NGD: 1994 Rickenbacker 260 El Dorado

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
I received my new (to me) ‘94 Ric 260 today. For its age, I was astonished at the condition it’s in. A few minor cosmetic things, but they are all wear and tear and expected.

I’ll preface with my Ric experience is having owned a 610 (never should have sold) and currently having a 620.

This guitar is entirely Ric, but also very different. The body shape is unique, and I like the “premium” appointments of the double bound body. The more simplistic model had a contoured body with no binding, and looks too Fender too me. The neck is unfinished, with a hand rubbed oil finish. Very smooth and easy to play. It also has the bolt in neck, which only a handful of Ric models ever have. I’m a little amused by the Made in W Germany tuners.

The pickups….what make this guitar shine. It has HB-2 pickups, which from what I can find are the same as the HB-1 but rear mounted. They adjust with an Allen wrench from the back of the body. Samarium cobalt mini humbucker a. Playing them through my Silverface Twin Reverb they have a naturally grit/breakup to them, while still retaining an incredible clarity. Even using my Big Muff the notes just wrong out with such clarity. At the same time they still have a very jangly Rickenbacker tone, albeit beefier.

Still needs some pickup adjustments and just the things that I’ll adjust as I feel it out, but got it set up pretty well today. Even cleaned off an extensive amount of gunk on the fretboard. I can’t wait to take this to practice (hopefully next week) and see how it holds in the mix. Any Ric I’ve played just cuts in a special place in the mix, and I think this will also.

I have read that the 200 series was John Hall’s attempt to modernize some offerings, yet the market just didn’t want “modern” Rics. I think this guitar does just that, and in a wonderful way. I love my 620, but this guitar is incredible for the price, and has its own thing going on.

Without further ado, pics:
9B123F86-D94D-4731-B460-97789B3CB055.jpeg
F2AEA771-7017-40F3-B514-927903C6C5AD.jpeg
FAF5F8A0-80FA-40C2-8DAC-228EFE39E719.jpeg
AE25DD47-7039-4728-BA5B-ED25BA1DC996.jpeg
E1A47877-EDAA-4729-A7C7-EDFA88C028EF.jpeg
B189ADE2-7BB3-4646-9FA8-CD413A6B7664.jpeg

McGoldTopp

Tele-Meister
That’s a nice family! Do you have a 620 on the way? Mine is a FG from ‘08. I will someday own a 330…which is what I was shopping for when I got a good deal on this.

I’m told October for either a mapleglo or fireglo

I’d prefer the fireglo, a mapleglo will end up getting refinished, but that’s not a bad thing.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
OP that’s a spectacular looking Rick. Wow. Sign me up.

As for me I’ve got a new 620 and an old 610/12, and I previously owned an old 360/12 and older 360. Love the solid bodies!!!

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted

I’d prefer the fireglo, a mapleglo will end up getting refinished, but that’s not a bad thing.
My 620 JG is from 2020 and it’s a keeper. RIC has a great medium C neck profile going on these days. And the fretboards on recent ones are unfinished, which surprised me when I opened the box, but I like it! Fit and finish, frets everything was top notch.

Last edited:

beep.click

Poster Extraordinaire
That is a HOT Ric. I love Rics and have a number of them, but I've never seen or heard of that model.

Coincidentally, I brought home my 610 from storage tonight (I live in a small space and swap guitars in/out of storage). Haven't played that thing in years and forgot how amazing it is. It's like my 620, but also has its own thing happening.

Pleased to see we have some Ric fans here!

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Congrats! Those are very cool/unique guitars.

I’m a little amused by the Made in W Germany tuners.

I seem to recall that Schaller took a while to change from "W Germany" to "Germany" on their molds but I don't know just how long they kept using the "W Germany". Also it could be that Rickenbacker had a stockpile of tuners purchased prior to Schaller changing to "Germany".

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister

Nice! I had to wait over a year on my '08 FG. I was (am) a Tom Petty freak, so it had to be FG for me. Good luck on yours!

OP that’s a spectacular looking Rick. Wow. Sign me up.

As for me I’ve got a new 620 and an old 610/12, and I previously owned an old 360/12 and older 360. Love the solid bodies!!!

Sounds like you have good experience with Rics! Those 610/12's just look cool to me. I do love the solid bodies, though I need a 330 at some point.

My 620 JG is from 2020 and it’s a keeper. RIC has a great medium C neck profile going on these days. And the fretboards on recent ones are unfinished, which surprised me when I opened the box, but I like it! Fit and finish, frets everything was top notch.

I've heard they changed to the unfinished necks. There's something special about the finished ones, but man does this oiled neck just play easy. Glad you are loving yours! It is hard to beat Ric QC.

That is a HOT Ric. I love Rics and have a number of them, but I've never seen or heard of that model.

Coincidentally, I brought home my 610 from storage tonight (I live in a small space and swap guitars in/out of storage). Haven't played that thing in years and forgot how amazing it is. It's like my 620, but also has its own thing happening.

Pleased to see we have some Ric fans here!

What color is your 610 (and if you ever want to part with it let me know!!!)? I love my 620, but that 610 was just special. I think those 80's pickups are part of that chemistry.

Congrats! Those are very cool/unique guitars.

I seem to recall that Schaller took a while to change from "W Germany" to "Germany" on their molds but I don't know just how long they kept using the "W Germany". Also it could be that Rickenbacker had a stockpile of tuners purchased prior to Schaller changing to "Germany".

That would make sense on either end for the W Germany. It's like a little time capsule.

It's such a unique Ric. Has the tone, but just more built to rock.

That is cool! The frets look HUGE...?

They do feel big, but they play well. I have the neck setup almost straight and the action pretty low and it has sustain and sings.

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
Update:

Got it set up and sounding good. The pickups are incredibly touch sensitive. Light strumming is crystalline and clear, but played hard the pickups drive nicely. They almost seem active, which I believe is what I read in the brochures from the 90s (no battery, but that the circuit creates an active like sound). As much as I love my 620 (I love Tom Petty, and it was the Damn the Torpedoes wannabe in me), the oiled neck of this 260 is something special. I've also grown to love the simplicity of one volume and one tone. I can do a LOT with the 5 knob Ric, but with only the two knobs there is less fiddling, and more playing.

Big Monz

Tele-Meister
I received my new (to me) ‘94 Ric 260 today. For its age, I was astonished at the condition it’s in. A few minor cosmetic things, but they are all wear and tear and expected.

I’ll preface with my Ric experience is having owned a 610 (never should have sold) and currently having a 620.

This guitar is entirely Ric, but also very different. The body shape is unique, and I like the “premium” appointments of the double bound body. The more simplistic model had a contoured body with no binding, and looks too Fender too me. The neck is unfinished, with a hand rubbed oil finish. Very smooth and easy to play. It also has the bolt in neck, which only a handful of Ric models ever have. I’m a little amused by the Made in W Germany tuners.

The pickups….what make this guitar shine. It has HB-2 pickups, which from what I can find are the same as the HB-1 but rear mounted. They adjust with an Allen wrench from the back of the body. Samarium cobalt mini humbucker a. Playing them through my Silverface Twin Reverb they have a naturally grit/breakup to them, while still retaining an incredible clarity. Even using my Big Muff the notes just wrong out with such clarity. At the same time they still have a very jangly Rickenbacker tone, albeit beefier.

Still needs some pickup adjustments and just the things that I’ll adjust as I feel it out, but got it set up pretty well today. Even cleaned off an extensive amount of gunk on the fretboard. I can’t wait to take this to practice (hopefully next week) and see how it holds in the mix. Any Ric I’ve played just cuts in a special place in the mix, and I think this will also.

I have read that the 200 series was John Hall’s attempt to modernize some offerings, yet the market just didn’t want “modern” Rics. I think this guitar does just that, and in a wonderful way. I love my 620, but this guitar is incredible for the price, and has its own thing going on.

Without further ado, pics:
View attachment 1020490 View attachment 1020491 View attachment 1020492 View attachment 1020493 View attachment 1020494 View attachment 1020496
Super cool!