1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD '52 Reissue (again)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sir humphrey, Aug 23, 2014.

1. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I just can't seem to stop myself - found a 52 reissue at a good price on eBay and bid for it, expecting it to go higher. It didn't - so I have another one now. Not sure how that happened. I'll have to sell something before the wife finds out.

Anyway, it won't arrive for a few days so no pics yet. Some after market pickups in there that will go straight back on eBay and replaced by the proper ones, but looks good nick for a 2001 AVRI.

2. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I've noticed the price on them has come back down to a more reasonable level. Saw a couple this past week that I was watching but really need to sort through my collection a thin it out a little.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  3. sir humphrey

Yeah - the prices got silly for a while. I was seeing them regularly go up with a starting price of £1000 ($1700) - even for fairly tatty examples.

Seems to calmed down now, like you say.

4. xtrajerry

I blame it on greedy sellers trying to bump up the price based on the price of the PV's..

5. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

It's not necessarily greedy but basic economics. That's how the market works. If the price of new ones goes up, that drives a price increase on the used ones as well.

6. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Know the feeling ;)

Wife says " why 3? They all sound the same" Lol I stopped trying to explain because the danger of an argument ending with me saying sorry and her with a new handbag ( why does need 50 or so? ) :)

7. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Its Ebay, things sometimes go for crazy money. Only place I know a five year old laptop will sell for more than a brand new one.

8. xtrajerry

What gets me is the # of people that will go to eBay to find out what something is worth.. one bidder goes crazy and over pays now they are all worth the crazy money.

9. xtrajerry

With any of the former AVRI or similar models there are sellers that are looking to capitalize on the confused buyer. Not all but the ones that I see do it are the ones that are also retailers.

10. sir humphrey

I think they get found out eventually. I had a budget for an AVRI in my head and have been watching lots of them for a while waiting for things to settle down. Over the last few months I saw plenty going on for way over what they are worth - but increasingly they weren't selling. I'm very happy with the price I got, which was right at the bottom of the price range I'd set. I think partly because it had after market pickups in - but they are good pickups and I won't lose much trading out for the Original Vintages.

I think the trick with eBay is to not buy in a hurry there. Whatever you are looking for will eventually come up for the right price if you play the long game.

11. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just don't ever set them beside each other.

12. sir humphrey

Lol. The last time I bought an AVRI my wife asked me what guitar I'd bought this time. I told it was a cheap Chinese knock-off that cost next to nothing. Luckily, she doesn't know the first thing about guitars!

13. xtrajerry

The one I was looking at expired with 0 bids.. haven't seen it get reposted..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.