NGD: 2020 Gibson G-45 Studio....not the Generation series....

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I saw this guitar in a local shop, pretty much untouched since it was made in 2020. Started doing my research and thought that these had zero respect. The guitar sounded really good and has great projection compared to my current Yamaha A1M, which sounds more scooped in comparison. I was confused. It seems the ancestor to this particluar model is the Generation series, which does seem like a cost cutting effort by Gibson and its not as good as its predecessor. I can't say that I am a fan of the player port on the new one, which this guitar does not have. It came with the nice gibson case and accessories kit. < $1K for an American made solid woods guitar seems like a great thing.

I am very happy with the sound of this one and can't wait to get a fresh set of strings on - I think it has the factory stings on it now. Its functional, has a nice wood grain, and will meet my needs very well.

Attachments

• tempImageSgguKl.png
    tempImageSgguKl.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • tempImageA6TmE0.png
    tempImageA6TmE0.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • tempImage1nfRSf.png
    tempImage1nfRSf.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Congrats! Looks like a very nice guitar to play, enjoy.

I like it. Playing my Yamaha, which is a dreadnought cutaway, I felt like I was holding a massive brick under my arm (I am mostly on electrics.) The slightly thinner depth of the G-45 is nice - while it may go against purist dreadnought sentiment, I find it more comfortable, and if I understand the physics of it correctly, a less boomy bottom end and more projection - I love both of those things about it.

I don't spend a lot of time in acoustic land, but I have had a Cedar top Takamine, Norman (Godin), Yamaha, Baby Taylor, and now a Gibson. They all sound different and I quite like the mids-emphasis the Gibson has over others, IIRC. Maybe I will come to not like that over time as my acoustic prowess grows, but this checks the boxes for me at this time.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
I like it. Playing my Yamaha, which is a dreadnought cutaway, I felt like I was holding a massive brick under my arm (I am mostly on electrics.) The slightly thinner depth of the G-45 is nice - while it may go against purist dreadnought sentiment, I find it more comfortable, and if I understand the physics of it correctly, a less boomy bottom end and more projection - I love both of those things about it.

I don't spend a lot of time in acoustic land, but I have had a Cedar top Takamine, Norman (Godin), Yamaha, Baby Taylor, and now a Gibson. They all sound different and I quite like the mids-emphasis the Gibson has over others, IIRC. Maybe I will come to not like that over time as my acoustic prowess grows, but this checks the boxes for me at this time.

Funny that you are saying this. I perfectly understand what you mean: I have picked up a Gibson J-45 literally one hour ago and having an Epiphone dreadnought cutaway I feel exactly like you with your Yamaha.

Enjoy your Gibson (and all the others) for many years!

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
In the late-1990s Bozeman came out with their first "budget" line - the WM series which sold for about $1K. Problem was Gibson apparently did not have much faith in them. Three of the four models lasted only some three years and even then were made in such limited numbers that even big box stores like GC had trouble getting them in. I used to have a WM-00 which although having the 14 3/4" wide body sported a full jumbo body depth and of all things a 1 3/4" nut.

Last edited: