NGBMD - Guitar Banjolin day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steve Holt, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

So today was interesting, I guess I must be doing something right to have gotten this good karma headed my way.

One of my mom's cousins passed away a few months ago and his wife dropped by today to give my mom a sewing machine that belonged to a great grandmother. She also dropped off a Guitar, a Banjo, and a Mandolin. So I wandered out to her house after dinner tonight to check out my score! The guitar is really cool. It's an old Harmony made in USA. And it's actually in really good shape. The tuners are pretty tight but I haven't fiddled with them at all.

20191120_202332.jpg 20191120_202349.jpg

The Mandolin could use a string change and a tuning before I can really evaluate it. Seems pretty good though. It's missing a piece of binding on the neck as well. Probably easy to replace, but hard to replace and keep it looking old

20191120_202414.jpg 20191120_202423.jpg

My mom looked at the banjo and called it a piece of crap, but it happens to be my favorite piece of the new collection. It's not in bad shape. Needs a new head, which is a shame because the one that's on it has some serious mojo. I'm guessing it's real skin. But no strings, no bridge, only one friction peg tuner, and the tailpiece is in rough shape. Not sure if I had all the other stuff I could even string it, so that tailpiece may need replacing. I'd love to get it working and keep it as rustic and crappy as I can.

20191120_202451.jpg 20191120_202502.jpg

Now if you've gotten to know me around here you'll know that making fun of banjos hurts my feelings, so stop it! Now I just need to track down an accordion...

2. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Meister

Love all three. And yes, especially that nice old open back banjo. Nice scores! I'd be proud to add any of those to my collection.

I've had a few of those Harmony guitars. With a little time spent setting them up right and fresh strings, they can be surprisingly good players.

If the mando neck is good, you have another gem. The binding can be fixed and "patina'd" good enough.
    https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Trade_Secrets/easy_binding_repair_on_a_martin_d-35.html

If the banjo was mine, Id surely check the neck, put some geared tuners on it that look old but work like modern, put a no-knot tailpeice and quality bridge on it and set it up for clawhammer. Skin the head with something mellow, not bluegrass bright.

Nice! Totally jeolous, despite having no need for more.....:)

Steve Holt likes this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

That's a really nice connection.
    Any markings on the mandolin?

4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Not that I saw. I didn't think to take a flashlight to the sound hole while I was over there. I left them all over at my parents house so I'll check it out tomorrow and see what if I can find anything.

RodeoTex likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.