1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - 1981 Ibanez Artist AS-50

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WilburBufferson, Jan 26, 2021.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

I've been on the hunt for a semi-hollow 335-style guitar for a while now. Picked this up a few weeks ago and I have to say it is one of the most responsive guitars I've ever played. I checked under the hood when I gave her a quick setup on the weekend, and it has the famed Super 58 pickups in it. They are bright, in a GREAT way. The only thing this guitar is missing is a Varitone (always wanted one) but I'll probably leave it stock. Why mess with a good thing?

20210109_204204.jpg

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful, I love the Super 58s and MIJ Ibanez in general.

Enjoy!

39martind18 and WilburBufferson like this.
  3. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Hard to beat some of the Ibanez guitars. I own 4. And its a beautiful plain top to boot.

WilburBufferson and nicknklv like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cool!

WilburBufferson likes this.
  5. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

My AS83 pushed it's way right to #1 and isn't giving any indications it won't be there for a long time. I added a Bigsby B6/Towner Tension Bar, a TruArc Serpentune bridge, and some P90s w/treble bleeds on the vol pots. I think the neck is what keeps me going to this guitar.

Congratulations on your AS50, the Ibanez AS line is top level bang for the buck!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    WilburBufferson and nicknklv like this.
  6. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

It's hard to believe that guitar is 40 years old. Somebody took very good care of it. Great score!

7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Beautiful guitar! Congratulations.

8. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Nice!

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Great guitar! Congrats!

10. WilburBufferson

Thanks for the kind words. Apparently the guitar sat in the case for a decade or more, and was rarely played by the owner who preferred to use other guitars live. Here are some more pictures. I didn't notice this until I took the strings off, but the fretboard is patchy. Could just be the woodgrain? They are not divots. Anyone seen this before? Also, the label was signed. I did some googling and found only one reference to this person signing a guitar of this era. Still bit of a mystery.

20210109_204318.jpg 20210109_204528.jpg 20210122_204258.jpg 20210122_204310.jpg 20210126_111058.jpg

11. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

I'd wager that some lemon oil would even out the coloring on your fret board. Great example of this model!

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

That's an '81? Wow nice shape.
    Frets dont look very smooth, I'd polish those up.
    Yeah, maybe just oil that fretboard, you could smooth it up a bit if you want but it's a bit of a pain doing it.

13. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

Nice guitar, I'm sure it will play quite well....the fretboard and guitar are probably dried out. Get it humidified properly and start some general maintenance. Check the Ibanez 2629 Artist or 2630's,. they are the big dogs of the line and worth the effort to find.

14. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

late 70's to mid 80's MIJ Ibanez guitars are some of the best out there. Better than Gibson of the same era IMHO.

drmordo, dr_tom, Henley and 1 other person like this.
  15. WilburBufferson

You are correct: the frets need some TLC. I didn't bother with that this time in the event that I decide to refret it. I am going to take it to a (good) luthier for a second opinion. The higher frets are quite corroded and I'm not sure that there aren't some humps in certain areas. Nothing obvious at the moment, but I didn't pay a lot for the guitar, so I don't mind spending a bit of money to put her right for the next phase of her life.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  16. Ezee

Ezee TDPRI Member

Those AS-50's are NICE! Many years with a AR-30 - Super 70 pups. I think that signature has something to do with Vedic Astrology. Possibly someone was a Taurus.

Vrishabha Rashifal

17. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

Very nice! It's a very lovely finish on it.
    I've got an AS-103 that is wonderful, very comfortable to play.

Looking forward to seeing it after some care has been put into it. Enjoy!

18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

That's a beauty. I love those old Artists and Musicians. I had an '81 Musician for about 20 years, finally sold it because it was a boat anchor and I couldn't play it for long.

19. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

I'd agree that some Ibanez guitars of the era were technically better built and might have played better. The golden age of Ibanez mid/late 70's-early 80's had them securing/buying the best woods in the world while companies like Gibson/Fender were cutting costs...and quality control.

Wood and general hardware wise their top of the line could compete with most anyone while their mid-range and lower line benefited from great quality control/setups and the same hardware as their TOL.

That consistency helped them garner a reputation of "better" IMHO. In general, I've owned over 100 vintage Ibanez guitars...mostly right handed. Any Gibson set up and built properly seemed to always sound just that much better. I'm no snob, but I am a realist.

nicknklv likes this.
  20. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I've had 3 Gibson Les Paul's over the years. Probably 8 Ibanez Artists, AR50BK AR100NT, 2618's, 2619's, 2622, I have a 2405 Custom Agent, 2351 Les Paul, and my current LP Style player is a 1977 2651 Ibanez, set neck. I own zero Gibson Les Paul's, I couldn't bond with them, all of the Ibanez guitars were better for me. I agree build quality between the Ibby and Gibson of that era are pretty equal. I've come to the conclusion, I like Ibanez necks. It must be the necks. Regardless, they're both excellent guitars no doubt. You can still grab a super nice late 70's Ibanez Artist in very good condition for $1,500. What a deal! Funny side note, I have a 1982 Gibson Sonex Deluxe that I love.

Alex_C likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.