NGD, 1980 Hondo II

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sparky2, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

New Guitar Day.

Picked up this 1980 Hondo II HD990WA (in Walnut finish) for $115 at a local pawn shop the other day. She cleaned up real nice.

Feels really good, sounds fantastic, and (for a single humbucker pickup-equipped guitar) it's amazingly versatile.

Nato body and neck, and she features an original DiMarzzio K-10 humbucker. She weighs 8 lbs, 4 ounces and has a 24 ¾ ” scale

The small switch is described as a Series/Parallel Mini Switch. It's sort of a coil-tapping feature, unique for a barely post-1970's guitar. (I'm sure the electronics experts will educate me on the fine points of that item.) I just know it sounds great in both distinctly-different tonal options.

I am really digging this old guitar!
    I can't wait to gig with her.
    [​IMG]

Hondo II 1.JPG Hondo II 2.JPG Hondo II 3.JPG Hondo II 4.JPG Hondo II 5.JPG Hondo II 6.JPG

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That looks really clean for a 40 year old. Congrats!

3. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

A college buddy had one of those in silverburst, with two pups. Nice guitars, HNGD!

4. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Very nice. I love LP Jr style guitars.

5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats Sparky!!!

VERY nice score for a killer price.

I love a good pawnshop score story.

I wish I could find deals like that.

Enjoy gigging your new beauty.

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

For those of us who were around and interested back then know that there was a half a dozen guitar builders from Japan.
    Ibanez, Greco, Hondo, Univox, Tokai, etc
    Known as the lawsuit era.
    When I first got out of the Army, I needed everything, guitar, amp, pedals and the pawn shops were where I shopped.
    Other players who had Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, looked down their nose at the Japanese junk. But many of those lawsuit guitars were not junk, they were great copies of American made guitars and I owned and played Ibanez, Greco, Univox over the years. I was always feeling inferior but I couldn’t afford a Gibson so I played mostly Ibanez.
    Ibanez is still a guitar I have a lot of love for the brand because every single one I had regardless of whether it was a Strat or Les Paul copy, they were great copies. I had a Greco Black Beauty which had flooded the pawn shops which was fantastic for $139.00.
    Today I don’t care about names, my favorite, Epiphone is Asian made but a fantastic guitar for the money and I’d buy one in a second.

rangercaster likes this.
  7. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

When I was in High School there were a lot of us just picking up a guitar. I was one of the po' kids who ended up with some Teisco castoff, and amongst the Hagstroms, Arbors and Harmonys a friend of mine had a Hondo. I don't recall the model #, but it looked more like a medieval weapon than a guitar. Pointy to the extreme, as you'd guess in the late 80s. I thought it was killer, even if a little over the top. I think it also had a single humbucker and a switch, and none of us really understood (at the time) what it was doing, other than making the guitar sound a little different.

I don't recall it getting noisier (just brighter sounding), so I've oft wondered over the years if it was a series/parallel switch for the coils. Thanks for solving the mystery for me!

8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Here's a spec sheet on this particular model, from some enterprising guys who run a website detailing the specs on all our old favorites:

:)

Hondo II HD990WA specs.PNG

Source:
    https://samick.fandom.com/wiki/Standard_Series

9. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Congrats, that is a cool score!

10. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I had a friend with a black one. Cool guitar.

11. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

very nice , I do remember Hondo guitars in my really distant past.

12. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I love it... the cheaper the better as long as it rocks !!!

13. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I remember playing Hondo's and Aria Pro II guitars in my local shop when they came out and thinking they were decent. But, I was a Made in USA snob and I kept emptying my wallet. Now I have a MIM Tele (it's great!) A Chinese Strat copy (SX, pups, saddles are changed) and an Indonesian Squier51 (rarely played, but still a keeper). I guess mortgages and kids cured my snobbery. I couldn't be happier.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  14. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I had Tiesco and a borrowed Hagstrom. Didn't know anything about setup back then. Someone should've given me some arrows. I could've made better use of those" bows".

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice guitar and great condition. I have a Hondo II that must be the deluxe HH version with neck binding and german carve on the body. Blood red SG color but LP shape. Fretwork was it's downfall as most starter guitars, easily fixed, and it plays and sounds great. Currently in a case I should get it out again.

You'll have a lot of fun with that guitar. My most often played guitar is an Epiphone Junior with bolt-on neck that I have $30 in the guitar and the swapped parts, push/pull split to single coil. Awesome tone. Great fun. It's an ideal form factor of a guitar. It also teaches how to use the knobs other than setting on ten all the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.