NGD - 52 AVRI Telecaster.. my 1st tele!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by michael6136, Sep 8, 2015.

1. michael6136

michael6136 TDPRI Member

Hey all... Got myself a present for working my butt off the last year.. I got a AV52 Telecaster.. not sure how old but it was one that came with the old school wiring which has since been changed to "modern"... so it's from that 'era' of them, whenever that was? haha..

This guitar has blown me away... It's like a time machine.. It's extremely fun to play and I cant help but get inspired by thinking "this is what it felt like" for those guys in the early 50's.. Really cool!! I cant describe it compared to other guitars other than, I feel this guitar is slightly harder to play but more addictive than anything else.. but having said that I can shred really well on it... It's hard to explain.. I'm sure you guys all get it hehe.

No surprise that Telecaster players and generally guys from the 50's played so well!... this guitar is amazing to experiment with. It's my new practice and teaching guitar from here on in.. I wont play it in the hard rock band for obvious reasons that it wont sound like a saturated les paul, however I decided to get a telecaster to inspire me.. and it sure has!! Bends are really fun on it.. they are harder to do but are extremely rewarding to hear... Pics to come soon after I eventually put the guitar down :p

tristesse likes this.
  2. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

Congratulations on a very good choice for your first tele......enjoy!

3. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Great choice, congrats. I got a 2007 used some years ago and love it. A classic style Tele. I kept mine stock other than a 4 way switch.

Members will harass you for pictures any second now.

Pictures or it didn't happen. See told you ha ha.

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

As long as your pickups are potted, I would give it a trial run before leaving it home like Cinderella from the rock gig. While it won't sound like a Les Paul, Teles do everything well, including crunchy rock and metal. Not sure how your vintage-voiced 50s-style pickups would fare, but we'd probably both be surprised.

Even if this one can't hang, you could throw some Bardens in a partscaster or Standard and tear it up all night.

Just check out Mike Stand from the Altar Boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U09qMAmIuCE

Yup, they do punk rock too...

It really is the most versatile guitar out there in my opinion.

Congrats on your acquisition and much happy twanging wished upon you!

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, heh...YEAH!! Where's the PROOF?! haha.

Pics to win, Mike. ;)

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats.

7. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Actually your tele can sound like a saturated led paul.

Listen to Zep I and II.

HNGD. Pics please. :D

8. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

Congrats. Great choice.

9. michael6136

michael6136 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys! Pics coming soon! haha... 2am here now! Been playing her all night. I've owned many types of guitars and this tele has to be the most manly guitar I own! I'll try it in the rock band... it's saturated twice as hard as zep... (unfortunately... I am the session player haha) - maybe i'll have to start another band with a tele / AC30 vibe :)

10. electrablue

electrablue Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats!

11. michael6136

michael6136 TDPRI Member

I'm not much of a photographer but heres a couple snaps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. kaiserthegreat

kaiserthegreat Tele-Meister

Congrats, HNGD! Nice guitar/amp combo you got there now.

13. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very nice! Looks like one of the newer "pure vintage" ones, post-2012, that came with modern wiring, thinner finish, and beefier neck. Also yellower finish compared to the old AVRI BSB.

14. freakengine

freakengine TDPRI Member

Very nice. I have a 1999 52RI but I wish it had the beefier neck and thinner finish the newer ones have. I'd say you can get almost any tone you want out of that axe. It'll just take a little work to figure out amp settings, etc. Congrats!

15. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

If you're gonna bust your Tele cherry you may as well do it right.

Enjoy

16. michael6136

michael6136 TDPRI Member

Yeah you guys are absolutely correct.. I was mistaken earlier about the guitars age. Yeah I too thought long and hard about which model to buy... I thought if I'm going to do it... Go all out and do it right :p

17. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I think you made a great choice.. Great guitar congrats..

18. michael6136

michael6136 TDPRI Member

Thank you :) This guitar has instantly got me listening to James Burton, Danny Gatton and Steve Cropper... Theres plenty more I know, but for now I cant stop going between these 3 guys and learning and imitating as much as I can.. this guitar is a game changer for me!

19. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I kinda like the old school reissues. There's something nice about the transparent finish, smaller necks and vintage wiring. Sure, they're more accurate these days, but the opaque finish and pale necks mean they all look the same to me. I wish Fender would offer the new PV52 Tele with the option of vintage wiring and the old transparent Butterscotch finish.

20. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I have one of these, and they're blackguard heaven. Fender got all the details right with these post-2012 AV '52 models. The neck is a dream, and gives off so many great vibes when combined with the vintage single coils. I love the little touches of the bakelite 5-flathead screw pickguard and old school dome knobs and switch tip.

Note that these aren't actually reproductions: there are a couple of modern player-centric touches here that aren't visible unless you look closely. IMO they made the right decision by using modern wiring this time around (the modern 3-way Tele switching is the most practical), and the frets are not 100% vintage: they are a bit higher and more substantial than vintage frets, but nowhere near "jumbo."

Another thing I love about these is that if it's late at night and you can't make noise playing through an amp, you can play or practice unplugged and still hear every note. I think that has something to do with the thickness of the U-shaped neck.

The finish, to me, is so much more appealing than the older, pre-2012 AVRI "pumpkincasters." It's a wonderful washed out blonde, there's no orange tint anymore. It's dripping with vintage vibe.

I know you'll enjoy playing out with this one! You should give in and just start gigging it. I've known at least one player I admire who switched away from Gibson after getting a Telecaster.

tristesse likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.