NGD, 1998 MIM Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Lone Picker, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice guitar! I have a very similar Tex-Mex Strat bought new in 1997, in ' Vintage White' ( actually yellow) Lots of parts switched out over the years, and now Fender US Fat '50s PU's; just a wonderful toneful, light Strat. Funky!

Do what you want, but I get great tone with a floating bridge, and use whammy bar in 20180729_153306.jpg 20180729_150930.jpg a subtle way, for chord shimmer stuff, Country and surf. Just great to have the whammy.
    My bridge always returns to pitch and I never break strings ( don't go more than 3-4 gigs w/o changing strings- and that helps a lot.)
    Sorry for goofy format- my bad!!

awasson likes this.
  2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nice guitar! I like the colour and I like the rosewood neck. I also like the skinny frets. I’ve got the skinny frets on one of mine and it’s great. If it’s stock those are ceramic pickups and althou* they don’t have a fancy Alnico number, lots of people like the ceramics. If you don’t like them, you can easily upgrade to something else.

I like the MIM Strats and have two of them but it wasn’t always like that. My first Strat was an early 90’s American Standard. I foolishly thumbed my nose at the MIM Strats and spent the big bucks on a brand new American Standard. I never bonded with it and unloaded it at a loss. Years later I got the Strat itch again and bought my little 94 MIM. I’ve updated it intensively and it’s a hot rod.

Regarding the bridge, I’d suggest you at least give it a whirl setting it up fully floating. I’ve got both of mine fully floating and have zero tuning issues. The trick is to set it up correctly and make sure all of the moving parts ar clean and have a little lube on them. That means the nut and the holes where the screws are. I pull the bridge out and make sure that the surfaces are clear of junk. On a 6 screw bridge, when I set it up, I back off the 4 inside screws and use the 2 outside screws to align it. I keep the inside ones about 1/4 of a turn farther out than the the two outside ones.

Such a great looking guitar. I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.

Edit: if you need a hand setting it for full floating, there are plenty of us who can help you sort it out.

GGardner likes this.
  3. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No problemo.

Now the new Player (6/2018) has alnicos

4. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

So do some of the Artist series guitars like the Jimmy Vaughan model.

5. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well other than Squire/ Squire Series, the Std (MIM) is the ONLY one with ceramic bar mags acually.

6. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Thanks for all your input. I guess I will keep it stock with the ceramic pickups. They sound good to me.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.