NGD 2019 Gibson Les Paul Jr. DC tribute

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by drmmrr55, Apr 24, 2020.

1. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Monday, I ordered a black Les Paul Jr. DC tribute from GC, and it arrived today! This thing really sounds killer, and will do almost everything I need with just a bridge P-90. I thought it was a crazy good deal at $549.00, and just couldn't keep my mouse button from clicking the "order" button.

It does however have a couple minor issues, it's the first Gibson I've ever purchased that has very sharp fret ends, and the rosewood fretboard is quite dry, and needs conditioning. These issues aren't enough for me to return it, but I'm reluctant to fix the fret ends myself, (because of poor eyesight), and finding a luthier to smooth them out is difficult because of you-know what.

Enough on the guitar's issues, but I do love this thing, and even though it needs a little work, I still think it was a great deal! So, here it is...
    Jr. tribute 2.jpg

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Cool. Glad you didn't get the blue one. They just don't look right.

HNGD!:)

merseymale likes this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

$550 for a Gibson? Nitro, rosewood board... I'm personally not a fan of black, or Jrs, but that's a winner for sure! Fret ends are a drag, but easily remedied, when things ease up a bit. Congrats!

merseymale likes this.
  4. pirate19

pirate19 TDPRI Member

Fret ends may even "fix themselves" once you oil up the fretboard and it gets some moisture. I've been lusting afrer those but recently grabbed a 2019 Gibson SG Jr, so my 1 pickup Jr GAS is satisfied (albeit at a highet cost....)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

merseymale, Paul G. and hdvades like this.
  5. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I think GC actually still has some at that price online. Black wasn't my first choice either, but I dragged my feet when they still had the cherry, and the brown, I don't like the blue at all, and black was all they had left. Not too popular I think, as this one is brand new, and the inspection tag and serial # are dated July 2019. But the black actually looks much better than I thought it would!

merseymale likes this.
  6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Junior's rule!
    Big congratulations!!

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

NICE! A I played a few of these in a shop about a year ago, and they are great guitars. If I didn't already have two LP Juniors, I'd spring for one of these new ones. Can't beat the price.

merseymale likes this.
  8. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Congratulations on your new guitar. I ran across these on the GC site a couple days ago. I don’t need another guitar, but at that price I’m sure tempted. So far I’ve been able to hold off. :D

merseymale likes this.
  9. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Awesome P-90 DC!
    +1 Get some proper lemon oil for that fretboard and in a few months the fret sprout issue might disappear. My '19 LP Special's was so light and dry it didn't even look like rosewood. Took me four double applications over about a two-three month period.
    Enjoy!

10. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I needed another guitar like I needed a hole in the head, but I lost the battle of holding off, which is why I ended up with the black one, instead of the brown that I would have ordered had I not resisted. (black is all they have left) Like you said, temptation got the best of me because it's very difficult to pass up a great deal! LOL

merseymale and tah1962 like this.
  11. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Lemon oil that board. The little bottle from GC has enough in it to do a couple hundred fret boards. Get you one. One day your grandkids can use it.

12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

congratulations a pinch here and a pinch there as your in like flinn.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks great. Congratulations!

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Mine needed the fretboard oiled as well, otherwise, an amazing axe, the fretwork on mine is flawless. Looks great in black! Rock on!
    jr blu.jpg

15. Bangdapoontwang

Bangdapoontwang Tele-Meister

Nice guitar at a great price! There is one for sale locally but the seller is asking way more money than the GC sale price. The seller states his 2019 Les Paul Jr DC faded black is a non tribute model? Even thought it has the same tuners, bridge, etc. ? Is that possible? It’s a pretty bare bones simple guitar. Why would they make Two different models so similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merseymale likes this.
  16. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

No, there wasn't a 2019 LP Jr. DC that was not a Tribute model other than the Historic version - and there would be no confusion between the production-line Tribute and the Historic reissue model.

The seller is likely confused between the two 2019 versions - the first version came out in August 2018 as part of Gibson's "2019 Model Year" series; this is the version with the output jack on the pickguard. When Gibson moved to their current "Original Collection/Modern Collection" series that was released in April 2019 the model was revised to have the rim-mounted output jack and they added the 2-pickup LP DC Special Tribute model (with the toggle switch in the spot on the pickguard where the output jack was originally); the "Modern Collection" version with the rim-mounted jack was $100 more than the original "2019 Model Year" version.

However, both models were called the "Les Paul Jr. Tribute DC" and Guitar Center has been selling the later version for the discounted price.

merseymale and Bangdapoontwang like this.
  17. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

How do you feel about it a month and a half after NGD? :)

I'm more and more interested in these so I'd love to hear your impressions so far.

merseymale and drmmrr55 like this.
  18. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

It's like my favorite guitar to play, and it sounds just incredible! I oiled the fretboard, (4 treatments), and the fretboard expanded quite a bit, but it still needed the ends dressed. I got that done, and now it's just hard to put it down. I get a better twangy sound out of it, than my Tele, which surprised me, and that P-90 really growls big time when you dig in! A great guitar for the $! Here's a new pic, the fretboard nice and dark now from being oiled...
    20200427_211019 (2).jpg

19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sexy all black. I love it!

20. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

Thank you for the reply! Very glad to hear you're enjoying it!
    I was looking at one like that yesterday, a 2019 model, and the board was so dry it was turning white. Plus it had the same thing with the super sharp frets.
    I'd love to get a similar model with 2 P90's. I'll keep my eyes open for a deal on a Special Tribute DC, think at around $500-600 it's no problem to take care of these issues, but I don't feel like it's worth paying full dollar for it AND having to pay for the frets.

merseymale likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.