NGD 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mimmo, Apr 10, 2020.

1. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

It was exactly the same for me. These new epiphone's are really appealing and personally I have been debating with myself before making my decision: the SG Worn Classic was calling my name loudly! I really love @richey88 's one :cool:
    The neck was the factor that pushed me towards the LP Special (I was not prepared for a neck THAT huge!) but I am pretty sure that I could have been perfectly happy with an SG like that one.

I play similar music to yours and I don't think you could go wrong with any of these guitars (personally I'd go P90 but what do I know), so happy hunting and stay safe :)

richey88 likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

The TV yellow Special, I swear is one of the coolest-looking guitars I've ever seen
    - the smooth/seamless body that melts into the neck, the pickups/controls/ bridge-wow! I only wish ( hope!) that Epi would do the same guitar in Cherry mahogany

BTW, I don't know how to link here, but the British guitar magazine " Guitar" has an online print review+video demo of 3 of the guitars in the ' inspired by Gibson' series ( goes into detail in the review and specs)
    The guitars showcased are:
    tte TV Speical like OP's, a '50's style cherry SB Les Paul , and the SG Standard ( this one is like a '66, with batwing pickguard) I want ALL of them!

The guitarist in the video has a great touch and plays the same fun blues piece, on each guitar ( love the playing and the amp tone, it is right up my alley)

Worth a Google!

BTW, I'm not an Epi salesman, just excited ( and frustrated NOT gigging!).

mimmo likes this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

:cool::cool::cool:

Thats one of the few still in the GAS list...

Ditchgator and mimmo like this.
  4. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Congratulations on your new baby!
    Classic looking Les Paul, how can one go wrong with this?
    I am in the opposite situation, now I have P90s but luck humbuckers.
    Maybe in the next future...

5. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Holic

I love P90s, though I don't own a guitar with them. Another yellow guitar to add to your avatar? Makes me want to play ' In the town, where I was born, there lived a man who sailed the sea ........:rolleyes:

mimmo likes this.
  6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I saw that review, the three guitars got many compliments from the guy and he called the Special "a no brainer".
    Yes, these epiphone 's give bad GAS!

7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats! I love TV Yellow Les Pauls.
    Miss mine.

20F48DD5-E1A5-4E07-A453-B5B5FBB8F621.jpeg

mimmo likes this.
  8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Thanks! I spent about 4 hours with er yesterday and will do the same today.Neck is perfect for me, thought I had a fret issue way up, nope every note rings clear as a bell. Dig it!

Chiogtr4x, mimmo and duzie like this.
  9. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I just ordered one of these yesterday after watching demos and reading reviews. I'm already having buyer's remorse over buying something sight unseen. Can only hope I don't get a dud.

10. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I have yet to read a bad review of these guitars. Everyone seems to rave about them, so enjoy the waiting and most importantly the guitar once you receive it ;)

These are great little guitars, you won't be disappointed!

11. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I just had a bad experience with another MIC guitar, which I returned. The specs on this one sound great, but without seeing before buying you never know if you're going to get a hideous Laurel fretboard or a nice one, a boat anchor or one that's 7.5 lbs or under, a nice looking finish or one that's got blemishes. After the last debacle, I swore off MIC mail order guitars. But then I saw this one...

It's actually for my son as a graduation gift, but if it's really nice I might... No! Must not!

mimmo likes this.
  12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I hope you bought it from a dealer with a good return policy, that's what I do when forced to buy without trying. But - again - I am pretty confident that tour son will love it.

And no, you don't have to take it for yourself: you have to buy a second one for you! :)

13. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Well, it arrived today. Haven't spent much time with it, but first impressions are good:

1. Fretboard has a little bit of wavy grain to it, but it's not a deal killer. Overall looks pretty good actually.
    2. Action is really low, with no buzzing. I'd raise it a little because bends are harder with such low action and low frets.
    3. Neck looks either perfectly flat or with a slight backbow. Couldn't really tell.
    4. Fit and finish looks perfect. Couldn't find a flaw other than some dark smudgy crap on the nut.
    5. Weight is 7lbs 3 oz
    6. Sound is way beyond expectations. Superb!

This was purchased to give to my son. I think I'm going to have to get one for myself.

richey88 and mimmo like this.
  14. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I am so happy to hear that, my friend!
    Very nice score, this weight is crazy light for a LP which is a bonus.

Play (your son and you) it in very good health :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.