NGD: 1996 Fender MIJ ST-62, Daphne Blue (I think)

Devanatha

Tele-Meister
ejvdZYZ.jpg

I've never owned a Japanese Fender before, so this was a nice surprise. Build quality seems very good, the neck feels really good (a nice, moderate D shape) and the pickups sound great. And look at that lovely, dark rosewood! The pots, the switch, the output jack and the wiring were all of budget quality, though, so I just replaced with quality stuff (and shielded the guitar while I was in there).

I like this much better than an Eric Johnson Stratocaster I recently sold. Could never bond with that one, but this one feels like a friend already.

The neck heel is stamped with July 1996 and the code ST-62 DEX2. Does anyone know what the last part of that code means? Haven't been able to find conclusive information on the net about this.

Also, this looks like Daphne Blue to me. Or is it Fender Japan's idea of Sonic Blue? Doesn't really matter, I like the colour. Too bad about that ding, though.

stratocaster2_sm.jpg.472a8568ae48a342f10f979f49f8d911.jpg

Last edited:

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
Great color. The DEX2 stamp has been discussed here before and nobody seems to know what it means. Some vague consensus that the EX portion stands for “export” but other than that, a mystery. Congrats! A beautiful guitar, I love Japanese Fenders.

Devanatha

Tele-Meister
Great color. The DEX2 stamp has been discussed here before and nobody seems to know what it means. Some vague consensus that the EX portion stands for “export” but other than that, a mystery. Congrats! A beautiful guitar, I love Japanese Fenders.

Thanks! I just read that someone asked Fender USA about that code, and even they had no idea. So a mystery it shall remain.

Yeah that's Daphne ... I had a Japanese Mustang the same colour.

Thanks! Good to know that for sure. Not that it really matters, but OCD.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
Whoa! Great work.
It’s like I copied your photo right down to the wood deck! Sorry for the creepiness.

Funny thing about Strats… when I’m sitting around the house, I pick up the Tele which sounds good at low volume or unplugged. But when a show is on the line out comes the Strat. It doesn’t sound like much unplugged with the floating bridge, but it just feels so much more trustworthy on stage.

It looks like your bridge is floating, too. And by how the strings go over the bridge pickup it looks like that bridge is the wider vintage US string spacing. Is it on those older MIJs?

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member

D = D-profile neck, EX = Export, 2 = ...no idea. My D-profile neck has a lot of taper and is fat by the 10th fret.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter

Yup exactly the “EX” is “export” although the uninformed will try to say they are “extrad” which was Japan’s top of the line models akin to the custom shop

Extrads are always marked “extrad” never “ex”

I got the fender Japan bug at one point and did a deep dive

Devanatha

Tele-Meister
It looks like your bridge is floating, too. And by how the strings go over the bridge pickup it looks like that bridge is the wider vintage US string spacing. Is it on those older MIJs?

A Strat bridge it made to be floating, isn't it? I find that it stays in tune perfectly if it does. I set it up to a halfnote upbend on the high E and full note on the B.

Devanatha

Tele-Meister
Yup exactly the “EX” is “export” although the uninformed will try to say they are “extrad” which was Japan’s top of the line models akin to the custom shop

Extrads are always marked “extrad” never “ex”

Someone over at strat-talk.com says that a lot of domestic Japan Fenders also have that same code, and that it could mean Extra (not Extrad). Doesn't really matter to me.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Someone over at strat-talk.com says that a lot of domestic Japan Fenders also have that same code, and that it could mean Extra (not Extrad). Doesn't really matter to me.

I saw that post. I'd need to see some corroboration of that to have confidence in it, as that's the first I've heard of it. It's also quite possible that some export models were sold domestically to fill dealer orders. Compared to Fender USA, Fender Japan was inconsistent with features, models, and market channels.

Censport

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
That's beautiful, congrats and HNGD!

My first good Strat was an '84 Japanese Squire which I still have and play to this day. Love the necks on them, so I have a few classic MIJ Strats and Teles in the collection now.