NGD 64 Reissue!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blackguardstu, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

The '59 Strats are mighty nice! The '65 seems to have a lot of folks excited, too.

2. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I've had the '59 and a couple of '56s. Sold them all of more Teles.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks guys...

I see the '59 described with a D neck, which I have to assume is the same as my '58 Tele. Frankly it's a bit weird. Acceptable, but not my favorite neck. It might (actually has done) put me off buying the '59...

I've got CS examples of 57 and 63, which are probably no different than the 56 and 65... certainly I cannot justify -- even to me :eek: -- buying them without selling the CS. And why... I have perfectly good guitars.

I just wondered if I'm missing a 64-like experience somewhere in the Strat realm.

4. FredDairy

Fender has updated the '52 RI how many times?
    Maybe it will change?

How long was the '62 RI around for. I still feel like the '64 is a pretty young reissue. If they discontinue it I'll start hoarding them even more.

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with you. 62 Custom RI was around for a good while (10 years or more?).

They may tweak the design again at some point but I doubt it would be soon. They got it right. As for hoarding them, I was getting another when I found that Dakota Red Custom shop. Even with that I may buy another 64. Playing mine a great deal over the past week and have bonded even more with it.

6. moosie

LOL.

I've never owned one of the old AVRI series, but I've played a few of those 52s, and it seems the PV series is a significant step up. Which serves to further narrow the gap to CS. Perhaps for Fender, dangerously narrow.

I'm more of a CS lover than basher, but hand me a PV64 and a CS64 or similar, and I'm seeing the same (or better) features, for less money. Unless you want a relic, of course.

Nevermind. I'm glad Fender is producing such nice stuff.

I don't yet have a PV52, because I bought a CS instead. Roughly same price, but I may swap. Then the decks will be clear to accumulate a second 64...

7. burntfrijoles

If you have two CS Strats I doubt you'll do much better with any of the AV Strats (Pure Vintage specs). I also have two CS Strats, both Wildwood 10's. The 57 is NOS and my playing guitar. The 63 is a Relic and also a fine instrument (though it's the last Relic I will buy).

In the case of the 64 I just think they got it totally right in terms of design, production and period correctness. It just hits the "Sweet Spot".

8. FredDairy

I hear where you're coming from.

I had a couple of Nocasters and 1963 NOS Custom Shop jobbers and I've been saying it since I've picked up my '64 and newer '52 RI. These guitars are about the same and when you factor in I still take these out into bars everyone in awhile the price difference is worth it to me.

9. moosie

I know... first world problems, and then some...

My Tele is a WW10 ('52 NOS), and it's nice, but not as nice as my Strats, which are both part of PGS's now defunct Total Tone dealer select line. They are indeed wonderful.

I'm an intermediate player, and I don't have the opportunity to play out due to health issues. So I practice at home (constantly) with truefire courses. I'm working through a Soul Licks course right now, and with the '64 Tele, and the fact that hearing that music reminds me of when I was a kid... It's friggin awesome. And I don't particularly like soul. :lol: (but I do like Steve Cropper)

10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

FWIW it is very hard to find a 62 AVRI Tele Custom for sale. Plenty of MIJ versions but AVRI 62's tend to be keepers. Looks like the PV 64 is going to be in that same category.

Congrats on a beautiful guitar :cool:

11. burntfrijoles

I foolishly sold mine about 3 or 4 years ago and I have regretted that decision greatly.

IMO the 64 is a better overall guitar but the 62 was sweet. That double bound body in sunburst was great and the black "tuxedo" is as classy as it gets.

blackguardstu has a great guitar with that classic white blonde so he is set!!

12. Blackguardstu

Blackguardstu TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, going on what's been said about the 62 avri it is so hard to find I was looking for one for around 2 years after playing a genuine 65 custom. Only seen 2 for sale. One was too expensive the other too far away glad I have the 64ri though it's an amazing guitar. Would really like a pv52 now as I just sold my 52avri.

13. halouis

halouis Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.