NGD - 2014 American Standard

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jwmanz, May 31, 2019.

1. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

I just bought a 2014 American Standard. I recently sold a 1999 MIM Standard to fund it.

I’m really liking the American Standard. It has a great neck and the belly contour is really nice. It doesn’t hurt that I got it for a pretty good price on Reverb.

1F72EA2A-AE70-44CF-9DB7-F482DC3890BC.jpeg

2. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

She's a real looker! Congrats!

jwmanz likes this.
  3. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations man. That’s a keeper. Never had a tele with a belly cut.

jwmanz likes this.
  4. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

I intentionally went after the ‘12-‘16 range for the belly cut and the pickups. I found I like the belly cut even more than I thought. It is really nice when just lounging on the couch and noodling around on the Tele.

gentlyweeping likes this.
  5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice going.

jwmanz likes this.
  6. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Looks great with lots of black on the edges of the burst.Congratulations!!

jwmanz likes this.
  7. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Tele-Meister

In my opinion, that range of years for the Am Std series is the best I've ever encountered.

jwmanz likes this.
  8. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

congrats, great upgrade

jwmanz likes this.
  9. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Cool but that string tree looks wrong.

10. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

How so?

11. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

On the headstock by the A tuner looks like a string tree that is to be parallel to the nut.
    The pix is blurry for me.

12. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

String tree is correct. I have the same exact guitar but with a rosewood fretboard. The day it came in the mail I thought, this is a guitar i’d Take on any stage in the world — sounds great plays great stays in tune. I do wish mine was maple.

jwmanz likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

14. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Freakin' love the guitar! Love Reverb too! LOL

jwmanz likes this.
  15. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice catch! Congrats!

16. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Excellent , congrats ! As a recent 08 Tele owner, I am totally convinced that USA Fender made great guitars for both the 08 thru 12, then 12 and beyond. I sent the 08 I bought ( which just floored me when I picked it up at GC ) off to Forrest Lee jr and had the Bender installed. This guitar is as close to my all time favorite goto 1989 / 52 RI that a guitar can be. True , this one has a 9.5 profile compared to the 7.25 /52 RI profile, but it sure feels the same which is what attracted me to the guitar in the first place.

I went in to GC last NOV to buy a strap and some polish and came out with the used 08 Tele. It was hanging across the room on the USED wall for $799 and I was stunned that the NEW guitar area was packed with players/buyers trying out various Teles ( same prices) and walked right past this one. Well, NOT me ! I couldn't put it down so I bought it .

I did get a strap and polish as part of the deal !

Kinda looks like yours but no belly cut out.

Enjoy it !

IMG_9233.JPG

Attached Files:

17. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone for the compliments. @KC, you're right on, not that I'm playing any stages anytime soon, but I certainly feel confident playing it anywhere.

@Orpingtons Reverb is pretty great. It's good to know your price points going into. I watched this range of American Standards for a few months and had a really good idea of what's a fair price. So when I was ready to buy I just started messaging different sellers, asking some questions about the guitar, and if I felt good about the guitar, I started negotiating. It took a few different tries, but I found a seller willing to negotiate. He was really friendly and answered all my questions quickly. Overall it was a great experience.

@hdvades Maybe the picture is just blurry. My string tree looks just like the one shown in the picture @T Prior posted. Speaking of which, nice bender there @T Prior!

T Prior likes this.
  18. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

THX ! The Bender on the Tele is a Forrest Lee Jr system, its really excellent, very stable consistent and high quality. For me the issue was which guitar do I send to FL Jr, I was considering my 89/52 RI but was not sure. I have a Fender PG and a Gibson Music City with a Glaser system but as things go evidently I needed another . When I ran across this 08 at GC for $799 and played it, I knew. This is the one. I wasn't really sure of what I had in my hands but several TDPRI forum members chimed in and "educated" me. I stopped viewing various Tele models years ago as I have been a rock solid 52RI player for the past 20 years.

The main concern for me was $799 for very nice guitar, which it is , and another $650 for a bender system. Today looking back, it was maybe the best GUITAR decision I have ever made. I bring this Bender to every gig, every rehearsal. Its my daily practice guitar as well. I am now rethinking sending my 89/52 RI to FL Jr as well.

These USA guitars, this era, I am guessing 2008 and beyond are great guitars, 6 saddle steel bridges ,( vintage strat style) balanced pups, nice weight, excellent neck profiles, even though specd at 9.5 to me they feel like 7.25's. For the USED prices of 8 to 900, I cant imagine why they are not swooped up over the new models in the same price range hanging on the walls of guitar stores.

maybe just like I was, players are just not aware. When I decided to buy the 08 on the spot, the first thing that crossed my mind was " who would trade this USA made guitar in for another and why " ? Of course that question can never be answered. I hope they didn't trade it in for a slick looking new Tele for near the same price !

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    jwmanz likes this.
  19. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Great looking Tele!
    Congrats.

jwmanz likes this.
  20. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

@T Prior The nice thing from a buyer’s perspective is that a lot were made. So it’s not hard to find one in good shape at a good price ($750 in my case which included shipping).

T Prior likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.