jpeg 2B60A441-F3A5-426C-B25B-81BB0FCFC127.jpeg

15. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Many people don’t know this, but it’s a scientifically proven fact that CAR strats sound better and play better than other strats, and in 99.84% of cases, have improved the love life of the owner.

16. Minivan Megafun

What? You couldn't just go to your local L&M and have them transfer it to their store?

17. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

No, they said I’d have to the shipping and Ontario taxes. If it was used maybe? I’m pretty I’ve had a stuff shipped from others stores before with no issues.

18. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Very nice!

I think it's pretty common for Fender and other manufacturers ( like car companies ) to produce the product before they start marketing them, as they do need to be available once the marketing starts. I try to keep my eyes open for Fender LE/FSR models, and some how I usually miss the boat as they are sold out before they ever hit the stores.

19. Minivan Megafun

Yeah I've done that before too. Weird.

Anyway, a white one just popped up on kijiji in Calgary. Keep your eyes open. One will come up.

20. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

They have a white one now in my area, I might get it this weekend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.