NGD! 2011 Squier Standard Telecaster!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by dreamingtele, May 26, 2017.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I was gassing for a Rosewood board tele and dont have much funds for now, I needed a cheap fix.

So I made the decision and bought this 2011 CAR Standard Squier! Really nice for it's price. Im not expecting anything since its just $150, and I was in for a surpise. Love the neck. though it was played a lot, I can see from the marks on the rosewood, but nothing super beat up.

I wanted a cheap fix for my rosewood GAS, and I really want a 60's tele. The squier CVC's are too much for my budget and not so many was sold in this part of the world. The only Fender dealer doesnt have the Squier CVC in stock for a long time now.

The rosewood board was kind of looking dry, so I went and oiled it.. now its looking better than when I got it. I ran out of stock of 11's string so I cant test and adjust the pickups. it came with rusty 9's, so I quickly took it off, adjusted the truss rod and now waiting for 11's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Im not sure if the bridge pickup is ceramic, but the neck is. I was surpised that it was not routed for the middle pickup ala nashville style, but thats good.

[​IMG]
    here's the guts
    [​IMG]
    I have plans on taking the neck pickup off and making this an esquire style. I dont know how to solder and this is a good practice guitar to learn on. can you help me which wires do I unsolder and which ones to retain? or a step by step guide?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's full of scratches but thank God no dents. it has some finish cracks on the neck pocket, but I didnt take the neck off to see if it's just paint. I hope its just the paint.

The frets have wear on them, but thats okay as Im planning to replace the medium jumbos with 6105/narrow tall frets as I really like them on my roadworn strat that I used to have and my american pro.

Here it is with my thinline partscaster (Squier VM body, MIM neck, Classic 60's pickups, gold hardware), American Professional Telecaster and my most trusted furniture destroyer beagle, Snow.

[​IMG]

2. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Happy New Guitar Day! Its my favorite day! Good luck on the mods, plenty of YT videos on soldering.

dreamingtele likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Since you haven't done a lot of soldering .. I'd suggest getting a new control plate, pots, and switch and wiring up the Esquire from a good diagram (google phostenix esquire) all fresh. Store your original in a safe place so if you want to go back someday it's easy.

Nothing wrong with ceramic (other than people see them in inexpensive guitars), you adjust them for setup to the strings by ear.

One option is to get the Esquire pickguard and mount the neck pickup to the body and raise it to just touch the back of the Esquire pickguard. Then leave the wiring you have. You have a stealth pickup that way. Install a 4-way switch and you get humbucking tones out of it for an $11 switch.

Watch a Bill Kirchen Hot Rod Lincoln youtube video and see how he reverses his control plate, that will give you an idea.

BlacknTort_Tele_170114sm.jpg
    (Humbucker Esquire with split coils on a 4-way switch and reversed control plate)

68Telebass, Ira7, AAT65 and 1 other person like this.
  4. dreamingtele

Thank you for the advice!

I tried reversing the control plate the but caps under the knobs doesnt fit. So it went in the normal way

5. dreamingtele

Thank you sir!

6. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic

Excellent stuff. You'll love the esquire mod. I used Phostenix's wiring diagram - forget which one but they are easy to find. I second the suggestion of new wiring / controls since you're already going that far into the project. Not that much more effort but certainly worthwhile.

Great guitar - have fun with it.

dreamingtele likes this.
  7. dreamingtele

Thank you for the link! There's too much info! Im gonna burn some time in trying to look for demos for the wirings! not to mention what kind of pickup to use!

8. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic

FWIW I stuck with the stock CV bridge pickup. Always left myself the option to replace it but in 2+ years haven't felt the need. It's pretty hot (which I like) and pretty Tele-ish overall (traditional) and very fun. I do get different tones with the wiring. I did the "Eldred cocked wah" wiring. I'm GASing for another Tele for an esquire with a Lil 59 (which I have laying around). Anyway, there's a few thoughts.

9. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

That's a nice looking Squire. Enjoy it. Looks to be a happy family of Teles, including a happy dog.

dreamingtele likes this.
  10. dreamingtele

Thank you sir!

My beagle doesnt like my tele's! Whenever I play the tele's he goes away, but when I play my G5420T, he stays with me

11. dreamingtele

Here it is! All strung up with 11-52's. I had a hard time tweaking the pickup heights of the neck pickup on this one. I dont know how much the outputs of the neck, but it is being overpowered by the bridge. I had already set the bridge where I like it to be and the neck pickup cant match it. So i had to lower the bridge and still be in that sweet spot.

Still tons of work to do, have to replace the input jack to an electrosocket as it is perpetually lose. I need to shield it as well.

Snapseed.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Black-T and Ricky D. like this.
  12. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful guitar, and a nice deal too! A word of advice; I wouldn't be so quick to start modding. Set it up and play it for a while, then when you find out what if anything is lacking you can make improvements that are legit. Hint...Neck pickup on this model really comes alive with the Fezz Mod.

My Standard...

[​IMG]

RevBillyG and dreamingtele like this.
  13. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I love those knobs.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Ahhh.

I'm a sucker for tortoise on black, but thought I was the only one.

Looks even better on an Esquire!

68Telebass likes this.
  15. dreamingtele

Thats a nice color! Didnt know it came with LPB too! I wouldve jumped on that as well!

I generally dont like the neck pickups on ANY telecaster. But I keep them and try to find it's sweet spot. So far for the thinline and my american pro, I was able to find the sweet spot.

But on this guitar, I've already spent an hour trying to adjust but to no avail, I was able to get usable tones, but Im not yet done. Im on the verge of pulling all my hair out.

16. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! Mine didn't come that way. It went through a fire and I repainted it.

17. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

I love CAR guitars. Sounds like you're enjoying the heck out of that guitar. $150... wow.

How heavy is it? Compared to your other guitars?

18. dreamingtele

Wasnt really heavy at all! My thinline is the lightest, 2nd is my American pro, which is surprisingly very light, and this is third.

I've had the baja and that thing was a boat anchor..

It is very comfortable to play and weight-wise. Im surprised as I thought that agathis is a very heavy wood.

RevBillyG likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I found the Agathis is intermediate weight wood - a good substitute for alder.

I have had 9 altogether of various agathis bodied Squier Standard variants with this 22 fret rosewood board neck.

The rosewood looks great in the images. Easy does it with the oil!

Congrats! :^)

dreamingtele likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Ironic, but because the rosewood board Standard neck is thinner than the Squier 51 neck (maple) I put the rosewood 22 fret necks mostly on the guitars I gave away and the Squier T types I still have all have maple.

Here's one of my 22 fret rosewood boards, doing other service:

[​IMG]

dreamingtele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.