1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD 1966! Maple Cap Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by terminalvertigo, Apr 21, 2020.

1. terminalvertigo

terminalvertigo TDPRI Member

Well, haven't posted a NGD thread in a while. ;D

WARNING - This is long, but a cool read.

Being in Canada, it's hard to find guitars, as most people are wary of shipping cross border, not to mention the prospective pool of guitars is much smaller.

I usually ship to the States, and the wife and I go over for the weekend, and shop, eat.. and bring it home after. 8)
    Obviously that is somewhat difficult these days!

I've got the offset side of the house covered, (2JM,Jag, Comp Stang) and I had purchased a oly white'74 Strat in December.

Whats left for Fender?

-

My dad somewhat unexpectedly passed in Jan, and he left me a little bit of money.
    I wanted to buy myself something I know he would approve of/ enjoy me having.

I believe this checks all the boxes, as well as giving me something to work on during the current pause of the world.

Setting up searches for Canada wide reverb listings, I came across this:
    https://reverb.com/item/33052478-fe...k-custom-paint-over-white-body-original-owner

Enter "the rainy fields" telecaster:

Purchased from the original owner who bought it brand new in 1967 to use in his band "The rainy fields"
    Here are some quotes from him:

"Hi Andrew,
    My band was called Rainy Fields Played in a tour all across Canada Back in 1968.. Guitar was new when I had it painted...
    There is some history to this guitar..
    No other changes to the guitar... It still plays perfectly...
    It cost me around $300 when I bought it...
    I looked up some info from our tour... It's too bad the band went the way of a lot of others and broke up just before our Recording sessions were to take place in New York...."
    Our rhythm guitarist played Gibson ES 335 guitars and smashed the odd one so I took it from his broken 335"
    (He means ES-330 8) )

I the meantime, i started googling, I found all sorts of information on the band in RPM magazine clips from 1967!!

such as

"RAINY FIELDS BACK FROM 7000 MILE WESTERN TOUR Toronto: The Rainy Fields, one of Upper Canada's top rock groups have returned home after travelling over 7000 miles and making 23 appearances plus 5 return engagements through Canada's Western provinces. Reports have it that the group were well received and it is expected that they will return to the West for another tour before the end of this year. Their stay in Toronto will be just a stopover. They leave July 27 for the Maritimes and 28 straight days of engagements. They are skedded to open in Truro, N.S. July 29."

"The Rainy Fields, besides having one of the best sounds in the Toronto area, are now classified as being one of the best dressed groups. Formerly The Evil, they've come out of the underground and with good direction from superb management will now be shown to the world. They've been outfitted in subdued yellow and green pleated suits with yellow shirts and green and brown English loom ties and high black leather boots. They've got one of the better lighting systems going for them including several strobes. At a recent popularity contest got together by Birchmount High School, The Rainy Fields topped the poll. Their fan club is now bolstered by members from England, Holland and Viet Nam as well as coast to coast in Canada and the U.S.Empress Room of the Park Plaza (Toronto) on Dec 9 and one at the Milton high school on. Dec 15. Mitchell high has them on Dec 21 and they'll be at St. John's Hall in Niagara Falls on Dec 22. Coming up is a recording session just as soon as they can book time in the Sound Canada studios. "

There are about 10 such articles I found that mention them, although I haven't been able to find any video, or their music.
    the owner says he has reel to reels somewhere, I bet that would be quite interesting to see indeed!

even found a couple pics!

[​IMG]

and here is the tele, circa 67!
    [​IMG]

Now, back to why you are here :)

We worked out a deal (not quite the $300 he originally paid, but not the $7400US he was asking either ;) )

She arrived today.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

I nearly shat a brick. He said he had never shipped a guitar before, but like JEEZ WTF DOOD, ever wonder why everything you buy comes in a box?

[​IMG]
    Case survived the trip, and has a really rad 1970 Canadian festival sticker!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What I assumed was the original pickguard turned out to be a piece of vinyl/paper with "Rainy Fields" painted on it, with a bubbled old handmade custom pickguard :-/
    [​IMG]

underneath that:
    [​IMG]

Good! no butcher routes or other suprises!

[​IMG]
    Pots are original!, wiring looks ok. (?)

Now the real question, is the original paint still there like he said it was?
    someone did some digging under the pickguard
    [​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok, we are in business! Olympic white verified.

let's get back to the paint in a sec.

The maple cap neck is in immaculate shape, almost no wear on the neck! oh, and might as well be flamed too right? :-* :?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the transition decal is in near mint shape. they are usually flaked to all hell!
    [​IMG]
    Double line Klusons, no F tuners here! a true transition piece. ;D

oh, and the kicker? I was worried it might be heavy, as he didn't mention it, and i didn't think to ask with all the other details in my mind..
    I prefer guitars on the lighter side, but i wouldn't cry if it was *8 pounds or whatever..
    [​IMG]
    6.2 ****ing pounds! :eek: :w00t: :-*

I am beyond happy with the purchase, just played i for a few hours, and shes wicked!
    the neck is fuller than i expected, but she is great!

So, my original plan was to recover the original finish, and I am still leaning towards it, but I am unsure how to get the best results. wet sand? steel wool? lacquer thinner? :whistle:

The seller says it is acrylic lacquer, but i have no experience in this area of restoration.. anyone seen/done this before?

My thinking was a tele body is flat, so maybe wetsanding with 2000 grit wrapped on an eraser and patience was my friend. :)

also, the bridge pickup is VERY micro-phonic, unusable at any type of volume with gain, but still sounds good/ok at lower volumes

Unsure how i should proceed in mentioning it to him.
    When selected if i tap a pick on the cover (plastic) i can hear it as if it was metal on the poles.

thanks for reading!

Jamie_h, VWAmTele, Matthias and 17 others like this.
  2. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Funky!

Nelg likes this.
  3. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

I would leave the psych paint unmolested

4. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I would not use steel wool, as it releases metal fibers that creep into the coil of your pickups causing shorts.

Great guitar!

5. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

Holy mother of God! I guess they couldn't afford a piece of canvas?...

rangercaster likes this.
  6. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Cool guitar and story!

Welcome to the forum too - that's quite an entrance! Sorry to hear about your Dad.

It looks like it's got a Gibson soap bar P90 for the neck pickup.

Man, that's a light Tele!

I'd wait until you could talk to an expert about removing that paint, but it would be nice if you could - and preserve the original paint underneath.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Wow, very cool guitar. I’m no help as far as refinishing but many on here should be able to provide some solid advise. Congrats on your new to you tele. Enjoy.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Still has the old style wiring with the mud cap?

9. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I’m sure that’s a beautiful guitar under those layers of crazy paint.

Congratulations on owing a cool guitar, but...

It would be well worth it to take that guitar to a professional who restores vintage guitars.

Don’t attempt to remove that paint yourself.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  10. Retrobob

Retrobob Tele-Meister

Love that neck!!

11. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

Why is the Reverb sale still active?

BramptonRob1958 likes this.
  12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Well that’s different than a lotta old Teles but to me it’s pretty damned cool. I’d play that puppy for a long time, like months and months and then think about the paint. Or just keep playing it.

nicknklv likes this.
  13. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Woe!
    What a treasure that is!

That’s one of my Dream teles right there!

Too cool

I wouldn’t even restore it, that’s a piece of history

14. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

This is an awesome posting and fun to read!

But to get to your removing the finish question--do NOT use thinner. I believe that in 1967 they still used nitro cellulose. If they did, then thinner would also disolve the nitro. If they used poly (which they might have) it would be okay. If you have the patience, wet sanding would work. If it were me, wet sanding is what I would use. I happen to be in the process of refinishing a tele and have been wet sanding a neck today. From your pics, I think there's a 95% likelihood of you being able to return it to its original white. :) That psychadelic paint scheme probably preserved the original paint. Once you get down to the original white, you could just buff that sucker shiny.

You also might be able to just scrape the paint off. Like start with a section where it's chipped off and use an expired credit card or fingernails to see if you can scrape it off.

muudcat and tintag27 like this.
  15. capitalbear

capitalbear Tele-Meister

What a find! Congrats. I'd go for wet sanding & buffing, the acrylic paint doesn't seem to have too much connection with the original finish and easily chips off.

16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The white paint is acrylic lacquer so it too will melt if you try lacquer thinners or stripper.

This guitar has provenance back to New. I wouldn't touch it. If you do it's likely to need total refinishing

The A is interesting how wide is that neck at the nut? 39-41mm?

rangercaster likes this.
  17. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

Or maybe paint over it yourself and build up some historic layers!

18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would give it a very light cleaning and be proud to own a piece of history ...

19. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I'm going to go against the general consensus here and say that the sooner you get rid of that hippy dippy paint "job" the better off the guitar world in general will be. The guitar is amazing. The paint looks like Walt Disney threw up on a plank.

I think you have gotten some good advice on refinishing, but the pickup is still a problem. You may need to have a professional rewind it, and possibly pot it as well.

I'm assuming that you bought it for a player, and not a museum piece.

Piotr, gridlock and rze99 like this.
  20. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Just out of curiousity, did you check the neck stamp date? I'm betting it was made in very early 67; maybe Jan or Feb?

fernieite likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.