1. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

I'll buy me a strat again another time. I swapped my last strat player for this excellent 1968 Telecaster (last eight gigs I almost didn't touch my so cool strat, I think I'm back to pure Telecaster love!). This one is a monster. Apparently it came out of the factory with a bigsby and somebody turned it into a regular tele later, so it has non-professional string holes on the back and a random bridge. Other than that it's all original, even the frets, they're pretty low but the neck is so good that it's still a joy for the fingers. I wasn't sure to take the swap, but this guitar is so good, I felt from my chair. Just curious, do anybody have an idea of what bridge this is ? Couldn't find in my doc what this number stands for…

La 68!.JPG La 68!4.png

Attached Files:

d barham, bumnote, Quinn23 and 25 others like this.
  2. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Wow! Congrats to you. You know how to pick 'em.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Skamania, savofenno and Major Gruber like this.
  3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I think the A on the bridge is indicative of an early MIJ but someone may correct me.

hemmings, savofenno, 2blue2 and 2 others like this.
  4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

No, you are correct.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very nice!

Major Gruber and dan1952 like this.
  6. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Looks a lot like this one. I wonder...

Skamania, savofenno and Major Gruber like this.
  7. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You did the right thing. It's dandy!

Major Gruber likes this.
  8. Major Gruber

:lol:

9. Major Gruber

Ok thanks:)

10. jackdc100

jackdc100 Tele-Meister

Beautiful! Looks a lot like my '71.

11. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

Very nice! And it looks like it has been used well! That's always a good sign. Enjoy!

savofenno likes this.
  12. Dan R

Major Gruber, don't you have several vintage Fenders? I remember from reading your posts that you are very knowledgeable about them.

13. Major Gruber

Hi Dan, as you ask, I wish I had several vintage Fenders, but in fact, I had them in the time in my long quest to find my best instrument. This is my 13th Telecaster in 9 years and the strat I swapped was my 4th. I learned a lot in order to hunt player grade guitars on ebay, reading all possible books and building a visual documentation of more than 700 instruments, so that's why I'm often abble to provide comparison pictures in the discussions. This quest seemed to have an end as I was very happy with the 67 I restored and had refinished in teal green and a magic partcaster that appeared suddenly when I had the idea to put together all the spare parts I had collected after all this activity. So when this guy reached me, he had tried my strat in the past in the shop I found it, and had been dreaming of it ever since (very good strat indeed). So he travelled 500 kilometers to propose me this tele that blew my mind, in exchange. So now I have three Telecasters… I do appreciate this way life sends me nice instruments. Maybe my strong desire for a vintage telly that suits me is still working, but now as a karma… :D

MY TELLIES.jpeg

kingmlg, robinn, Skamania and 4 others like this.
  14. Dan R

Thanks for telling your story. That's very interesting. Those are some sweet telecasters.

Major Gruber likes this.
  15. ltdave32

ltdave32 Tele-Meister

That guitar, bridge and all, Is near identical to my best friend's January 1968 Tele which we rescued from a Los Angeles Pawn Shop back in the early 1980's.

Only difference is the paint on my buddy's is lighter. Everything else is identical, right down to the bridge and saddles, tuners, decal, etc.

Skamania and Major Gruber like this.
  16. Major Gruber

Nice! It'd be great to bring them together and compare them. Too bad there's an ocean and a whole continent between us ;)

Skamania likes this.
  17. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Hot!

18. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

On the bridge issue, note that an Asian vintage style bridge plate and a US vintage bridge plate make a different sound when dropped a few inches on to a table. Yes, I tested this once before switching to the US plate.

It used to seem like Asian bridge pieces were always Allen screws instead of slots, so you may actually have US slugs and screws. But maybe there were some Japanese slotted screws, in which case they may be metric sized rather than SAE, the conversion always being slightly smaller.

Picture of bridge shows string misalignment on the threads, common problem with the threaded slugs. Note that the '68 up stainless steel slugs' big groove takes care of the string path problem.

Nice guitar.

19. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nice, Major Gruber!

Major Gruber likes this.
  20. Major Gruber

I was wrong, there was no factory bigsby, everything is normal under the bridge (I don't ever want to feel like I did that day). So for some reason the original bridge has disappeared while the regular gear for bigsby hasn't been set. Maybe the bridge have been modified in some ways, then changed for a normal one. I don't know what has happened with the holes and ferrules on the back, maybe they've been filled and redrilled. Many things can happen in 51 years indeed. So, it'll be worth purchasing an genuine bridge thus.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.