1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: 2013 Schecter C-1 Custom in Trans Black

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by GreatDaneRock, Feb 24, 2019.

1. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Hi all.

GC lucky find! Mint Schecter C-1 Custom in Trans Black, 2013, with SD SH-11 Custom Custom bridge pup, and a SH-1N '59 in the neck, just sensational pairing.

I like Schecter very much to be honest, specifically C-1 series (C-1 Plus and C-1 Custom) made in South Korea. These instruments coming out of SK are world class machines, built with quality material and beautifully finished. Some models retail new for over $800-$1000. This particular C-1 Custom retailed at around $675-$725. Interestingly enough their re-sale value is not the best and I really lucked out with this one as they only wanted $299, done!

A lot of players including me think they sound very much like a LP and find them great alternatives to Gibsons, and frankly more versatile as I can get an incredible strat-like tone out of the neck in split-coil mode. The C-1 series uses Mahogany body and neck (though the Custom is 3-piece maple neck), rosewood FB or Ebony, Maple caps/veneers with beautiful AA/AAA figured and quilted finishes, and humbuckers that are usually PAF inspired.

The headstock shape can make or break a guitar and brand. I really like Schecter's, classy and a bit wavey. Unlike the LTD headstock (they are a bit related), the Sccheter headstock maintains good proportions throughout.

I'm very happy, this axe is gorgeous and not a ding on the finish, stunning craftsmanship.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I literally played the guitar all night, I maybe got 2hrs of sleep. I'm in total love with this guitar, just plays like a dream and sounds so powerful and with great presence. Here are the specs:

Neck:
    Fretboard: Ebony
    Neck Material: Maple 3-pc
    Inlays: MOP Split Crown
    Scale: 24.75” (628mm)
    Neck Shape: Thin ‘C’
    Thickness: @ 1st Fret- .787” (20mm)/ @ 12th Fret- .866” (22mm)
    Frets: 24 Medium
    Fretboard Radius: 14” (355mm)
    Nut: GraphTech XL Ivory Tusq
    Nut Width:1.653” (42mm)
    Tuners: Schecter Locking

Body
    Top Contour: Arched Top
    Construction: Set-Neck w/Ultra Access
    Body Material: Mahogany
    Top Material: Quilted Maple
    Binding: Crème Multi-ply
    Bridge: TonePros T3BT TOM w/ String Thru Body

Electronics
    Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan Custom Custom SH-11
    Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1N
    Controls: Volume/Volume/Tone(Push-Pull)/3-Way Switch

Any other Schecter enthusiasts? They do make a killer Tele guitar, the PT model.

GDR

Macrogats, Mincer, Zepfan and 3 others like this.
  2. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

That is a beautiful guitar

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  3. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Wonderful!

I do like Schecter guitars, my son too. He had a cheap Omen 6 until one year ago that was an impressive instrument, taking into account its low price. He has sold it to buy a 7 strings guitar, but couldn't stay on same brand.

I'm on the market to buy a Schecter for myself. Unfortunately, the brand isn't easy to find in my place.

4. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Yeah, Schecters are a bit unkown and hard to obtain in certain parts of the world. I'm originally from Chile and the guitars are not well known there either. Two days before picking up the Schecter guitar, while at GC I met a chilean shopping for a gibby, and told him about Schecters, he tried the one I ended up buying and loved the guitar and tones, but couldn't get past buying a brand he had never heard of, I can understand.

GDR

5. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

Congrats on your Schecter, yours is nice!

I just got a C-1 Blackjack with a FR and sustainiac (an earlier one without the gothic inlays) just like this one, they're kinda hard to find in purple. Seems Schecter makes different variants of these every couple of years, took a while to find the configuration i wanted. I agree with you, I think the quality and workmanship on these are awesome. I also agree about the headstock, epi is one example... I just can't hang with the headstock. Schecter's headstock IS cool.

Not sure I'm gonna keep it though. The neck is beautiful straight, nice ebony board, and it's great that it's not chunky (like a schecter explorer I tried), it's nice and thin, however it seems to be too wide. To me feels like a wide ibby or something just not as thin. The sustainiac is fun, it's got a US wound PU in the bridge (Apocalypse) which seems a bit too hot, very dirty, probably catering to the metal crowd who wants that sound. I haven't even put strings on it yet so I'll do a full eval when I get the right strings on it.

Enjoy that guitar! Post a sound clip!

6. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Congrats!! Schecters are one one of the best bang for the buck guitars out there!

Razzle and GreatDaneRock like this.
  7. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

That's a nice looking C-1 Blackjack mi amigo! I have tried a sustainiac system, it's quite impressive. Not my thing for the style that I play but impressive nonetheless. I plan on getting a Floyd Rose equipped guitar in the near future, just for flavor and variety.

Yes they are! I totally believe this and not only they look great, but they play extremely comfortable and butter smooth. I can get the action incredibly low and with very little buzz on my Schecters.

Andy Summers and Razzle like this.
  8. Andy Summers

Ive owned some in there 500-800 USD range and agree with you completely. Had a C-1 Classic with the vine inlay on the fretboard (not usually my kind of thing) but this guitar was killer. I still miss it.

9. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

a guitar player that regularly jams with me has a C-1 classic. I'm not too fond of the inlay pattern but that's a personal choice. What I did not bond with was the fact it had no coil splitting capability. That's an easy fix though. The guitar had tone for days with the JB/Jazz pickup combination.

Andy Summers likes this.
  10. Andy Summers

Yeah, the tone is killer on that guitar!! Those pickups are magic with it.

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

There's a local jam band called Tenth Mountain Division whose lead guitarist uses one similar to yours. It sounds good.

Here's a picture:

Tenth Mountain Division Inlays.jpg

Check out the inlays. :cool:

Happy New Guitar Day!

GreatDaneRock and Macrogats like this.
  12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 2008(?) C1+ and it's a fantastic guitar. That was $250 used. Enjoy!

13. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Wow dude. That is one fine looking guitar. Congrats on a great purchase.

14. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

That's a C series XXX. Great playing guitar, and not recommended for married players! LOL

That's awesome, my C1 plus is also a 2008 model, go figure. I love that guitar, and the neck, my new Schecter has the same "thin C" neck, just lovely. Not too thin, not too chunky, just right.

Thanks a lot. I took it to band practice Sunday and it just delivered, the tones I was getting were world class and the great mid presence and how it cut through the band, just great.

GDR

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

16. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Nice looking guitar. I owned a C1 Plus for quite a while. Agree with the build quality. Really great guitars and can be had for bargains used. Paid $225 for my C1 Plus from GC as well. Find them much more comfortable than a Les Pauls and approaches Les Paul tones.

17. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Man, some of you found your C-1 Plus model for cheap! I've owned three C-1 Plus guitars in a period of one year, let go two and kept the best, the 2008 sun (cherry-ish?) burst. Paid $335 for mine.

IMG_20190225_031611.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.