NGD 2019 Gibson Les Paul Jr. DC tribute

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by drmmrr55, Apr 24, 2020.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I bought one when they first came out, the faded cherry model. However, they were a lot more expensive then, they must have dropped the price. I had tuning issues with it but resolved that by switching out the stop bar that came with it for an intonatable stop bar bridge. It made a world of difference. I will be installing a bone nut as well. It will be a tunable monster then.

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

They went on a "clearance sale" pricing toward the end of 2019 - down to $550. I haven't heard anything about them being officially discontinued so maybe Gibson just had a large backlog of them in their warehouses that they wanted to sell off. That being said there also aren't that many of them left at GC/MF or the other large online dealers so there could have been an announcement that I missed.

4. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I paid full boat for mine too. Fretwork is perfect out of the box. I guess climate has an effect on the fretboard. It was terrible dry but lemon oil took care of this...

5. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Nice!!! So Cool.:D:D

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

D, if you are interested in taking a trip across the mountains, I live in wenatchee do fret dressing (and setups) all the time. We can do it safely if you decide you want me to fix them for you. I've got lots of threads here about my approach to frets and setups

ps - you probably already know that sharp fret ends are a sign of a dry (under humidified) guitar. That can affect other things, mostly on an acoustic. Unfortunately rehydrating doesn't fix them.

I'm also not a big believer in applying oils to fretboards, it can complicate work down the line. Cleaning with a damp cloth is usually enough as long as the guitar itself is hydrated

7. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I think those may have been one of the last runs by the Henry J ownership of Gibson. This new version of the company seems to have a different vision of what they want to release. I have been on the other side of the Gibson end of the year discounts so I can't complain too much.

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Possibly - there were 2 versions of the DC Jr. Tribute, the "2019 Model Year" with the jack on the pickguard and the "Modern Collection" version with the jack on the rim. Since the ownership/leadership changed over in May/June 2018 and the "2019 Model Year" series came out in August 2018 they were definitely the last of the Henry J era. The "Modern Collection" version should have been post-Henry since they came out in April 2019, but only company insiders would know if they really wanted to retain the model(s) or if they kept them just to have something in the lineup at the original price point.

9. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

I bought a 2019 Les Paul “Model” DC
    For the price GC was given how couldnt i buy one
    Love having P90 guitar again
    Im into that breaking up tube sound lately playing lot of Mountain and ACDC and sometimes humbuckers dont get gritty enough
    I got a good one no neck or fret work needed,,just couple turns down on the bridge on the wound side and adjusted pick up height and she was good to go
    Ive been lazy bout putting new strings on it,,,,IMHO Gibson scale guitars should have 10’s the stock 9’s are way to loose
    But it howls,,,,ill say the louder you go the better it sounds and feels
    I like to set volume and rely on picking dynamics for expression and P90’s are perfect for that
    Ive been playing it so much,i picked up my Les Paul custom the other day and it felt soooo weirdc

upload_2020-6-18_10-1-31.jpeg

richey88 likes this.
  10. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

For Anyone interested in these I have both versions: Original & Post2019 & can say the original is the one to get!

the originals have Professional Quality Kluson-style machine heads & more secure neck whilst later types have much of the neck tenon routed-out for a non-existent humbucker & the kinda tuners you’d find on cheaper epiphones...

they can be easily identified from online auction photos; music shop windows; etc by their output socket which originally is on the front of the guitar and mounted into the scratchplate/pickguard whereas the latter, lesser variants have a side mounted jack socket

I really like my pair & would even consider a 3rd Post2019 IF the price was right but if I were offered a choice of years for an equal price I’d ALWAYS choose an original ;)

DADGAD likes this.
  11. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

Just like mine!
    (I’d contact them & let them know you’ll be bringing it in for fret work after...you know what!)

12. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

If it has no side jack then ya got the BEST version & perhaps even the best colour!

13. UlricvonCatalyst

UlricvonCatalyst TDPRI Member

I don't doubt that they sound and play great, but I hate that Gibson have messed with the original design for no apparent reason (other than to thwart those hoping to one day be the owner of the classic version at an affordable price). I'm still kicking myself that I didn't (couldn't, actually) pony up the £500 a local shop was asking for the Billie Joe Armstrong double-cut a few years back. You snooze, you lose, and affordable Gibsons seem to be a thing of the past now, at least in the UK.

Anyway, enjoy your NGD - like I said, it probably plays and sounds smashing!

merseymale likes this.
  14. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

you are one of us, now..!!!

15. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

they do & the old ones are better in some ways BUT it IS, essentially, the same guitar;)

16. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

The Later ones are NOT as good IMHO -but I still keepin’ mine tho!! :p

17. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

There will always be those who feel that this model was a departure from the original and that this version may be better or not than this version, however, given time, they will take on a cult appreciation of their own and all will have their devoted fans.

merseymale likes this.
  18. merseymale

merseymale Tele-Meister

Yup & paint me one of this Cult!!

19. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

For me personally, I have been on a soapbox regarding replacing the original crappy stop tail wraparound with one that has intonateable saddles. I was initially really disappointed with this guitar because of tuning issues(it's actually a pet-peve of mine with any guitar). Once I swapped out that bridge and reset it up, it has become my go to guitar. A $14.00 upgrade made a complete transformation in my case.

20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

What bridge did ya get?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.