NGD - 1991 Stratocaster Plus Ultra in Sunburst

Sippo

TDPRI Member
Haven't posted here since 2014 but thought today would be a good day to do so after a long break. I went to a local vintage guitar store and came across a pristine 1991 Stratocaster Plus Ultra which had been set up very well. The previous owner was a collector and it had been played only occasionally with almost 0 wear on the frets. On top of that, the price was on the very low end of the spectrum of what these have been sold for recently on Reverb/Ebay. Although many probably consider the lace sensor pickups and other design choices in the plus/ultra series an acquired taste, they have a special place in my mind since my guitar teacher that taught me for years also had a Strat Ultra.

20211213_133941.jpg

The guitar also came with its original crocodile leather case (and case candy). A funny coincidence is that I happen to own two strats from this era (the other being a 1997 or 1998) and for both the final examination and papers have been signed by a back then young John Cruz who was* a Fender Custom Shop master builder until recently.

*edit

20211213_131038.jpg

Last edited:

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I think it's cool! I have a '93 Am Standard that looks like that minus the Lace Sensors. I put Lace Sensors in my '87 MIK Strat way back when and like them--I use 500k pots in that one (master volume/master tone, pot three not wired up) and think that they sound better that way.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Congrats! The Strat Ultras were great guitars; that one's in exceptional shape for a 1991.

However John Cruz is no longer with Fender - he was let go in 2020 and now is starting up his own company. He has a placeholder webpage where you can request information to be emailed to you but so far no details on the company, instrument models, etc.

Last edited:

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Very nice. I bought one off Craig's List a couple years back from the original owner. he had become a Bluegrass player only. Mid 90's model I think. All the hang tags etc with it in perfect shape. $550 US! Sold right away for $1000 US.
That must be a bit rare in Finland?

StevesBoogie

Tele-Afflicted
WOW! That sunburst is beautiful. What a great guitar, congratulations! I will try to research but I noticed the metallic nut on your guitar as well as someone else who shared a pic. Interesting!

Sippo

TDPRI Member
Thanks everyone for the comments regarding the guitar and the cat! :) Also nice to see so many other great looking Strat Plus'! Have to agree with the comments, these are phenomenal guitars based on the ones I've had the chance to try (2 Ultras and 3 Pluses).

Spent quite a while trying different sounds and genres with it (while my cat was investigating the case and sleeping beside it). Already at the store this guitar felt like a keeper but after spending an evening playing it I feel like this will definitely be my joint main guitar and now I'm all set with two Strats, this in standard tuning and the other in Eb.

Very nice. I bought one off Craig's List a couple years back from the original owner. he had become a Bluegrass player only. Mid 90's model I think. All the hang tags etc with it in perfect shape. $550 US! Sold right away for $1000 US.
That must be a bit rare in Finland?

I realised the location on my profile is a bit inaccurate as I'm temporarily staying in Denmark, but as another Nordic country the scene is pretty much the same, prices are quite high and it is difficult to find as good deals as in the US. On top of that since bought it from a store there is 25% VAT, so in this case the final price of the guitar was around 1700$. At least it comes with a 2 year warranty. Quite far from 550 or even 1000 :D But I haven't seen a Strat Ultra for sale actually in years and the Plus models are also not that common.

Congrats! The Strat Ultras were great guitars; that one's in exceptional shape for a 1991.

However John Cruz is no longer with Fender - he was let go in 2020 and now is starting up his own company. He has a placeholder webpage where you can request information to be emailed to you but so far no details on the company, instrument models, etc.

Thanks also for pointing this out, didn't read until now about what had happened.

WOW! That sunburst is beautiful. What a great guitar, congratulations! I will try to research but I noticed the metallic nut on your guitar as well as someone else who shared a pic. Interesting!

Thanks! You may be familiar with this website already, but I recommend checking this site out, this person has done a great job in documenting almost every thing there is to know about these: http://www.xhefriguitars.com

Last edited:

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's
Haven't posted here since 2014 but thought today would be a good day to do so after a long break. I went to a local vintage guitar store and came across a pristine 1991 Stratocaster Plus Ultra which had been set up very well. The previous owner was a collector and it had been played only occasionally with almost 0 wear on the frets. On top of that, the price was on the very low end of the spectrum of what these have been sold for recently on Reverb/Ebay. Although many probably consider the lace sensor pickups and other design choices in the plus/ultra series an acquired taste, they have a special place in my mind since my guitar teacher that taught me for years also had a Strat Ultra.

View attachment 928501

The guitar also came with its original crocodile leather case (and case candy). A funny coincidence is that I happen to own two strats from this era (the other being a 1997 or 1998) and for both the final examination and papers have been signed by a back then young John Cruz who was* a Fender Custom Shop master builder until recently.

*edit

View attachment 928502
Beautiiful Strat - looks virtually unplayed. Congrats!

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Love it! The Strat plus series from the late 80s through the mid 90s were some of the best Strats Fender built. I have a '91 Strat Plus and it's a fantastic guitar. I did eventually swap the gold lace sensors for a set of Lollars but otherwise it's all stock.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

View attachment 928501

*edit

View attachment 928502
Beautiful!
Is that a maple top, or 'foto flame' veneer maple top?
Looks very tasty w/o being over the top...