NGD — ‘96 Clarence White StringBender Telecaster

Tele-Meister

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
That is sweet! Enjoy. Always wanted one but never even seen one in the wild so I settled for a Will Ray Hip-Shot.
I'll continue looking in the mean time.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
That is awesome. I’m in Scottsdale and wondering what was the shop. Guitar Gallery? Guitar Pickers?

tonytrout

Friend of Leo's
I wanted one of those when they first were produced but never had the $$$ needed to buy one. :( There's no telling what those go for now since they're no longer produced.....

Tele-Meister
I wanted one of those when they first were produced but never had the $$$ needed to buy one. :( There's no telling what those go for now since they're no longer produced.....

I bought mine at a consignment shop for $3000. As I was sitting there and doing the figuring, I couldn’t see how I could lose in the long run. A case queen FCS Tele with a legit P/W StringBender. I’m still pinching myself.

Reactions: bw

string pull

Tele-Meister
I got #002 in the spring of 1991. $1995.00. At first I was happy but it didn't last long. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Started making my own with the double body, long stroke, Velvet Hammers.

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'd like to have one in my collection - but the bender is a little funky. The spring pulls the rod to the side, and a few years later Gene changed his design to place the spring *below* and parallel to the rod, giving a smoother pull with less wear on the lower hub and bellcrank bearings.

I hd this type of PW installation and after around 18 years of heavy playing it actually wore out. There was a weird "hitch" in the pull, as both bearings were worn into an elliptical shape.

I had it rebuilt with a parallel spring and adjustable pull and tension.

You can actually move the spring on this installation - attach the spring to the tip of the bellcrank and attach it to the body below the pull rod.

Most players I know change the tension by moving the spring screw because the stock tension is really stiff. They set it that way to avoid complaints about accidental pulls on stage, but most prefer a much lighter "touch" to the pull.

You can get a smaller diameter spring with the same tension at mot hardware stores and experiment with body attachment points to get the "feel" where you want it - and avoid bearing wear!

I change the spring setup on every PW-type I service that has any kind of "side pull" spring.