NGD – Nostalgia Wins

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

Squier Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster​

I’m not gigging, and I already have a vintage Strat, but I had a ’68 Pink Paisley that I refinished in ’75 (avatar pic) and I miss it. I never thought I’d buy a guitar without playing it, but I did. I'm an hour in, and so far so good. The neck is essentially identical to my Strat; same profile and .05 inch wider (imperceptible to my eye or hand). Intonation is pretty close, but I'll do a proper setup when I put new strings on (I sort of thought intonation would be perfect due to Sweetwater's 55 pt check, but no telling how old the strings are). Since I am recording through an interface, tone through my amp is secondary (and I am not going to chase it . . . probably).

IMG_2356.jpg
IMG_2357.jpg

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Its a beauty!

There have been a couple of butterscotch Squier in FB here locally that I have been eyeing.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Its a beauty!

There have been a couple of butterscotch Squier in FB here locally that I have been eyeing.

It was weird buying a guitar just based on looks. I skipped guitars because the fingerboard was too pale or the body too orange. I've played it for a day, and it's a keeper. <Edit> I had to overcome a slight "Made in the USA" bias . . . it wasn't too hard because I have no need for a $2000 guitar only used for home recording.

Last edited:

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
Sweetwater's 55 pt check
Yeah -- I wonder what the 55 points really are since stuff like setup don't seem to get checked. But you do get 8 cents worth of candy to offset the fact you may need to pay a tech $$$ to do a setup (if you don't know how to do it really well yourself) since Sweetwater didn't dial it in.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Yeah -- I wonder what the 55 points really are since stuff like setup don't seem to get checked. But you do get 8 cents worth of candy to offset the fact you may need to pay a tech $$$ to do a setup (if you don't know how to do it really well yourself) since Sweetwater didn't dial it in.

I won't throw Sweetwater under the bus for this particular Tele. It has 3 uncompensated saddles, so a little compromise would be normal. I wonder it their Strat intonations are dead-on? Anyway, I bought new compensated saddles (in brass for more nostalgia).

Saddles.jpg