NGD 1994 MIM Fender Squier series strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Xtyfighterx, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

just picked this up for $80
    7EB04465-0F4D-44D1-BE97-EAFF12CD084D.jpeg 82276C4B-C85B-43F9-A4B3-ED8823037A37.jpeg 6D8D93B2-9FDE-4D0A-B061-27AA3240787B.jpeg F4D960A2-9BE5-4864-A328-D1DF53B4BAD1.jpeg

2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No way! Very awesome, congratulations.

gridlock and Xtyfighterx like this.
  3. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

Amazing! Those are a hidden gem of a guitar.

I picked up one about a year and a half ago for $250 and it’s just an amazing guitar. The neck is fantastic. It’s a 10” radius and pretty slim but I really like it. I’ve got mine set with super low action. It’s a very fast neck. Yours seems to have a better put together body than mine. Mine is black and looking at it at the right angle, you can see the joints where the wood was glued to make up the body. I think it adds to the character.

So for updates, I changed everything (tuners, tremolo bridge, Electronics and pickups) but I don’t think that’s 100% necessary. I think the pickups are actually not bad. I’d definitely update the electronics and I’d shield the body while I was at it. The tuners might be ok depending on how much use they got in the last 24 years. I swapped mine out for vintage style split tuners. For the bridge, i swapped mine out for a full kit and bent saddles but in retrospect, first I would see if I could just get a full size tone block for the existing bridge plate and see how I liked it. You can always add more things like bent saddles if you want.

Happy New Guitar Day!

4. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

I think the pickups are standard Mexican fender ceramics? I may be Mistaken. Ya this guitar wa sbought new and the lady never learned to play it she changed the strings once then put it in storage and was moving and needed to get rid of some stuff. It has very light play on it. Defiantly vintage saddles would look good and a nice mint 3ply pickguard. We will see I have like 10 strats lol so I may just leave this one stock. I planned on using it as my travel guitar since I’m out of town so much. But overall can’t beat this guitar for the price I got it. Glad it’s in good hands now.

5. awasson

Yup, they should be typical ceramic MIM pickups but they aren’t terrible. I’d probably lower them and figure out their sweet spot. Worst case is you decide to swap them out for something better.

I put a mint 3-ply on mine and a new Fender neck plate too. Oh, and an American Standard string tree, just because.

Xtyfighterx likes this.
  6. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Ya for sure I’ll do a full setup on it get it going good again.ill have to find a trem arm for it as well

awasson likes this.
  7. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

They're nice guitars. I have a black 1995 with Bill Lawrence Keystones.

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

I have it's brother. Bought mine new in '94.

Great platform for upgrades.

Xtyfighterx likes this.
  9. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

There great guitar's, I have a Tele the same year, that's the kind of deal
    I'm looking for $80.00!!!!

Xtyfighterx likes this.
  10. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Anyone know if a standard USA pickguard will fit these

11. SPUDCASTER

I replaced the single ply with an aftermarket pickguard. Some of the holes weren't quite exact.

But, guess what, this isn't a collectable guitar. I had to drill some new holes. I wasn't heartbroken.

The original pickguard had some serious static electricity. Plus I wanted something different anyway.

Where in N Idaho are you?

awasson likes this.
  12. awasson

Same with mine. When I put on the upgraded pickguard a couple of screws didn’t fit so I decided to fill them all in and pre drill new holes. Aside from the mounting holes, the new pickguard fits better than the single ply, 0lastic OEM one.

kbraker likes this.
  13. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

loved the necks on those i had the exact same guitar except mine had a maple board, sold it on years ago

awasson likes this.
  14. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I have this exact one^^^^^^. SN MN401095. Completely original and I wouldn't change a thing on it. I love it and will NEVER sell/trade it on unless it is a cream one. I traded a cream one years back for a MIM strat and regretted it ever since. I traded that MIM for my red one. I like the red ones but I prefer the cream ones. I'd put this up against any MIM. Stays in tune wonderfully after I tightened the tremolo to the deck and has all 5 springs. The tremolo still works mildly(not a dive bomber) which I prefer anyways. The pups sound great just as they are too. Great value strat if you can find one under $300...buy it. I'd love to try a Tele version Squier Series.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  15. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Seems to be a great deal, congrats!

16. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin TDPRI Member

Congrats (belated)! I just figured I would echo the positive reviews here. I also have a 94 Squier series strat in black which I upgraded with Bill Lawrence keystone singles in addition to a GFS steel block tremolo, CTS pots and switchcraft switch. It’s my daily driver. The neck on it is just perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awasson likes this.
  17. awasson

Did a little cosmetic upgrade on mine last week. I really like the results. The pickups are a set of Deneb-Tone prototypes from our own @Deneb and they are larger than life.

645A8AB9-9DB2-466B-9DBC-B9ABB4F47611.jpeg

Zepfan, brookdalebill, HWTele and 2 others like this.
  18. SPUDCASTER

Played a gig last night with the ol' '94 SS Strat.

Almost forgot how much I like the neck on that thing.

awasson likes this.
  19. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've always had a soft spot for those.
    I bought this used, with "Japanese" pickups. I don't really know what they are.
    I liked the David Gilmour look.
    I had white vinyl polka dots on it for a while ala Buddy Guy but eventually peeled them off.
    This may get the CS '54 pickups I've been lusting after.
    20191020_135621.jpg

awasson and brookdalebill like this.
  20. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

I’m in the process of modding a 94 that has a lightly flamed maple neck. I’m upgrading it with an obsidian (all new guts) blender mod, new pups fat 50’s clones,vintage tuners, vintage bridge w/ larger block and an 8 hole guard. These were made back in the 90’s when Fender was sending necks and body’s manufactured in Corona to Mexico for finishing and assembling. Great playing guitars and a great value. Other than the crap hardware/electronics/pups to lower the price point they have good bones and are outstanding platforms to modify.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.