NGD! '83 SQ-series MIJ Squier

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Censport, May 7, 2020.

1. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

So a little background here. The white(ish) Strat in the photo was my Christmas present from Mom when I was 17. It's been my main guitar ever since (except for a couple of years when I played a Flying V in a blues band, but hopefully y'all will forgive me). I've had a bunch of other Fender Strats, MIMs, MIAs, MIJs, but the white Squier has been the best of them all. Had the headstock logo changed when I had it refretted with 6105 wire 20-ish years ago, and after trying DiMarzios, Duncans, other Fender p'ups, etc., I've been happy with the EMG DG-20s for quite a while now. The black pickguard is from a '79 Strat a friend parted out decades ago.

Back in '84, when Mom asked what I wanted for Christmas, my only problem was deciding between a black Squier Strat or a white one. I think it was the Hendrix influence that convinced me to get the white one. While I have always loved my white Strat, I've always wanted a black one too.

That finally got settled this week when I bought this '83 on Reverb. It just arrived about an hour ago. Seems to be completely stock. I wonder how long that will last...

TWINS.jpg

TWINS_2.jpg

Another one checked off the bucket list. Now to give it a polish and a fresh set of 9.5-44s.

Jakedog, hemingway, awasson and 10 others like this.
  2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice! Congratulations.

Censport likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Are they the three screw heels? I have an '83/'84 I bought from a kid in the early nineties. Flawless guitar. Mine has rosewood board (my preference) Since I started playing a Telecaster, over twenty years ago, the Strat hasn't been out of its case much. I find the stock pickups, tuners and bridge are very good. I understand what you like.....I just like the Tele-style I built last year better......;)
    BTW....mine is white, with a WBW pickguard.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Bruxist likes this.
  4. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

Yes, the best 3-bolt necks ever.

I like the Tele-style I built a couple of years ago too. They both get played a lot.

Bruxist and nojazzhere like this.
  5. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

A couple lifetimes ago I had a large headstock Squire Strat. It had been poorly refretted and weighed a ton so I sold it without regret.
    About five years ago I was driving through a nearby neighborhood and passed a garage sale.
    In the middle of the driveway was a black Strat on a guitar stand. I stopped. I was expecting it to be MIM or MIK but once I got close enough I realized it was another SQ Strat.
    It had black nail polish over all of the chrome parts and numerous body dents. One minute and $80 later it was mine. It has the rosewood board, wish it was maple but it's a really nice Strat.
    I've thought about adding new pickups or hardware but then I can't brag about it being an $80 guitar anymore.
    I also had a SQ Tele at one time, that one I do regret selling.
    Your Strats are gorgeous, congrats.

Bruxist and Censport like this.
  6. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Nice, cool story.

I have an SQ series P-Bass, and it's a great instrument.

20190518_132639.jpg

Bruxist, bumnote, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Nice score! I had an SQ, wish I still did. 9.5’s are a perfect string gauge for Strats.

Censport and Bruxist like this.
  10. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Wow that looks brand new. Congrats!

I have 2 SQ strats but the black/maple one is being fixed up to give to a friend. Is in good shape but not as nice as yours.

My white/rosewood one was very abused. I bought it for $120 on CL and sold the Schechter pickups out of it for $125. I am thinking I will fix it up (refin def) and give it to my daughter since it was made 30 years before she was.

These are seriously great instruments. And the neck/pocket fit on both of mine is rock solid.

Interesting note for those not familiar, these are actually 3 screw necks, not two screws and a bolt.

Censport, AlbertaGriff and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Censport and AlbertaGriff like this.
  12. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Cool, congrats!

I've an 83 MIJ myself. Good stuff.

Censport likes this.
  13. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

@Censport ... those are the models Jeff Healey was known to play.

FWIW I have an '83 Squier JV (UK Export '62 Vintage) that I bought new in '84. I've tried/owned many Strats since, this is still my #1.

Those were really nice guitars.... IMO, I would keep it stock until I had no choice. If you wanted to try different pickups.... go the whole route and assemble a loaded pickguard so you can just swap it out with the original whenever you want.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Censport likes this.
  14. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

I didn't know that about Healey. He had great taste.

Yes, there is something truly special about those early MIJ Strats.

That's my plan for now. I had the white one refretted because it needed it, badly. I only had two guitars for a long time, the other being an MIJ Charvel Model 2. As the Charvel was (and still is) a one-trick-pony, the Squier got played quite a bit. The frets were small to begin with, and I wore those suckers out. The frets on the black one are in great shape, although still very small. I think I'll hold off on refretting it to my preference since it's very playable as is. But I am tempted to try out a set of Duncan YJM pickups, as I suspect they're good for more than shredding. They're sold as a loaded pickguard, so I might get one in white and change it out.

codamedia likes this.
  15. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

Oops, double post.

16. kris ford

kris ford Tele-Meister

Very cool!

I always thought the Squier Vintage Modified 70s was more than a nod to these..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Censport likes this.
  17. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I looked at one of these just the other day! Local GC had it. I saw it on the website and had to check it out. Ultimately, it was just too wrecked. Really bad rattle can blue refin, wiped out frets, the switch didn’t work (every position was neck/middle), neck was loose in the pocket (could have just needed tightening, also could have been a wiped out neck joint), and although the bridge and everything else appeared original, the spacing seemed bad. Both E strings were so close to the edge of the board that they kept slipping off. I decided it was way too big a project to take on for $499, and instead bought the mint condition Player Series they had for $429. It was gonna be one or the other, and the other won.

I have always wanted one of these. Maybe the next one I stumble onto will be in better shape.

18. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

Sounds like that poor guitar has had a rough life, which is a sad fate for a great guitar. A much nicer one won't be hard to find, but it might be more than $499. Hope you get one soon, I'm sure you'll love it.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.