Ngd: A Somewhat...odd Prs

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StrangerNY, Mar 12, 2016.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

So, I've had this '96 MIM Strat kicking around the house, not getting much love, and I decide to list it on CL and see if I could sell it or get something back in trade for it. I had a deal lined up for a Boss GT-10 pedalboard, but when I took it to the guy's house, he saw a chip in the Strat's paint job and nearly fainted. Strange, I said right there in the ad that it was in player's condition and had chips and scratches. But the guy couldn't stand to look at a chip, so no deal.

So I re-list it. I'm looking through listings for neighboring areas, and a kid in Queens had this PRS Clint Lowery signature model (Lowery is one of the guitarists in the band Sevendust), so I shoot him an email with the link to my ad. As soon as I send it, an email comes in - from the kid in Queens with the PRS. Meant to be. I drove out to Woodside and we did the swap, straight up. Then a late lunch with the wife in lovely Williamsburg, then back here. Here's the Clint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First - is there any PRS besides this one with a black finish? I really cannot think of one.

Second - as you can see by the pics, it's been modded. The kid pulled out the stock wiring and sold it (there goes the push-pull tone control) and put in a volume control where the pickup switch usually goes. The pickup is a Railhammer Anvil - a surprisingly good-sounding pickup. Sounds great dimed, cleans up very nicely. He covered the original volume and tone controls, and the cavity for the neck pickup, with black tape.

So...I'm about to dig through my parts boxes for another humbucker, switch and tone control and I'm going to restore it to its former 2-pickup glory.

The build is PRS' usual A+ quality - nice poly finish with white binding around the top, neck and headstock. The body is Mahogany, with nice weight and balance. The neck scale is 25.5" - same as Fender, a bit longer than the usual PRS scale. They say they built them like that to accommodate Sevendust's C# tuning. Whatever. It feels great - I sold off my SE One a year or so ago, and I forgot how comfy their Wide Flat neck is.

Overall, a pretty nice guitar. Should get more play than the Strat I sent down the road, but I gotta put a little work into it first. I'll post 'after' pictures...well, after.

- D

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've never seen that model but I'm no PRS expert. They do make some other models in black.
    I had an early PRS Santana SE that was black, and many years ago I had a USA made PRS what was black.

Attached Files:

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Interesting mod; I guess the kid knew what he wanted.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have nearly bought a DGT, and a McCarty in black. Played them in stores. Yes, there are black PRS guitars.

Also know a guy personally and have gigged with him, who had a black 80's EG model.

Also used to be in a band with a guy who had a black Standard 22.

They're out there.

Yours looks fun! I'd play it. And I've been really curious abut rail hammer pickups...

5. StrangerNY

Short update: After rooting through my parts boxes, that Switchcraft pickup selector is nowhere to be found, and the tone control I've got is kinda sticky.

So I went to the GFS site and ordered switch, a new tone pot and capacitor - and a Dream 90 for the neck position. I did the same with an Epi Les Paul and really like the sound of the Dream 90 in the neck position.

Parts should be here on Tuesday, at which point I can wire this thing up.

- D

Jakedog and Zepfan like this.
  6. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

I'm not familiar with the band Sevendust, but I like the look of that guitar :)

7. StrangerNY

I always swore I'd never get another PRS, but I saw this one and thought 'I could work with that.' Their playability is a given, but I really don't go for the usual PRS blingy finishes.

But black with white binding? No prob! It'll look good next to my LP Custom, and it may end up getting played just as much. :)

- D

8. StrangerNY

The parts finally got here yesterday - unusual for GFS to take so long! I usually get parts from them within 2 days. So after waiting all...week! (sob) to put it together, I finally got it done and took it out to a gig in Brooklyn last night.

[​IMG]

(Don't mind the dust, this shot is straight out of the gig bag.)

[​IMG]

The Railhammer sounds as good as I expected it to - capable of good crunch, but with real definition and response. The Dream 90 sounds amazing in this guitar - super-creamy without being overwhelming on the low end. A real nice compliment to the Railhammer.

Another complication arose with the trade, though - the kid with the Strat emailed me and said that the truss rod in the neck was broken. The last time I adjusted it, it was fine. But I didn't quibble with him because I didn't want to have to send this one back, so he ordered a Mighty Mite replacement neck and I split the cost with him.

Even with the $50 I chipped in on the neck, this was a definite trade up. Very happy with this guitar.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

So where's the video? We want to hear it.:p

10. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Stranger - nice upgrade of the kid's mods. I'm a big fan of PRS SEs(can't even begin to afford US models). Agree w/Zepfan - would love to hear how those two unique pickups sound.

11. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

Good score. Congrats.

Also wanted to add, I have a Dream 90 in the bridge position on a PRS Singlecut SE. Very twangy for that guitar. But I'm curious about their Mean 90. Have you ever used one?

12. StrangerNY

I never tried one. I actually wanted to buy one for this guitar, but they're not on the site any more - it looks like they discontinued the Mean 90 and wound the Dream 90 a little hotter.

- D

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

They still have the Mean 90's on the site in the "Humbucker Size" catagory towards the bottom of the page. $35 dollars.

14. Otto Tune

Otto Tune TDPRI Member

I've never seen a PRS with the truncated horns like that, but I'm no expert.

Sure looks like you brought it back to beautiful condition.

15. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Sharp looking guitar.

16. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Reminds me of my Schecter Blackjack 006.

Sharp!

17. StrangerNY

I didn't see them when I made the order.

No matter. The Dream sounds really good in this guitar.

Inadvertent plus - when the kid took out the original wiring, he also inexplicably did a really good job of shielding all cavities with copper tape! I guess I can thank him for making the P-90 a little quieter.

- D

18. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Some of the standard line PRS guitars come in black too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.