1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD 70th Anniversary Broadcaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by EspyHop, Aug 3, 2020.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

There’s a sensible limit?

EspyHop likes this.
  2. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have both. The Broadcaster pups sound brighter and more scooped compared to the AO's "rounder" tone, though it still has plenty of top end presence. Its not night and day and they can be EQ'd to sound very close to each other.

The AO has A3s and the Broadcaster has A5s... I'm pretty sure about the magnets, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong... I adjusted the pickup heights to optimize the tone of each guitar. I haven't measured them, but they're about the same and so is the output, but the AO sounds a bit louder... That could be accounted for by the AO pickups having a bit more mid-range presence and differences in pot/capacitor values...

So the Broadcaster sounds brighter plugged in, but it also sounds brighter acoustically, even though both have the exact same strings changed on the same day. They're only 2 oz apart in weight, and both have identical specs except for the pickups, neck radius, and neck shape/size...

It'd be interesting to swap necks and/or pickups to see how that would change the tone of each guitar... In any case, I like them both and don't consider one to be superior to the other, just different...

Electric Warrior and AndrewG like this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks do you notice anything different about the Fretboard radius? The Broadcaster is 7.25 and the AO 9.5 but the Broadcaster plays like a flatter radius than it is to me. Maybe it’s the way they’ve profiled the frets.

gwjensen likes this.
  4. gwjensen

9.5 and 7.25 are so close even though it sounds like a lot and and the narrow/tall frets make the difference even less noticeable than if they both had vintage frets.... to me, anyway... Some folks are pretty particular about the radius, but I can play on both equally well, or badly...

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

congratulations, I'm glad you got an inspirational instrument.
    SKY CLOUDS.jpg

gwjensen likes this.
  6. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

They’re both Alnico 3. The Blackguards are hotter.

Blackguard
    DC resistance Bridge: 9.73k/ Neck: 7.33k

Nocaster
    DC Resistance: Bridge: 7.3K/Neck: 7.1K

Pure Vintage '52
    DC resistance Bridge: 6.56k/ Neck: 7k

gwjensen and Electric Warrior like this.
  7. gwjensen

Thanks! I should have mentioned that I play mostly with the neck pickup and I was thinking that was A5.... I think the CS ones are A5 in the neck and A3 in the bridge, based on ads I saw for Josefina hand wound 50/51 Blackguards, but that doesn’t mean the production pickups are the same...

8. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

Love this tread for selfish reasons. Pulled the trigger on a used Broadcaster that should be here Wed 12th. Bought to sell. Very nice price from a shop I have done a lot of business online over the years. Described as 2019 very good condition site says few dings and playwear. 7.1 lbs U shaped neck. Have heard Broadcaster "wiring kit" consists of a capacitor and wiring schematic. And tweed case. Should be fun to play, but keeping Squire with neck P90, Blade rear, nice smoky pearl guard and locking Fender tuners. Famous last words.

EspyHop and gwjensen like this.
  9. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Wow, so they’re showing up used already?? Curious, are you sure it’s 2019, I thought Fender just started producing these in 2020???

10. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Tele-Meister

Blasphemy!

11. Lochry

Lochry TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Curious about make-up and values used in the "fixed treble roll-off" circuit -- a/k/a position 3.

I have '54 and '57 esquires, both with useless "mud" in position 3. The the demo of the 70th anni. makes position 3 sound pretty good. Curious.

12. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have a question about the Broadcasters. What is the appreciable difference between these and the former American Vintage 52? I have seen a Broadcaster in the shop and although I didn't pick it up, the finish looks to be pretty thick on them. Are they finished with the 12-17 OV "fragile" nitro or are these the more classic thick nitro over poly that the old AVRI line had?

13. mbc220

mbc220 TDPRI Member

How about the nut width?

14. ECC83

ECC83 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've heard that AO 50s Tele is nitro over poly grain fill, and Broadcaster is nitro over wood, not sure if it's true for both CS or non-CS.
    I do recall that a 2016-2017 AVRI 52 that I played a few times had a less prominent grain which makes me think it had a thicker finish than my Broadcaster, but it's been a while. To my untrained eye the Broadcaster body finish looks very thin. Judging by the neck pocket and a couple of tiny dents that I could find, this is going to age fast. My other guitars are all poly and they are mostly flawless after 10-15 years in which I owned them.

15. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I was considering getting one, but I have a nice blackquard that I built that I am happy with. I bought a 60's Les Paul Standard instead.

16. AviA

AviA Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Congratulations :)

ECC83 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.