NGD...1981 Vantage VP795 Matsumoku

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bftfender, Aug 31, 2018.

1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Met with my collector friend , came home with 2 tonite. 1981 all stock Vantage VP795 made in Japan. Matsumoku, had my eye on this for a bit, Split coils and phase switch. Really does fit between a Lp & SG, The craftsmanship is superb VP-795.jpg VP-795b.jpg

Specifications Data
    Body Mahogany with a maple center section and two walnut stripes.
    Neck Three-piece laminated mahogany set-in neck design with equstaola truss rod.
    Fingerboard Rosewood with a brass nut.
    Scale length 24¾ inches
    Number of frets 22 frets
    Pickups Two Vantage #450 custom-engineered humbucking pickup. (Humbucker)
    Controls 2 volum conttrols.
    1 Tone control.
    1 switch for coil tap operations.
    1 swirch for phase switch.
    1 pickup selector switch.
    Bridge / Tailpiece Turnomatic style with brass saddle insert and stop bar tailpiece.
    Tuners Chrome plated die-cast
    Nut Non-slip black plastic speed knobs.
    Finishes High-gloss translucent color finishes.

2. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Those Vantages are soooo cool. Dig it!

bftfender likes this.
  3. bftfender

Thanks...the quality is amazing..

4. bftfender

really diggin this.needed something to get out of the heavier music been recording lately and this thing has some very cool sounds..coil split and phase switch..not quite sure what to do with the phase..it seems to even thin out the coil split even more and can get real shrill but the guitar is very versatile,,does nice blending pups and each having a vol knob

5. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

That guitar is one of the few that I covet. Had a chance to buy one a few years ago and passed it up because of the price (which wasn't that bad) and have regretted it ever since.

Enjoy!

bftfender likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

bftfender likes this.
  7. bftfender

got it from my collector friend, who called me today and the guy(original owner) offered double what i paid for it today. When i get one from my friend , i restore the finish, this didn't need much and my guy sent him the pics, Found out it was owned by him and then traded..re-owned and then traded in a multi guitar deal with my guy

8. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

The local shop here had a bolt-on neck version of that guitar for a while. I tried to buy it every time I went in - for $200. They had it listed for $379. I told them that price was crazy. They had it for a year and half - till a guy from out of town walked in, asked for vantage, took one look and paid full price.

It was a very well built guitar and had some serious tone - acoustically AND electrically. I bet yours is even better!

Congrats and enjoy!

bftfender likes this.
  9. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very cool. My first guitar was a Vantage way back in 1985.

bftfender likes this.
  10. bftfender

it is so well built..my collector friend has 250 guitars and this Japan made stuff from that era..is mind blowing for the price and they are disguised under some brands that make you think "cheap" but are really japan custom shop built..keeping my Gibson's, but prob from here on out going to look for obscure guitars coming out of the certain shops from Japan

ukepicker likes this.
  11. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

Looks great! I'd love to find something like that.

bftfender likes this.
  12. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations. I'm a fan of early 80s Japanese guitars. I have a couple of Ibanezes and a Tokai from that era and recently picked up my first Matsumoko - a Westone Spectrum. It's kinda ugly and is made from heavy maple, but it has an excellent neck and is very well made all round.

From what I've been reading most Matsumokos (Electra, Aria, Westone, etc) used the MMK45 pickups or variants of them. Promotional material gave them different names for different brands, but usually they were the same pickup. Mine certainly seem to be MMK45s, although I haven't taken them out to check. They have taller coils than most HBs and a bright sound despite being quite high output.

I really like the bridge pickup. Gets me lots of twang even in HB mode, and the split sound is good too.

The neck pickup is ok in HB mode but a bit lean in the bass and mids. The split sound is dull and lifeless. I'm thinking I'll replace it with an HB size P90 eventually.

13. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ha, me too. Might have been ‘86. It was the lower end model of the OP’s guitar. Mine had a bolt on neck IIRC.

TeleBrew likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.