NGD - 2008 52' AVRI, The Devils Telecaster!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Patton, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister

100_1661 (2).JPG

Dad passed away in January and my brother and I are helping sort through it all (hoarder). For all the stuff he would buy in the last 20-25 years (after he retired) when we came out to play together he always played the same guitar through the same amp. But he kept buying stuff! Kinda like "Look what I bought since you guys were out last time". (Us) "Cool! Play that one tonight!" (Him) "Naw, I'll just play my usual one."

So what I have here is an unplayed 2008 52' AVRI. He did write down on a note in the case that he registered it with Fender in August 2008 so I'm assuming that's the same year it was produced.

I had a 96' MIJ 52' RI back in the mid-2000's (with USA pickups) and like a moron sold it around 2010. I wasn't a hoarder so if I didn't play it often, away it went. I got good money for it but started to regret it very quickly. I next went to a brand new anniversary ASAT. I really did like it but it wasn't the 50's sound I was chasing. I've been putting together a 50's spec Tele out of various parts and I have a solid neck & body combo and was ready to pull the trigger on a set of Bootstrap p/u's. Then this fell in my lap.

It's got all the case candy and just plays like a dream. It's not a 50's Les Paul baseball bat neck style but not a 60's thinner Fender neck either. It's actually a really nice full neck that is easy to handle for my medium sized paws. And I FINALLY have a Fender I like the bridge pickup alone sound. It's very tasty slightly overdriven and sounds great clean, with a little added bass EQ on the pedalboard or tone knob tweak. The neck alone is as great as I expected. The 50's style wiring without the combined pickups and instead the neck alone with all highs rolled off would appear to be useless for me. I plan to leave it as wired though.

So by now based on my thread title most people assume I'm not all there, like to put random names to inanimate objects or think I had a super low opinion of my dad. Nope!

The serial number is 56665! I love it! It's the only serial number on any guitar I own that I can memorize!

Paulie13, Mike M, SuprHtr and 22 others like this.
  2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Nice grain !

Patton, Tuxedo Poly and Fendereedo like this.
  3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Really nice. Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad though. Lost mine 6 years ago, and still think about him most days, mostly the good stuff. Enjoy your dad's Tele, somewhere he's sitting watching you play, smiling.

Patton and Cali Dude like this.
  4. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

My oh my, that is beautiful. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Patton likes this.
  5. Telemaxx

Telemaxx TDPRI Member

Beautiful...

Patton likes this.
  6. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear about your dad. Its very cool at least you had a guitar playing relationship with him, and now you've got one of his guitars. And its a nice one to boot. That was a good era. I've had a bunch of them over the years. Some had really thin necks, super heavy bodies, and the pumpkin orange finish. Yours is from when they really started treating the 52ri like a flagship again. Enjoy it.

7. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Oh man, i didn't even read the post, just saw the guitar. Sorry about your dad, I feel horrible that i just posted about the grain. It IS nice but it doesn't matter due to the way it came to you. RIP to your dad. Too much of this going around when you get up there in age. I've lost people just in the last year or so. One things for sure tho....that tele will never leave your possession. I have broken things from my mom that are useless now but i will never throw them away. Sorry for your loss.

Patton likes this.
  8. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

That is just an awesome guitar for sure.

Patton likes this.
  9. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

So sorry about your dad, may he rest in peace.

That said, you kinda left us hanging. What was the one guitar dad always played, & what amp?

Nice 56665 by the way.

Patton likes this.
  10. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats, sorry about your dad.

11. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister

You guys are great! Yea, it's a very special thing in more ways than one and the fact that it's a real player makes it even better. I'm gonna make it mine. No closet queen to sell in 20 years for me. It's getting played!

SuprHtr, MickM and Stubee like this.
  12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That’s a great guitar. I’m sorry about your father and I’m glad you have something of his that you can truly use and enjoy.

13. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

It is a huge loss, and my heart goes out you. It also is a great connection to have with your Dad. I hope you will enjoy the time with his guitar. It's very cool.

Patton likes this.
  14. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

So sorry about your dad, that must have been hard.

It's nice that you have a very cool guitar to remember him by, though. Like others, I'm curious what guitar and amp was his "usual".

You can actually get both pickups together by finagling the switch to a position in between the bridge and the middle settings. Give it a try!

I had the same guitar, but an early 2012 model, and I re-wired it. I knew I would use the middle setting more than the dark circuit.

Patton likes this.
  15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sorry for your loss.
    Play that thing!

Patton likes this.
  16. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister

With everything he had his go to guitar was a mid 2000’s MIM HH Stratocaster in wine red through a early 70’s Bandmaster Reverb with a 68’ Bassman 2-12 cabinet.

He played that almost exclusively from the mid 2000’s on. Usually the reverb was heavy!

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sorry for your loss. That's a very nice Tele - play it in his memory!

18. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Condolences for your Dad. But what a special bond. I am sure many of us are envious of the guitar connection you enjoyed with your dad. Please keep playing that beautiful Tele!

19. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Awesome guitar! Enjoy playing it with fond memories of your Dad.

20. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nice guitar. Great memory.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.