1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD 2001 American Series Designer Edition Silver Sparkle

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Apr 3, 2021.

1. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I don’t know for sure but Texas Special comes to mind for some reason.
    I could be way off on that.

2. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Happy NGD!

dscottyg likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

this is probably one of the few times I like the black painted headstock! congrats! looking killer!

dscottyg likes this.
  4. Hotrod40

Hotrod40 Tele-Holic

Congrats...I own a Custom Shop Silver Sparkle and just love the look...Enjoy.

dscottyg likes this.
  5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The standard AS mediocre and "not even real" ,since they don't have a baseplate, A5 bridge pickup and a decent A5 neck pickup.
    The seller did you a favor by changing them especially if the bridge pickup has a baseplate.

6. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

Thanks. That is consistent with what I’ve found on another site. And the look of the Texas Specials with their staggered pole pieces and white wrapping matches with what I see in photos of them.

985plowboy likes this.
  7. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

Sorry to ask, but I think you have good info. I just don’t understand it. Did you mean for AS to stand for American Series? And did you mean the American Series pups were mediocre? Also what is A5? But mostly what did you mean by they’re not even real? Thanks.

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Not @Nick Fanis but he would be referring to American Standard/American Series/American Standard pickups used before Fender changed to the Fender Custom Shop pickup set in early 2012. A5 would be "alnico 5" magnet in these pickups. The bridge pickups in these sets did not have a metal base plate like the original Tele pickups, which is considered to be part of what gives a vintage-style Tele pickup its sound. So the American Standard/American Series pickups have a different sound than a vintage pickup (plus other things contribute to that like the modern vs. vintage bridge, et.) that some consider inferior to a vintage-style pickup. But others like as either a change-of-pace vs. the vintage bridges, and still others prefer them to vintage pickups. It really comes down to personal preference.

Nick Fanis likes this.
  9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes

Alnico 5

The bridge pickup lacks a baseplate.
    So it doesn't sound like a classic tele bridge pickup ,adding a base plate will rectify this to some extent but the pickup ain't nothing to write home about anyway.

10. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike TDPRI Member

I have the exact same guitar and love it. The stock pickup does not have staggered pole pieces. I like the stock pickups, and won’t be changing mine. The only thing I’ve changed is the knobs, to a flat top vintage style. The neck is awesome, and came from factory with rolled edges. I also find the 4-way switch quite useful. The silver flake finish is awesome. I get compliments all the time. I won’t be letting mine go anytime soon. Just an extremely good American Tele, that looks very cool indeed.

11. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

Thanks. That really makes sense.

12. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

Did you buy the guitar new? I would love to talk to someone who bought one new and never changed anything. All the photos I see of these online have the staggered pole pieces and white windings around the bobbin like the Texas Specials. The other thing I’m trying to figure out is if they had a no-load tone pot that clicks into place when turned all the way up. Thanks.

13. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

Thanks a lot.

14. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike TDPRI Member

Bought mine new. It did not come with the no-load tone pot. At least it doesn’t have the “click” position that you refer to. The pickups are standard American Series for that year. Mine had weak output because of poor ground. I added an extra ground jumper between the pots, and that solved the issue. Stock pickups have plenty of output now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.