NGD - 2018 Gibson SG Special

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ukepicker, Aug 12, 2019.

1. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I considered that when I bought it. I mean, 2018 probably isn't going down in the record books as Gibson's finest year.
    But this particular instrument is special. I have high hopes for its long life!

2. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

When I was looking up info on this guitar there was a lot of arguing on it back and forth online. Ultimately, I went with my gut and my hands and my ears. The guitar feels great in my hands, solid, and the finish is gorgeous. Sounds amazing. It's also, if I'm not mistaken (I'm no Gibson expert for sure), the only recent SG model with mini hums, before and after it came with P90s. So it is kind of Special, no pun intended. Hope you love yours as much as I do mine!

Edited to add: I saw people online disparaging it as the "Bankruptcy Special" and in a funny way that sealed it for me. It's an underdog for sure, and I like that.

ukepicker likes this.
  3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Thanks - I do like it. My hands and ears decided for me, too.
    I felt the same when I read about the "bankruptcy special". Gotta love an underdog!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  4. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

I traded my 83 Strat for an 18 SG special (and some $$) a few months back and I could not be happier. The mini's fill an interesting spot on the spectrum, tonally, somewhere between singles and buckers. You can really scrape some intersting sounds out of them. I have really enjoyed mine as well. If I didnt break the thumb on my damn left hand Id probably be playing it right now!

5. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

20190722_131857.jpg

Telecaster88 likes this.
  6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

RUIN load (2).jpg

Telecaster88 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.