NGD 2001 American Series Designer Edition Silver Sparkle

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
If anyone has one of these, any info on what pickups it had

The standard AS mediocre and "not even real" ,since they don't have a baseplate, A5 bridge pickup and a decent A5 neck pickup.
The seller did you a favor by changing them especially if the bridge pickup has a baseplate.

Guithartic

Tele-Holic
I don’t know for sure but Texas Special comes to mind for some reason.
I could be way off on that.
Thanks. That is consistent with what I’ve found on another site. And the look of the Texas Specials with their staggered pole pieces and white wrapping matches with what I see in photos of them.

Guithartic

Tele-Holic
The standard AS mediocre and "not even real" ,since they don't have a baseplate, A5 bridge pickup and a decent A5 neck pickup.
The seller did you a favor by changing them especially if the bridge pickup has a baseplate.
Sorry to ask, but I think you have good info. I just don’t understand it. Did you mean for AS to stand for American Series? And did you mean the American Series pups were mediocre? Also what is A5? But mostly what did you mean by they’re not even real? Thanks.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Sorry to ask, but I think you have good info. I just don’t understand it. Did you mean for AS to stand for American Series? And did you mean the American Series pups were mediocre? Also what is A5? But mostly what did you mean by they’re not even real? Thanks.

Not @Nick Fanis but he would be referring to American Standard/American Series/American Standard pickups used before Fender changed to the Fender Custom Shop pickup set in early 2012. A5 would be "alnico 5" magnet in these pickups. The bridge pickups in these sets did not have a metal base plate like the original Tele pickups, which is considered to be part of what gives a vintage-style Tele pickup its sound. So the American Standard/American Series pickups have a different sound than a vintage pickup (plus other things contribute to that like the modern vs. vintage bridge, et.) that some consider inferior to a vintage-style pickup. But others like as either a change-of-pace vs. the vintage bridges, and still others prefer them to vintage pickups. It really comes down to personal preference.

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Did you mean for AS to stand for American Series? And did you mean the American Series pups were mediocre?

Yes

Also what is A5?

Alnico 5

But mostly what did you mean by they’re not even real?

The bridge pickup lacks a baseplate.
So it doesn't sound like a classic tele bridge pickup ,adding a base plate will rectify this to some extent but the pickup ain't nothing to write home about anyway.

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
I have the exact same guitar and love it. The stock pickup does not have staggered pole pieces. I like the stock pickups, and won’t be changing mine. The only thing I’ve changed is the knobs, to a flat top vintage style. The neck is awesome, and came from factory with rolled edges. I also find the 4-way switch quite useful. The silver flake finish is awesome. I get compliments all the time. I won’t be letting mine go anytime soon. Just an extremely good American Tele, that looks very cool indeed.

Guithartic

Tele-Holic
Not @Nick Fanis but he would be referring to American Standard/American Series/American Standard pickups used before Fender changed to the Fender Custom Shop pickup set in early 2012. A5 would be "alnico 5" magnet in these pickups. The bridge pickups in these sets did not have a metal base plate like the original Tele pickups, which is considered to be part of what gives a vintage-style Tele pickup its sound. So the American Standard/American Series pickups have a different sound than a vintage pickup (plus other things contribute to that like the modern vs. vintage bridge, et.) that some consider inferior to a vintage-style pickup. But others like as either a change-of-pace vs. the vintage bridges, and still others prefer them to vintage pickups. It really comes down to personal preference.
Thanks. That really makes sense.

Guithartic

Tele-Holic
I have the exact same guitar and love it. The stock pickup does not have staggered pole pieces. I like the stock pickups, and won’t be changing mine. The only thing I’ve changed is the knobs, to a flat top vintage style. The neck is awesome, and came from factory with rolled edges. I also find the 4-way switch quite useful. The silver flake finish is awesome. I get compliments all the time. I won’t be letting mine go anytime soon. Just an extremely good American Tele, that looks very cool indeed.
Did you buy the guitar new? I would love to talk to someone who bought one new and never changed anything. All the photos I see of these online have the staggered pole pieces and white windings around the bobbin like the Texas Specials. The other thing I’m trying to figure out is if they had a no-load tone pot that clicks into place when turned all the way up. Thanks.

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
Did you buy the guitar new? I would love to talk to someone who bought one new and never changed anything. All the photos I see of these online have the staggered pole pieces and white windings around the bobbin like the Texas Specials. The other thing I’m trying to figure out is if they had a no-load tone pot that clicks into place when turned all the way up. Thanks.

Bought mine new. It did not come with the no-load tone pot. At least it doesn’t have the “click” position that you refer to. The pickups are standard American Series for that year. Mine had weak output because of poor ground. I added an extra ground jumper between the pots, and that solved the issue. Stock pickups have plenty of output now.

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
Can never have enuf sparkles....
View attachment 841414
Thinking about getting the anniversary telecaster like yours. I'm also considering the player tele. I was able to test drive the player and really liked it. Unfortunately I can't find anniversary telecaster to try out. What do you think? I'm not a screaming hard rocker. Mostly blues, classic rock, Steve Cropper style r and b. I'm a strat guy so this will be my first tele. Thanks

Guithartic

Tele-Holic
Do you have any photos of yours and did you get it new? Mine already has flat top knobs, but I didn’t know that was vintage. I thought rounded were vintage and flat were modern.

Guithartic

Tele-Holic
Update: I got a new set of CS Texas Specials and put them in. I could see by the soldering that the pups in it when I got it were not stock. I got a wiring diagram for the Merle Haggard Tuff Dog, which I learned has the same pickups and wiring as this and did it right. Even got the right capacitor. Sounds amazing and plays amazing.

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 841301 View attachment 841302 So gaudy it’s cool. Got it on eBay. Get this, it was listed for $800, I made an offer of $700. A couple hours later, I got anxious someone else would buy it, so I pulled the trigger. Then, the wonderful seller said they would have accepted the $700 and Venmoed me $100 back. I’m pretty sure the pickups have been swapped out, and I want to restore it to its original specs, so I’ll be posting questions about it. It has a 4-position switch. If anyone has one of these, any info on what pickups it had and if it had a no-load tone pot stock would be most helpful.
Nice - beautiful Tele.