NGD: 1957 Esquire

John O

Tele-Meister
Here are a few dealer pics, courtesy of Rumble Seat Music.

GA90xkS.jpg

ACKpVRQ.jpg

TgkoIHZ.jpg

SxhQXYe.jpg

BC2PFR4.jpg

Congrat's on your acquisition!
I was at Rumble Seat in April when I was down there for a conference.
I played your guitar for 15 min or so through a '65 blackface deluxe reverb.
The two of them together sounded amazing.
That's one of the few pre-CBS Fenders I've played. Very nice guitar.
Needed a little attention to intonation, but looked and felt great, beautiful tone.
That guitar could tell alot of stories! Enjoy!!

slack

Friend of Leo's
Cool. I have a 56 refin, not relic'd. It's very white, as they originally were. I don't mind the juxtaposition with the well-worn neck. Others might. ;)

The guy who did my guitar (before I acquired it) is well known, and was able to preserve the penciled "Esq" under the finish beside the diagonal rout. Does yours have that?

Sometimes it can be hard to tell in pics, but it appears that your control plate mounting screws are #4 (same as the PG). Is that the case? They should be larger #5. I only mention it because they really look like #4 in your pics.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Wow!

How do you like the sound of it with the pickup selector switch all the way forward (in the "neck position")? Everyone seems to complain about how useless that muted, no-treble tone is, but I think it's kind of cool.

I guess with something as vintage as this, you're not about to change anything to give it more treble, right?

bossaddict

Tele-Meister
Congrat's on your acquisition!
I was at Rumble Seat in April when I was down there for a conference.
I played your guitar for 15 min or so through a '65 blackface deluxe reverb.
The two of them together sounded amazing.
That's one of the few pre-CBS Fenders I've played. Very nice guitar.
Needed a little attention to intonation, but looked and felt great, beautiful tone.
That guitar could tell alot of stories! Enjoy!!

Thanks! Yeah, I had to adjust the intonation and also lowered the action, which was a bit high for my taste (and I don't like mine particularly low). It plays great and in tune all over now.

bossaddict

Tele-Meister
Wow!

How do you like the sound of it with the pickup selector switch all the way forward (in the "neck position")? Everyone seems to complain about how useless that muted, no-treble tone is, but I think it's kind of cool.

I guess with something as vintage as this, you're not about to change anything to give it more treble, right?

I actually prefer the dark circuit on my '67 maple cap to this one. This one, in addition to being obviously dark also seems quieter. I basically use it for tuning (getting rid of high frequencies makes tuning much more stable). In the middle position, I'm keeping the tone control way down (at 2 or 3 if it was numbered like on a Gibson) and I really like that with Fuzz and a mid boost (Strymon Compadre). I use the bypassed position probably 75% of the time (so far).

Last edited:

bossaddict

Tele-Meister
Cool. I have a 56 refin, not relic'd. It's very white, as they originally were. I don't mind the juxtaposition with the well-worn neck. Others might. ;)

The guy who did my guitar (before I acquired it) is well known, and was able to preserve the penciled "Esq" under the finish beside the diagonal rout. Does yours have that?

Sometimes it can be hard to tell in pics, but it appears that your control plate mounting screws are #4 (same as the PG). Is that the case? They should be larger #5. I only mention it because they really look like #4 in your pics.

Not sure about either. I meant to take some body cavity shots during my string change, but forgot. Next time.