NGD: 2006 Gibson SG Standard (some queries so help please)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Crawldaddy, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Hello fellow TDPR-ers!

I've just acquired a second-hand Gibson SG standard, 2006 model (photos coming soon). It should be all stock, as the previous owner says he bought it brand new and gigged with it pretty frequently.

It sounds good, is very loud unplugged, and feels good in hand, no neck-dive either. It does have a couple of aesthetic flaws, but hey, it's second-hand and 11-year-olds right?

I've been trying to find some info on the specs for this guitar, but not having much luck.

Specifically, I'd like to know the following:

1. Pickups - 490R/498T? Any way to definitively know?
    2. Fret board material - it looks like rosewood, but is this a veneer on top of richlite?
    3. Nut material - looks like Corian or synthetic material, but would be nice to know exactly what this is.

Many thanks to all you knowledgeable people!

2. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Crawl:

Just sold my 2005 SG Standard. Guessing yours is not much different. Mine had the 490R/498T stock pickups. I knew because I swapped in other p/us, put the stock ones back before I sold it. I'm no expert, but am not aware of any other p/us being used in those mid 2000s years.

The fretboard on mine was definitely rosewood. Was Richlite even an option back then? Whatever the case, the rosewood itself is the only veneer on the mahogany neck.

The stock nut on mine was plastic of some kind. Probably corian. It split when my tech was working on it. Replaced with a bone nut.

Mine too had a loud sound unplugged, no neck dive. Beautiful mahogany grain, a well made instrument. These are really good years for SG standards IMO.

MD

Crawldaddy, callasabra and Dismalhead like this.
  3. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Hi,

1: there should be a sticker in the back of the pickup saying so, but i see you need to take a lot of stuff off to remove the pick guard, you can remove the pickups but watch it for the original height if you like her, AFAIK, they come both covered and uncovered, try to post a pic, maybe there are some clues that other can identify without getting the PG off.

2: I'm really not sure that richlite was taken in consideration at the time .. not 100 % sure but if i recall correctly the year of richlite introduction was 2010/2011, should be rosewood, but get us thepics

3: probably corian, i doubt they'll go with bone nut on a standard series, however it's an "easy" swap

Hope it helps

Cheerios

Crawldaddy likes this.
  4. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Just call Gibson and give them the serial number. They will give you the model number and any details you want on the guitar. Just did this for a 2007 R8 I purchased and it confirmed the pickups. You can then use the model number and google details of the guitar.

MilwMark and Crawldaddy like this.
  5. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Hey guys, cheers for the responses, all of which are super appreciated! :):):)

Hello maddog! This is indeed a beautiful, resonant guitar. I might even do a wet-sand and buff-out on some of the key areas which have been scuffed somewhat, but have no relation to "normal wear and tear". Just so that the guitar retains what has been nicely worn in certain "key areas".

Goodness knows what the previous owner has been doing to this guitar: Long scratches all over the front between the stop-bar tailpiece and strap pin, whole bunch of dings on the lower bout on the back, and the left tip of the "open book" head stock has clearly seen an impact, maybe it hit a low ceiling or shelf when he tried to unsling the guitar.

But yeah the nut is definitely a synthetic material, and there is a bit that has a tiny bit chipped off on the D string, might replace it with a TUSQ one soon. Also, having done some digging, it does seem like the richlite question is as per brogh's reply:

I'll deffo remove the batwing scratchplate and check the pickups out when I change strings. The previous owner probably did me a favour and put on a fresh set of 10s, so I'm enjoying the guitar as is. Also, work is crazy for the next 2 weeks! I'll only get a handful of hours on this guitar between now and when I reach the end of this mad, mad work season.

The main reason why I'm curious about the pickups is because I had an SG special for a short period of time, which apparently had the 490R/498T set, but this guitar just seems more lively, more bouncy; I hear less "woofiness" in the bottom end for the neck pickup, and the bridge pickup has a great attack and roundness compared to the Special's flat and "generic rock sound".

I sure hope any SG special players out there take no offense, just reporting my personal findings on that one guitar!

I'll see what I can do, given that I'm based in Singapore and on a totally wacky timezone vs the USA. Would have to find a spare moment to see how I can skype them. Or, fill in the online form and hope for the best :rolleyes:

At the same time, do you guys recall if your SG standards from around the mid-2000s had the ABR-1 TOM bridge? I only just realised this little detail after handling it last night.

Once again, many thanks to your replies and pictures will deffo come along tonight!

6. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

I also have a 2006 SG Standard bought new. I agree with the preceding comments re pickups and fretboard. This is a great guitar. Of all my Gibsons this guitar has the fatest neck profile. Love it. Just need to add a cream Custom to my collection one day!

IMG_1120.JPG

studio1087, drmmrr55 and Crawldaddy like this.
  7. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Yes on all counts if it is truly stock. Corian nut, 490/498T pickups, and definitely a rosewood board. I have a 2003 cherry standard, and I love it, very pretty and a nice Gibson for the money! Oh, my standard has the Nashville tune-omatic bridge
    Congrats!! Be careful, that headstock is fragile!
    IMG_0064.JPG My 2003 Standard

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    studio1087, Southpole and Crawldaddy like this.
  8. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

Hello Crawldaddy,
    I realize you posted this well over a year ago however I own a 2006 Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry. What I did was google "2006 Gibson SG Standard Specs". The Gibson Web site should come up. Just click on the Gibson site and it will give you all of the specs of your SG. It's all there.
    Sincerely,
    Dave

9. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

Hello everyone. I have owned at least (3) Gibson SG Standards, (1) Gibson SG Standard "Guitar Center FSR", and a 2002 Gibson SG Faded Worn Brown. I sold all of them over time. I went about (6) months without an SG and decided it was time to get a new one. I ordered a Gibson SG Faded Worn Brown from MF and it's a cool SG but it's no Standard. The thing is I really like the Faded. So I went to GC to get my Gear Card straightened out and while I was there I looked to see if they had any "Used" SG's. I didn't see any so I went to speak to the Manager. Turns out the salesman behind the counter was playing a Gibson SG Standard but he had this crazy small wireless transmitter plugged in and his key chain was also attached to the transmitter. Kind of weird? Yeah, I know. It turned out the Gibson SG Standard was not his rather it was a 2006 Heritage Cherry in excellent 100% factory original Gibson SG Standard. I played it and fell in love with the instrument. They were asking a very fair price for the guitar so I bought it. Luckily it came with the original factory case with the combination lock and gray interior. It also came with the warranty card/check list and truss rod wrench. Man am I ever happy. This is my first Heritage Cherry SG and I didn't think I would like the color but after owning it for a few weeks I am in love with this axe. The only issue I have is I oiled the fretboard and re-strung the guitar with those super expensive D'Addario "NY" XL's. I bought a (3) pack just to check them out. I always do the over wrap on the tailpiece so that may have something to do with this but the strings seem to be a little tighter than I'm used to and they feel kind of strange. I always use Slinkys or Boomers so these strings are obviously a whole different thing. Has anyone else had any issues with these D'Addario "NY" XL's on your Gibson SG Standard?

Attached Files:

JayFreddy likes this.
  10. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

Hi Southpole,
    I have an identical 2006 Gibson SG Standard. Just like mine yours is 100% factory stock. Very cool.
    Sincerely,
    Dave

Southpole likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.