NGD ‘55 Thin Skin Tele

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Papapotrero, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Papapotrero

Papapotrero TDPRI Member

672D0297-9D92-4227-9889-E7F114048E9B.jpeg

I just received the ‘55 thin skin from wildwood. I believe they had a run of these back in 07, maybe sporadically since, but have a few new ones now.

I also have a 2015 ‘52 reissue with the specs that are discussed often here (7.25” radius, vintage-ish frets, depending on your view of vintage size). This guitar is very similar, but with a flatter radius and 6105 frets...and of course, the spectacular blonde nitro finish. Like many reading these forum pages, I’ve spent countless hours researching and noodling around hundreds of postings, so if I can be of any help to anybody researching either of these guitars (in fact, or opinion), please don’t hesitate.

2. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

Congratulations

Papapotrero likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very nice!

Papapotrero and faasie85 like this.
  4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

That's absolutely gorgeous. What pickups? Presumably that's a parchment guard?

I'm just about to build another Trans white blonde, with maple. Just waiting for the final curing.

Was going to be blackguard (I've even sprayed nitro on Bakelite) but, seeing yours, I think I'll alternate with off-white guard!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Papapotrero likes this.
  5. Papapotrero

Papapotrero TDPRI Member

These are twisted tele pickups. The guard is single ply, but noticeably different from the more warn-in matte of the Bakelite one on the ‘52. That said, experts on these boards seem to indicate that: 1) there weren’t any white Bakelite guards (black or brown based on the nature of Bakelite itself) and 2) the black guards were actually pretty glossy in their day. So if true, I am most partial to a less than accurate reproduction of an outdated PG, go figure.

rze99 likes this.
  6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

That is a seriously great looking guitar...congrats!

Papapotrero likes this.
  7. Papapotrero

Papapotrero TDPRI Member

Thanks everybody - I have a really good feeling about this one and probably won’t buy any more (haha).

Brucesu, oldgofaster and rze99 like this.
  8. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Looks, great, fantastic guitar, congrats

Papapotrero likes this.
  9. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's

Something about the beautiful simplicity of the 50s Tele design is just endlessly appealing. That looks stunning. Congrats.

Skamania, rze99, aidB and 1 other person like this.
  10. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Congrats! I was looking at those on the Wildwood site. Appears to be pretty much the same specs as the Thin Skin 52 I recently purchased with a different color and guard.

Unfortunately I just let my 52 go, and now I regret it. The U shaped neck just feels so perfect for my hands.

Papapotrero likes this.
  11. Papapotrero

Papapotrero TDPRI Member

Thanks, that’s a bummer. This ‘55 is very similar to the reissue, and I was really surprised how subtle the difference was on the new frets. It definitely makes a difference for certain bendy songs, but otherwise, very similar. And I couldn’t agree more, the measurements on the neck (.91 up to 1.01) are really important to me. After I had an american pro with humbuckers, 6105s, and a c-shaped neck, I came to two conclusions: 1) I am pretty much always and forever craving single coils and 2) the u-shaped neck is REALLY important to me. The American Pro was a great guitar, but I sold it needing every dollar I could get after buying this beauty.

I also just got Nacho’s book in the mail today. So I am having a crazy tele week, and really enjoying it.

highgreenchilly and ladave like this.
  12. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

super clean tele! Thats probably the only color I want a tele with a maple neck on.

Hows the neck? is it meaty? I love meaty necks, I replaced my American Pro tele neck with a U-shaped 1 inch-through solid rosewood neck with 6105 frets.

Papapotrero likes this.
  13. Papapotrero

Papapotrero TDPRI Member

Yeah, it’s big. I’ve never played a nocaster neck (which is significantly bigger at the first fret than this one), but this is beefier than most necks that I’ve ever played. And it’s a little bigger than the 52 neck (which I have never measured).

Yesterday I brought it to jam with some folks I’ve never met and played it for hours. Today, I was trying to learn some Jim Campilongo licks off of TrueFire. It’s going great. I wouldn’t change a thing about this guitar, and anybody considering this one from Wildwood, I would advise to grab quickly!

Brucesu likes this.
  14. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

nice, congrats and enjoy!

Papapotrero likes this.
  15. BALIstic

BALIstic TDPRI Member

Sweet, I love translucent finishes.

Enjoy !

Papapotrero likes this.
  16. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister

I'm seriously considering buying one of these on Friday, but I am mega worried about the rolled edges since it's essentially the same neck as my recently sold 2016 PV 52(except for the frets and radius being different).

The problem is Fender is notorious for over rolling on 2012-2017 reissues and by the same token the Wildwood Thin Skins. Obviously they're all a bit different. They also bevel the fret ends to match the rolled edges and the result is the neck is almost thinner with less playing area. But the real culprit is both E strings are dangerously close to the edge. This was selling reason A.

Another big issue with the reissues is that the nut width has the vintage 1mm less in width, but there's variance between guitars. Mine was 1mm LESS than what it was supposed to be, and as a result, the neck was so thin width wise that I felt like my hand was always scrunched when playing.
    This was selling reason B.

I guess my question is, how rolled would you say yours is? I called Wildwood and they said it's "gently rolled", but since I had an issue from a 2016 Fender 52 reissue, and Golfnut has had an ongoing(but recently resolved) issue with his Wildwood 52 Thinskin I'm not sure I believe that. From the picture you posted, the low E string looks extremely close to the edge...

17. Papapotrero

Papapotrero TDPRI Member

I also have a 52 reissue from 2015 and one of the things I like about it is the heavily rolled edges. I would say this version is very comparable. Based on your reservations, this might not be what you are looking for...I had an american vintage 72 deluxe for awhile that didn’t have such heavily rolled edges and it seemed very different to me. The low e is quite close to the edge of the neck (haven’t set it up since I bought it a few months ago, and it really doesn’t need it, except for this small detail). But to address your concerns more generally - this is basically the same neck, but with 6105s. The neck profile and rolled edges were exactly what I was looking for (I asked wildwood the same question, but hoping for the opposite answer that you were, hah). I think all of your concerns might make you regret the purchase if you haven’t held it in your hands before buying. To me, this neck is almost exactly like the 52 with some very subtle differences. This is what I wanted, but it sounds like the opposite of what you are seeking.

18. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations, they are great all-purpose guitars with all the right player-centric refinements to the classic Tele. The neck carve, flatter radius, and 6105 frets make it the perfect setup for me.

Papapotrero likes this.
  19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If I didn’t just receive a 6120 I’d be playing this Tele right now....belated congrats.

Papapotrero likes this.
  20. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister

Hey thanks for the feedback!

I love the fact that it has 6105's and 9.5 radius. While I found the 7.25 to be comfortable on my 52, overall I like 9.5-12 better. The vintage frets were cool, but I found my fingers dragging on the neck a lot more since they were so low, very cool for speeding up maple wear relic look, but worst for bends.

My main issue with the neck roll was that both E strings would slip off very easily, and created this kind of anxiety when playing more rock or aggressive playing. I know all necks are different, and I probably had a "bad one" but my luthier said the only way to remedy it was to sand down the sides a bit to flatten to out and put a new nut on. I also asked him how much a re-fret would cost at the same time and for everything is was about 700 CND. So my options were to spend 700 for the work, or 700-1000 for a new neck. I figured It would be better to just sell it and start over.

The issue is no one makes new Fenders with real nitro outside of custom shop and Wildwood Thin Skins. Thin Skins check all my boxes with the finish and modern playability and price. I don't mind some neck roll, but not aggressive overall. I feel naked not having a Tele at the moment lol.
    I'm thinking I just order a 55 and return it within the 2 days if there's an issue. I'll lose only around 60 bucks in shipping it back, but then a bit of a hassle to get the duty back, but not impossible.

Thoughts?

Also, a belated congrats, it's such a beauty! I wonder how long it'll take to start yellowing. Part of the reason I wanted essentially a white blonde 52, is this was closer to the color they originally were in the 50's. I thought it would be cool to get one and see it get yellow over time and eventually slap on a black bakelite guard to turn it back into a proper blackguard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.