1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD 1966! Maple Cap Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by terminalvertigo, Apr 21, 2020.

1. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Or maybe keep the original cover with the paint on. Store it; and then put a new P90 soap bar cover on the original pickup.

2. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Another thing you could try with the bridge pickup is to mount it to the bridge plate using rubber surgical tubing. (1/4" long pieces) I see yours has metal springs at the moment. ;)

3. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

This thing ain’t the Rocky Strat, or the Fool SG. It has relatively no historical value aside from being associated with some obscure Canadian band.

Get that crappy paint job off of it and restore the guitar to original. Keep the original finish if you can.

gridlock, muudcat and charlie chitlin like this.
  4. terminalvertigo

terminalvertigo TDPRI Member

I cleaned off the p90, it looks better now.

Anyone got any good suggestions for an equally atrocious strap? :)

also need to track down a clear tele guard with a p90 hole.. my google searches have come up empty.

5. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I googled "barf guitar strap", but nothing came up :eek:

6. terminalvertigo

A guy on TDPRI here messaged me, he had a '66 tele guard with a cutout for the p90, and was located in Canada so I snapped that up!

updated pic:

[​IMG]

RodeoTex, Antoon, d barham and 2 others like this.
  7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Is there no string tee on the headstock, or is the screw hole in the decal?

8. terminalvertigo

There is no hole for a string tree.

9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

If trying to remove the added paint, and if it is lacquer on lacquer, I just wonder if if some of those '60s colors may may have leeched into the Oly White and permanently stained it. (?)

For what it is, and what you already have invested, I wouldn't hesitate to spend another thousand or so send it for professional restoration.

Reading about Brad Paisley's black '68 which actually was a paisley underneath reminded me of this. I think that was done at CMI.

terminalvertigo likes this.
  10. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The paint looks to me like artists colours that have been varnished. it might flake off with careful work. But you've no way of knowing the quality of what's underneath and how clean a job is possible unless you commit and that might end up a refin. If it's damaged or they did even light prep, you might be stuck with traces of fluorescent green or the original finish lifting off.

I'd be really torn. In one sense it's really part of the guitar. In another, it's not that attractive, although kinda cool in its way. It depends what you want from it. I don't know if it's worth more or not with the story and the custom job considering the band are obscure. I think it's one to live with for a while. It looks better with the proper pickguard.

11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

well done. And Olympic White it should be - make it your guitar.

gridlock likes this.
  12. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

If you "restore" it, it will be just another refinished guitar. I like it as is.

terminalvertigo likes this.
  13. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

On the bridge pickup, one more vote for lightly potting it in wax to reduce feedback. I had a 1967 maple cap neck Tele with the same issue - in the mid-late 1960s, Fender did not pot Tele pickups, and so they are very microphonic. Easy to pot the pickup yourself, or you can bring it to a pickup guru of your choice. Very cool guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.