1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: 70th Anniversary Broadcaster. Impressions. And pics, pics, pics...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rze99, Feb 2, 2020.

1. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

I had a chance to spend some time with mine today. I usually spend the first few hours with a guitar getting it setup and without fail, needing to cut the nut down. The string height was expectedly high when I tuned it up, but the neck was relieved exactly to my liking (which saved me from removing the neck to adjust).

I lowered the saddles and I was shocked that I got the action close to perfect without touching the nut (I'm generally happy with string height of 1.25 - 1.5mm at the 12th and no buzzing). Just the first string is a tad high (you can see the nut cuts don't follow the radius exactly), but it's completely (comfortably) playable. I will cut the nut today for that one string.

I was concerned about the vintage radius, but the 7.25" didn't bother me a bit. No problems bending or nailing those pedal steel licks. I measured the neck since I generally gravitate toward the baseball-bat necks. Mine measures .90" at the first fret and .99" at the 12th. I was surprised, maybe the shoulders are relieved a bit because it didn't feel that thick.

The Broadcaster pickups were hotter than I expected. Almost Twisted Tele-like. Neck pickup seemed Stratty, which I like. I'm feeling this one is a keeper.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    rze99, gwjensen and Electric Warrior like this.
  2. Kostop

Kostop TDPRI Member

Gorgeous guitars, the best thing that came out of this year's NAMM show in my opinion. I am very close to ordering mine, in fact, I went to my local Fender dealer today ready to buy the one they have in stock. The only thing that held me back was that the high e string was too close to the edge of the fretboard. I will probably wait for the next delivery (or at least I'll try...), but this will almost certainly be my next guitar.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    teleNtweed and Crobbins like this.
  3. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Mine had the same issue, it was just the neck not properly seated in the pocket, I loosened a bit , reset and tightened her back down. Boom, perfecto!! I love the darn thing!!!

DaveG_NJ, Crobbins and Kostop like this.
  4. WhiskyMan

WhiskyMan TDPRI Member

How does this compare in feel to the AO ‘50s tele?

5. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I don't understand why they would tint the neck and not the body, why not leave the neck "factory" and let it tint over time along with the body?

WYfish likes this.
  6. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

I do occasionally feel the high-e close to the edge. I think the fretboard edges are rolled a bit and maybe the smooth saddle will let the string drift ever-so-slightly. I may reset my neck as you suggest. Still a lovely guitar.

Crobbins and teleNtweed like this.
  7. Demon Lord 1981

Demon Lord 1981 NEW MEMBER!

I got mine today, it's pretty much perfect except for the E string issue like the others are saying. Feels like a great Tele though! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Crobbins and teleNtweed like this.
  8. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

I just had a pretty famous musician's guitar tech set mine up. He had to make an entire new nut which solved my same exact problem.

Crobbins, teleNtweed and rze99 like this.
  9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Just played mine alongside a couple of other Teles.

I just fitted shorter saddle screws. I like a low action and this is my most common mod as I dislike the saddle screw tops digging into my palm side. The shorter saddles screws are a small but for me important improvement. The original screws are in a bag in the case.

As I was working on it, I noticed that on mine the bottom E is just a touch closer to the edge than I prefer but it's not bad and doesn't need correcting systemically, I just shifted the string in a touch on the saddle.
    The top E is perfectly placed. No issues.

The pickups sounded especially good this evening and I think they are the real deal.

Not convinced by the factory strings but they'll go soon anyway.

teleNtweed likes this.
  10. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Yeah, I always live with a new guitar for a year, then take it to my "guy" and he makes it exactly what I want at that time. I like the guitar to understand that it is no longer a tree and I have identified any issues that I notice after living with it for awhile before spending $$ on a full set up. Unbleached bone nut is a must for my liking for instance.

11. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

I just totally overhauled mine. Had the neck reshaped to a 14 radius. Modern bridge, bardens and triangular frets. Double string trees. etc... no I'm not Bruce Springsteen :)

12. rze99

I am taking this as a joke given your smiley...

13. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

I wasn’t joking. I am actually having this all done as we speak.

teleNtweed likes this.
  14. rze99

I always respect people's decision to do what they want with their guitars. I have. Lots of times. Can you explain ... I mean, why even buy one in the first place if you want a totally different type guitar? A partscaster would serve you better. And cheaper.

BenTobith and Crobbins like this.
  15. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I totally agree Fender knows better than that. The '52 RI from 2012-2017 looked more accurate.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  16. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I played mine for over 2 hours today through my Mesa Studio .22, in my home studio. This guitar rocks.

[​IMG]

gwjensen and teleNtweed like this.
  17. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Not trying to take issue, but I too am curious as to why a Broadcaster for the starting point?

BenTobith likes this.
  18. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

Because it would have been no different if I spent 2 grand on an American Original or any other production tele.

Crobbins likes this.
  19. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

You've got to start with something when putting your perfect Tele together. The new Broadcaster seems as good a place to start from as any – after all, you won't get a neck with a Broadcaster decal anywhere else (at least not a genuine Fender one).

20. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

It's not that difficult. You think that some famous tele players are actually playing real broadcasters onstage?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.