NGD: 70th Anniversary Broadcaster. Impressions. And pics, pics, pics...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rze99, Feb 2, 2020.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Beautiful guitar!

rze99 likes this.
  2. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

How's the pickups in terms of twangyness? I sometimes hear that these are a tad mid-focused and not really the right fit for some Bakersfield country. Can you elaborate on that?

3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Richer, nuttier certainly. It can twang but I would not buy a Broadcaster specifically for twang.

Perhaps have a listen to the quick pickup sound clips I posted..... ;)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Thanasis and AlbertoMilanese like this.
  4. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

I'm sorry, it seems my adblocker may have blocked those.. thanks for the heads-up!

5. Thanasis

Thanasis TDPRI Member

That's twangy.

rze99 likes this.
  6. rze99

I was testing for that. The Deluxe reverb preset I used on the Yamaha is very scooped which also emphasises. Put a bit of compressor and short delay and you are there.

But it’s not as twangy as say my AVRI 64. That’s v twangy!

I’m not normally a clean twanger. I’ll maybe post some with breaking up Vox and tweed tones more my thing.

dtyndall and Thanasis like this.
  7. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

Yes, absolutely. IMO the only reason Fender supply the blend wiring in the case is because, deep down, the people behind this reissue know that a Broadcaster should have the blend wiring but they haven't quite got the balls to sell it in that configuration. I guess they are concerned that it will hold back potential sales so instead they provide the wring in the case as an option.

Crobbins and rze99 like this.
  8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

It sounds very good, just the way a great tele bridge PU should sound.

And more importantly… you appear to know how to handle a tele :D

rze99 likes this.
  9. rze99

I’ve been playing mine tonight for a couple of hours and I have to say these pickups are fantastic for that 50s thing. I don’t know whether they are “better” than anything but they sound great especially with a touch of gain. My sweet spot.

Crobbins and Electric Warrior like this.
  10. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ TDPRI Member

Great write-up- thanks! I’m curious about the blender wiring supplied. I was thinking it would be a new set of pots already wired. Your photos seem to show just an envelope. Is this alternate wiring just a diagram?

MilwMark likes this.
  11. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

It's a resistor and a diagram.

20200213_203233.jpg

Erebia and Crobbins like this.
  12. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

Must admit, when I read the specs, I thought the supplied kit was going to be a pre-wired control plate.

EspyHop and DaveG_NJ like this.
  13. billboyd

billboyd NEW MEMBER!

Very nice, she's stunningly beautiful......

rze99 likes this.
  14. rze99

Thank you and warm welcome to the forum. Start saving now because if this site doesn't make you wanna buy or make gear, none will.

Clifton C and mimmo like this.
  15. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I stupidly sold my beloved AV52 a few months ago. I had that guitar for 7 years. I had just bought my first core PRS was under the spell of the honeymoon phase. I thought it would be my lifetime guitar. I was wrong. While it is a superb guitar in every way it's not a Tele, and I'm a Tele Man through and through and now I find myself Teleless and it is awful. So long story short PRS is outgoing and I am thinking really hard about one of these. Has anyone who has had experience with the 2012-2017 AV 52s compared these two models yet? How are the necks? Similar? Pups? Etc? Thanks in advance!

Sinner1980 likes this.
  16. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ TDPRI Member

Me too. I figured it wouldn't be a full plate with knobs, but all the pots and switch wired to a fiberboard like Emerson does. Just swap out the pickup leads and the plate and knobs. Nope. It is literally a resistor and a diagram. :mad: Not even some extra period-correct push-back cloth wiring. A 10¢ resistor and a diagram that can be downloaded from the internet. Yay. Hardly a wiring "kit".

But that's niggling. I got mine today and it's sweet. I never really warmed up to the blackguard look. It just seemed so overdone, but the thin nitro over the grain looks great on this guitar and it smells like every Martin I've owned. Intoxicating (or toxic). LOL.

Tomorrow, I'll get it set up, but so far, I'm impressed. Time will tell where it fits into my lineup.

Crobbins, gwjensen, Erebia and 2 others like this.
  17. Mikesk

Mikesk TDPRI Member

Wow !! Beautiful

rze99 likes this.
  18. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

I went to a well stocked London guitar shop yesterday to try some Strats. I didn't really enjoy any of the Strats I tried (AO 50s felt ok) but the shop assistant told me they had the new Broadcaster. I instantly felt at home with that (which is probably not surprising because in my short time with electric guitars I've only really known a Tele). It had a really fine 2 piece body – the grain looked beautiful and the pale finish showed off that finish well. Sounded great too. I was surprised that I couldn't feel the extra radius on the neck compared with my AO 9.5". If I was to nitpick, the neck also felt slightly less smooth and rounded than the one I'm used to but that is presumably because the Broadcaster neck is brand spanking new. If I was to further nitpick, I'd also suggest that the neck is a little too richly toned. However, all in all, I'd say that the new Broadcaster is the most desirable of the 50s Tele models that Fender currently offer. If I didn't already own an AO 50s with a neck that I really like (and with handwound CS Nocaster pickups that I recently bought) I'd certainly be looking at acquiring the new Broadcaster. I still might get one before the year is out. I'm not a guitar collector and only own one electric but the opportunity to own a Fender made Broadcaster doesn't come up that often and I think I could make room for a second Tele. Especially if I have it wired as a proper Broadcaster in blender mode.

19. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

that's a stunner!

20. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Can’t wait to get my hands on one... my Local independent is expecting some this month.... I keep checking... I’d rather have an actual kit than the strap and cable... a resistor and diagram is kind of cheesy... wont keep me from buying one, though....

Crobbins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.