1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD 1999 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Freakyfresh, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Freakyfresh

Freakyfresh TDPRI Member

Hey gang, couldn't wait to post a pic of my new baby! 1999 American Deluxe.
    Happy new year!
    [​IMG]

2. TexasLandman

TexasLandman TDPRI Member

Congrats on a beautiful tele! I love a unique guitar that really stands out. I hope she plays as good as she looks.

Freakyfresh likes this.
  3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Great color! Do you know what the official name of that finish is?

Freakyfresh likes this.
  4. Freakyfresh

Freakyfresh TDPRI Member

Thanks Texas! She plays great. I'm doing a level, crown and polish on the frets soon. Not crazy about the vintage noisless pickups. Might swap them for a decent set of alnicos.

5. Freakyfresh

Freakyfresh TDPRI Member

Thanks jondanger, it's transparent teal. I dont know the color code off hand but I've got the specs and color code from Fender on my laptop.

jondanger likes this.
  6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

She sure is purty!

7. Freakyfresh

Freakyfresh TDPRI Member

Thanks!

8. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Nice!

Freakyfresh likes this.
  9. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Gorgeous. I had the fat strat counterpart in the exact finish & setup. Most excellent guitar, really, really top notch. As good as they made then, outside of CS. And that trans teal is one of the unique finishes, maybe only produced for those years..?

The neck on mine was sooooo comfy, those rolled edges.

Freakyfresh likes this.
  10. Freakyfresh

Freakyfresh TDPRI Member

Thanks pondcaster. I love the finish too. I think they only made the deluxe with 3 pickups for 1 year. Not sure how many they made in trans Teal but the specs show they also made a trans purple!

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Purdy!

Freakyfresh likes this.
  12. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Very nice; I love those first-generation American Deluxes in the transparent teal. Very cool to have the first year Nashville version.

Trans teal was only made for the 1st generation American Deluxes but I'm 99% sure it was made every year for them (1998-2003). The trans purple didn't last very long; I believe they had issues getting it consistent as some were that deep "grape soda" purple but others faded to blueish-purple "bruise" color so they just replaced it with a natural finish.

Regarding the 3-pickup American Deluxe - I think they ran for a bit more than a year. I recall the American Deluxes not being ready for the 1998 NAMM show and coming out more like March of 1998 (I got an American Deluxe Strat in May and it was one of the first ones to hit the city I was living in at the time) and by the summer of 1999 Fender had switched them to the 2-pickup version.

pondcaster and Freakyfresh like this.
  13. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Beautiful, congrats..

Freakyfresh likes this.
  14. Freakyfresh

Freakyfresh TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info!! There is a wealth of knowledge in this forum. I use it often to research but rarely ever post. Thanks again and happy new year!

15. dssgump

dssgump TDPRI Member

Why did Fender switch these to the 2 pickups? Seems like the perfect setup!!

16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Love the trans teal, my favorite color. Beautiful guitar, lots of enjoyment !

17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I suppose they didn't sell well enough, and people were asking for a more traditional 2-pickup verson.

The 3-pickup/Nashville configuration on a USA "upscale" Tele goes to the second version of the Tele Plus that came out in the second half of 1996 - that version had Lace Sensor pickups (a chrome-covered Tele style neck pickup, a chrome-covered Strat style middle pickup, and a black-covered Tele-style bridge pickup - all with gold-colored "Fender Lace Sensor" logos so they were "vintage voiced"). The 5-way switch and mini-toggle controls start on this model; the other differences were the satin-finish saddles instead of chrome saddles on the American Deluxe, a TBX tone control instead of the American Deluxe's no-load tone control, and the Tele Plus had an alder body with an ash veneer top unless it was in natural finish - which was all ash (American Deluxes from 1998-2003 were ash solid ash on most transparent colors except for 3-color burst and crimson red). The Tele Plus version 2 was also the start of top binding and a back contour - carried forward to the American Deluxe Teles.

18. emmaporkchop

emmaporkchop TDPRI Member

I had one EXACTLY like that! Loved everything about it. Unfortunately traded it in for recording equipment. Really miss it.

19. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic

Love it. The color is outstanding !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.