1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - 2011 Martin D16rgt Anniversary Edition!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by mnutz, Jan 31, 2018.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

IMG_2972.JPG It's a hoot 'n a holler! Everything I expect a Martin dread to sound like! Clear, balanced, bell-like highs and warm, growly lows. Lots of that piano type stuff going on. Completely different from my J45. This is the acoustic sound I had in my head all along.

I know this thread is worthless without pictures, but I don't have time to get any good ones right now, so this is just a quick snap.

Haven't had time to do much other than a good inspection and a quick play. I'll get my strings on it and do a set up tomorrow.

It's got one issue, and other than that it's very good condition. I knew this buying it, and got a great deal on it. I figured I'll have no problems reselling if it turns out to not be a keeper, but so far it sounds fantastic.

It's got a top surface crack running from the low e bridge down to the binding. I've been in the guitar with a mirror, and my hand, and it absolutely is not all the way through at all. The crack was filled with titebond. I'm not sure that was a good idea. It does seem totally stable, and like I said, sounds great.

What do you acoustic gurus think? I'm in it cheap enough I can put more money into it if need be, but I don't see any reason at this point to cleat it or anything.

2. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

IMG_2973.JPG

I took this from an angle to make it as noticeable as possible. Straight on in normal lighting it's not that visible.

3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I had to double tap the picture to see the crack. If it's not through the wood and has been professionally or at least competently repaired I'd leave it alone. You like the sound. How likely will you be to sell it? You won't take much of a loss if you do. Why even bring it up?

mnutz likes this.
  4. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Well at this point I'm not likely to sell it, but we all know how that goes.:rolleyes:

5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’d not worry about that at all from what you’ve said. Hell, my old J-45 had about 7 back cracks when I got it maybe 15-16 years ago. I just held it up to the light, smeared some Titebond in the open ones and let it go at that. It’s been fine.

The D-16GT is a nice guitar. I’d just not let it dry way out and play it. IMG_1368.JPG

Piggy Stu likes this.
  6. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, yep it's humidified good now.

That old J45 looks very cool!

Stubee likes this.
  7. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Yup.
    Don't fret about that neat little already-addressed crack.
    Though scary, sometimes, to some, cracks are not as much of an issue as a lotta other things that acoustics can suffer from.
    They often seem like.... irrelevant. Perfect wood on a not so great box won't ever make it great. And yet, cracks in a great sounding box.... often seem to have little impact on the sound. Go figger.
    It's buying leverage; seller's concern..... and maybe repairman's profit.

Nickadermis and mnutz like this.
  8. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I'll try to get some better photos this week. This really is a great looking guitar!

Great smelling too! The Rosewood back and sides, and Spanish Cedar neck smell fantastic!

Inspiring to play too! It just really nails the sound I've been craving!

9. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Love Martins

mnutz likes this.
  10. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

That’s a great guitar. Congratulations.

mnutz likes this.
  11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I love 16's. That's a beauty. Can we see the rosewood back?

I have an OM16GT that had the same crack....it happened a few winters ago. My luthier over-humidified the guitR to make the crack push closed and he glued two tiny cedar cleats across the crack on the inside. It will never get worse and the guitar sounds great. (I've had it for 20+ years so I know what it sounds like).

The repair cost $40. Go get it patched up and keep it forever. Beautiful guitar!

mnutz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.