NGD: 1957 Esquire

bossaddict

Tele-Meister
The guy who did my guitar (before I acquired it) is well known, and was able to preserve the penciled "Esq" under the finish beside the diagonal rout. Does yours have that?

Nothing in the diagonal route...

HIkKy2Z.jpg

tG4RKwJ.jpg

slack

Friend of Leo's
Okay... I apologize, but I'm going to have to come out and say it. I have issues with this guitar. Maybe I'm wrong. But, I would have had to pass on it. At least as authentic and all original. I'm a little surprised by three pages of oohing over it here. Not wanting to offend the OP or others, let me carefully break some things down. And we can discuss them. Rather than starting with a list.

I already mentioned the incorrect control plate screws, which of course make no sense at all (and are often an overlooked detail - has Fender ever even gotten it right?)...

Rather than possibly more obvious things, let's start with just one aspect of routs. More specifically, paint.

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
So, so Sweet! A ‘57 is what I was loosely going for when I built mine. But, I had to settle for an Oly white body instead of blonde so I call it a ‘57/62.

Last edited:

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
To be honest I also have my doubts about the body being an actual 1957 Fender Tele body. I believe there are quite a few things that do not check out.

lasrup

Tele-Meister
The routing does not look right .Should there be paint in there?
This is my 1958 Telecaster.
7F0A0416-A8E3-40F3-B151-3F9DEE7AD377.jpeg

Knave101

TDPRI Member
It's a masterpiece of guitar art.

But what I find more amazing is that you went there with your wife, and you have a wall of guitars. Finding a woman who not only begrudgingly accepts your guitar addiction, but supports it, is more rare than that guitar. I've been looking for a woman like that.

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's
My wife and I made a little day trip to Nashville on Saturday, primarily so that I could try out this guitar in person before buying it. I also dropped off a guitar for consignment.

It's a 1957 white guard Esquire in original Blond finish. I got it home, set it up with some fresh strings and slight action adjustments and it plays and sounds great. I was struck by how tame the pickup in this is. I was sort of expecting it to be super bright and twangy, but it's actually quite versatile. It's something that I noticed when I was at Rumble Seat, but confirmed it once I was able to play it through my own rig.

It's got new-ish frets on it that are still what Fender would consider to be vintage style (0.08" x 0.04") and I think a new nut that was done with the refret.

I took a slew of pics so I'm not going to post them all, but here are a selection of them. I'm sure I'll eventually post most of them on instagram eventually.

Enjoy!

R63dg4I.jpg

lYWiEAW.jpg

Waxpv36.jpg

1RfZZOP.jpg

BKO43hp.jpg

uecgEtj.jpg

YeSVBvM.jpg

mw2P8jo.jpg

KLumTO7.jpg

9VeFKsF.jpg

JnWDk0u.jpg

KvWHX9f.jpg

c9tOS4G.jpg

Gj2iK2m.jpg

fQPNnZI.jpg

cjMGFrR.jpg
Nice to see some genuine looking playing wear on that Tele - congrats.

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
You get the good stuff, man!
I recently had my first lesson with Arlen Roth.
He played a Nachocaster and I played the '74 Tele Custom I got from you.
We did some extensive jamming, and they sounded great together!

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It's a masterpiece of guitar art.

But what I find more amazing is that you went there with your wife, and you have a wall of guitars. Finding a woman who not only begrudgingly accepts your guitar addiction, but supports it, is more rare than that guitar. I've been looking for a woman like that.
Why would it be begrudging?
My wife digs OUR guitars, although she hardly ever plays anymore.
She says stuff like, "Just get it, Charlie...you KNOW you always wanted one.
It also helps that I buy smart and never lose money.

Knave101

TDPRI Member
Why would it be begrudging?
My wife digs OUR guitars, although she hardly ever plays anymore.
She says stuff like, "Just get it, Charlie...you KNOW you always wanted one.
It also helps that I buy smart and never lose money.
Hence, you've made good choices! I, on the other hand...... (better for a different forum).

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Wife and I went to Nashville earlier this summer. One afternoon I dragged her around to the major famous guitar sellers (Rumble Seat, Carter's, Gruhn's). We accidentally sat down and "camped out" in the Rumble Seat owner's office, and then he came in ... and was thoroughly gracious about the situation. Even directed us to the best BBQ in town (Central BBQ). What a mensch! If I ever buy something ridiculously expensive like the OP's purchase, it'll be from them - really NICE FOLKS.

Knave101

TDPRI Member
Everyone who is old has some stories...before ebay. I walked into a piano store near my house in 1983 or 4. They had exactly 14 guitars hanging behind the counter...13 were shiny and new, and made in Japan. They had one old crappy dirty guitar, with a sign hanging on it...."brand name, cheap price". They didn't like the way it 'harshed' the shiny guitars.
I bought my first and only Esquire (1959 w/Rosewood neck) that day for $175. Got a call a day later from some guy offering me 1k. I knew I was onto something. Still have it. While dusting it off my brother broke the pickup. Found a guy a few years later in a magazine who was fixing them...sent it in to a guy named Lindy Fralin, and it worked fine after.

Last edited: