NGD: 83-84 MIJ Squier "SQ" Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jack Clayton, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Just bought this guitar from a local seller. I've never had a nice vintage guitar before, or even a fender that was better than MIM (not complaining. Mexican fenders are great.)

Anyway, I saw this baby on sale locally, and did a little research. Turns out, as many of you likely know, the Squiers made in the Fujigen factory in the early to mid eighties are splendid players. Some say as good or better than American strats. I can't say for sure.

I bought the guitar expecting it would take a bit of upgrading to really make it sing. That's been my experience in the past with anything under the "squier" brand. To my pleasant surprise, this strat isn't just a good body and neck. The pickups are absolutely gorgeous sounding.

Just wanted to gush for a moment about this gem. Thank God the collectors turn their nose up at anything with "Squier" on the headstock. Otherwise I never would've gotten it so cheap. IMG_20200603_184035.jpg IMG_20200603_184047.jpg IMG_20200603_184058.jpg

Zepfan, tah1962, Piggy Stu and 6 others like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

May I ask.....how cheap was "cheap"? I have one like yours, three screw neck plate, large headstock, bullet truss rod adjust.....except mine is white, with three ply WBW guard. It is close to "like new" condition, and if I ever wanted to play a Strat again, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. They are, indeed, EXCELLENT!

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Cool

I like how those have the 62 style guard

4. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

$400. Granted, that's for a fixer upper. The frets are just about shot, and will need to be replaced soon. I'm guessing that's gonna put me out another $200 if I'm lucky. But I don't mind. That'll get me another twenty years of play.

nojazzhere and Seasicksailor like this.
  5. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Congrats! Those are lovely guitars!

These and the 'silver series' Squiers really do match USA guitars and are worlds apart from current Squiers.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

7. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an '83 Squier JV Strat I wouldn't trade for any MIA! The SQ's are really nice as well.... Jeff Healey almost always had one on his lap!

Actually.... some SQ's and some of the JV models are not snubbed. They don't hold the value of the early "AVRI" guitars (even through they are every bit as good), but they do hold good value. Your's seems to have fallen through the cracks (big WIN for you).... I never see them come up for $400, regardless of condition.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for info. I seriously doubt I'll ever return to Stratocasters, so maybe I ought to "pass" mine on.....;)

9. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Sweet Strat. Congratulations.

10. kris ford

kris ford Tele-Meister

That is sweet!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.