NGD - 2022 Fender American Pro II Strat

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I've been seeking a Strat to replace the Schecter Nick Johnston that I've had since last September - the NJs a great guitar, super value, but it also has a thinner neck with a flatter radius than what works best for me. The NJ was sold a few weeks ago, but I've been "auditioning" since June.

The closest was a Fender JV Modfied 60s Strat - a great guitar, but ultimately I decided that "big very soft V" shape didn't work for me either - but I gave it over 30 days trial before returning it because it was such a nice guitar.

I took a shot ordering an American Performer Strat that while it was one of the nicest looking ones I've come across (the white/rosewood board/black pickguard combo) it (a) had a defective switch and (b) was one of the worst sounding examples of the American Performer Strat I've tried out. I would have just had the switch fixed if had sounded good.

So while returning the American Performer I said "what the hell" and tried out every American Pro II Strat that the local GC had in stock and this one in Miami Blue with the maple fingerboard came home with me. I decided that I'm keep this one and see where the chips fall over the next few months. So far so good - I will admit to not liking the original American Professionals so I never really tried the Pro IIs, but this particular one just grabbed me with the neck feel, sound and overall feel. So it's a keeper (for the moment). This is a very hard color to photo - plus the paint scheme in our house tends to suck a bit of the color out - it's kind of in-between the case shot and the other 2 shots:

1aarQ6ql.jpg

OA6hLDFl.jpg

X13NYRFl.jpg

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Sweet if it was rw fingerboard I would fight you for it, Just kidding about the fighting part. Great guitar. I bought two American pros and didn't keep them a full year, I know what you mean about the first iteration of "Pro's" of recent. Something just wasn't "right" about them, even though I ran out of GC with them both. The love affair was short lived.

I am having to put a new neck on my ultra and I think that will be my last guitar. (Very similar to your pro ii.)

Plus, I'm getting old!

Enjoy, great looking addition to your collection.

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm enjoying it so far - over the weekend I decked the tremolo and swapped in Fender locking tuners (just for convenience because I hate trying to get good winds on the Fender short post tuners - I thought hard about putting on the Classicgear vintage split post tuners but eventually decided on the lockers) when I changed the strings. I will eventually have it set up a bit better by a tech - make sure that I decked it right and adjust the action as needed as I just tightened up the claw to deck it.

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
I've been seeking a Strat to replace the Schecter Nick Johnston that I've had since last September - the NJs a great guitar, super value, but it also has a thinner neck with a flatter radius than what works best for me. The NJ was sold a few weeks ago, but I've been "auditioning" since June.

The closest was a Fender JV Modfied 60s Strat - a great guitar, but ultimately I decided that "big very soft V" shape didn't work for me either - but I gave it over 30 days trial before returning it because it was such a nice guitar.

I took a shot ordering an American Performer Strat that while it was one of the nicest looking ones I've come across (the white/rosewood board/black pickguard combo) it (a) had a defective switch and (b) was one of the worst sounding examples of the American Performer Strat I've tried out. I would have just had the switch fixed if had sounded good.

So while returning the American Performer I said "what the hell" and tried out every American Pro II Strat that the local GC had in stock and this one in Miami Blue with the maple fingerboard came home with me. I decided that I'm keep this one and see where the chips fall over the next few months. So far so good - I will admit to not liking the original American Professionals so I never really tried the Pro IIs, but this particular one just grabbed me with the neck feel, sound and overall feel. So it's a keeper (for the moment). This is a very hard color to photo - plus the paint scheme in our house tends to suck a bit of the color out - it's kind of in-between the case shot and the other 2 shots:

1aarQ6ql.jpg

OA6hLDFl.jpg

X13NYRFl.jpg

You chose a beautiful guitar--congratulations! How would you describe the sound of the pickups?

Regarding the Fender JV Modfied 60s Strat, what didn't you like about the neck? Were those "vintage" frets, or medium-jumbo? Those are pretty guitars too.

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
You chose a beautiful guitar--congratulations! How would you describe the sound of the pickups?

Regarding the Fender JV Modfied 60s Strat, what didn't you like about the neck? Were those "vintage" frets, or medium-jumbo? Those are pretty guitars too.

They are in the realm of any vintage-type Strat pickup but slightly warmer or maybe less brittle/bright.

For the JV Modified - I have a bit of a left-hand issue where I can get pain in the thumb joint; I'm a lefty playing righty and for decades I had a job where part of the work included taking notes from interviews, focus groups, etc. longhand (something that these days I have someone else transcribe). S for me it's all about the shape of the neck - too much shoulder like a D or U shape will make it hurt, but also not enough support for the thumb joint will make it hurt. In the case of the JV that soft V neck was the combination of just a bit too thick and not quite enough support for the thumb joint (particularly when playing single note runs) to keep it from hurting. The frets are definitely medium jumbo, and they were polished to perfection. If anything it was better built than my American Performer Tele and was at least the equal of this American Pro II Strat.

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
They are in the realm of any vintage-type Strat pickup but slightly warmer or maybe less brittle/bright.

For the JV Modified - I have a bit of a left-hand issue where I can get pain in the thumb joint; I'm a lefty playing righty and for decades I had a job where part of the work included taking notes from interviews, focus groups, etc. longhand (something that these days I have someone else transcribe). S for me it's all about the shape of the neck - too much shoulder like a D or U shape will make it hurt, but also not enough support for the thumb joint will make it hurt. In the case of the JV that soft V neck was the combination of just a bit too thick and not quite enough support for the thumb joint (particularly when playing single note runs) to keep it from hurting. The frets are definitely medium jumbo, and they were polished to perfection. If anything it was better built than my American Performer Tele and was at least the equal of this American Pro II Strat.

Thank you so much (as always!) for your detailed and informed reply! That particular Strat had been hovering around the edges of my interest--your information just shoved it into the "I should play one of those" categories. Have a good night.

Strarcries

TDPRI Member

1aarQ6ql.jpg

OA6hLDFl.jpg

X13NYRFl.jpg
I love that that guitar and its color and maple neck. Everytime I go to GC I always see that guitar and want one really bad. I had my wife come take a look at it hoping she would drop some sort of msg to buy it. She said, yeah that's nice. Well, it's gone now and probably for the best.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's

1aarQ6ql.jpg

OA6hLDFl.jpg

X13NYRFl.jpg

Beautiful! Congrats!

Linkslover

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm enjoying it so far - over the weekend I decked the tremolo and swapped in Fender locking tuners (just for convenience because I hate trying to get good winds on the Fender short post tuners - I thought hard about putting on the Classicgear vintage split post tuners but eventually decided on the lockers) when I changed the strings. I will eventually have it set up a bit better by a tech - make sure that I decked it right and adjust the action as needed as I just tightened up the claw to deck it.
Just curious. What kind of pups did it have. I tried the American Professional when it first came out to replace the American Standard and thought the American Standard, which I bought, had far superior tones.

Wondering if they changed pups for the AP II.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member

1aarQ6ql.jpg

OA6hLDFl.jpg

X13NYRFl.jpg
Congrats :cool:

Picked up an Am Pro II Strat myself last year from Sweetwater. Loving the BatSrat 🥰

20211001_233545482_iOS.jpg 20221112_165427879_iOS.jpg 20210928_163514922_iOS.jpg