NGD ‘71 Tele LPB

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by garygtr, Sep 14, 2019.

1. garygtr

garygtr TDPRI Member

Greetings, been a minute since I posted here, but wanted to share this NGD story. A dear friend, mainly a keyboardist, had acquired this ‘71 Tele in Lake Placid Blue many years ago. He lost his battle with cancer a couple weeks ago, and his widow informed me that he would have wanted me to have his Tele, and she was going to send it to me. Needless to say, I was floored, absolutely humbled and honored.
    It arrived today, more beautiful than I remember. As far as I know, it is all stock. Has the 1meg volume and tone pots and treble bleed circuit. A few things I’m wondering:
    1) I am familiar with the double bound, typically sunburst Custom Telecaster. I have not seen double binding on a custom color, would this have been a special order?
    2) Why the skunk stripe on a rosewood board neck?

The original frets are shot, with deep divots all the way down to the board in some spots, so it will need a refret. The neck itself is fairly chunky, very comfy. It is not heavy at all, feels like about 7 lbs. Has that beautiful whiny, grindy, unabashedly twangy 60s/70s sound when plugged in. I am not in love with the treble bleed circuit with the 1meg pots, it gets very thin and transistor radio-like with the volume rolled down, I may be disconnecting that.
    The Lake Placid Blue has greened nicely, with some nice checking in some spots. I couldn’t be prouder to honor my friend by playing the sh*t out of this thing :cry:

2. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like it’s in the right hands though, now. Enjoy it.

I don’t know enough to answer your questions tho. And for some reason, I can’t access your pictures.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. cjp60

cjp60 TDPRI Member

Sorry to hear about your friend. I can’t see the photos by clicking on the links.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just drag the photos into the edit window from your desktop (on a computer, not phone or pad). They'll be attached to the post, and not stuck in the 'media gallery', which only you appear to have access to.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Fender brought back the one piece maple neck in 1969,on standardisation grounds it was decided to retain the truss rod installation only from the rear for both rw and maple fretboards.

I can't see the pictures so I am not sure what exactly you have but any colour except blond was a custom colour by 1971.
    I have seen a few bound 70s teles but they are rare and even rarer in custom colours.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Would love to see it.

7. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Anything with LPB in the title gets a like from me and I'm looking forward to pictures.

My best friend died some 12 years ago. He was an artist and sculptor by profession, but a fine fingerpicking guitarist too. When I had a pair of banjos built, I used some motifs from work of his that he gave me as the basis for the decoration. I think of him every time I play them, and I hope you will enjoy doing the same.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  8. garygtr

garygtr TDPRI Member

Oops, sorry about the pictures. Let me get on my laptop and see if I can fix that-thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. garygtr

garygtr TDPRI Member

I changed the album access to public-are the pics showing now?

10. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I can see them. A fine looking Tele.

garygtr likes this.
  11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Sweet. Bound as well. I love aged and yellowed LPB it turns into a sort of kingfisher shade.

garygtr likes this.
  12. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

When did treble bleed become standard?

13. garygtr

garygtr TDPRI Member

I love the contrast between the area under the pickguard and the rest of the body, and in the control cavity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rze99 likes this.
  14. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’m sorry about your friend. It’s great that you have such a cool memento to remember him by. I’m no vintage Tele expert but that is one beautiful guitar.

15. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Sorry for your loss. Incredible way to remember him. Enjoy, I feel certain he would want you to think of him every time you use it.

Our band lost our keyboardist about six months ago to Parkinson's, broke our hearts to lose him, but was a relief to know he didn't have to suffer from that anymore.

garygtr and rze99 like this.
  16. cjp60

cjp60 TDPRI Member

Wow! That is one beautiful guitar!

garygtr likes this.
  17. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

Sorry for your loss. Beautiful guitar. One thing about the treble-bleed circuit (which started in about '68, I think) to keep in mind. If you remove it, you'll see how poorly the 1 meg pots react to volume and tone adjustments. The pots almost act like "on and off" switches. You won't get a nice roll off, volume or tone-wise, when manipulating them. I think this is the reason Fender went with the treble-bleed in the first place. Rather than removing completely, you should consider an alternate treble-bleed arrangement that doesn't make the guitar too tinny as you turn down, and also allows for a nice roll off.

I have a 69 Tele now and have owned another 69, a 70 and a 71 over the years, so I'm very familiar with these types of Telecasters. I actually like the "1 meg era" a bit as I'm a big fan of James Burton and his paisley (at least initially) had 1 meg pots. The treble bleed in my '69 now is (I think) the standard .001 cap but I added a 220 ohm (or 330 ohm) resistor in parallel. Try soldering one of two those resistors onto the cap legs and see what you think.

2 Headed Goat and garygtr like this.
  18. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sad about the death of your friend. A beautiful guitar. And had to be Custom ordered. My suggestion - change out the Pots for 250Ks. I did that with a ‘72 Tele and loved the less shrill tone after that. You might also consider stainless steel frets of your favorite size if your going to play this beauty for years.

garygtr likes this.
  19. garygtr

garygtr TDPRI Member

Good info, thank you!

20. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Sorry for the sad side of the story but gorgeous guitar, get stainless when you re fret there doesn't look like there is much board left any way from that end of neck shot . Less times its messed with the better . But hngd.:)

Matthias, rze99 and garygtr like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.