NG&AD!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleTex82, Sep 29, 2014.

1. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Long story short, went to GC to try out a 52 RI since finding a GE through them is proving to be near impossible. Really liked the neck profile, wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 64 to compare but that's another ball o yarn. Anywho, the guitar sounded amazing played through several amps I tried. A DRRI, A DRSF, and a Mustang III. The guitar is new, or so they claimed, strings were pretty rusty. They said it was a 2013, not sure though because the finish seemed thicker than the the ones I have seen from 2012 onward. It was priced at $1999, After going over the guitar I noticed a small chip on the finish on the underside of the body. The wood underneath was intact. After haggling with the guy-BTW if you're in Austin always ask for Brandon at the GC South location- I got him to come down to $1560. Tweed case still with the shipping papers attached, all case candy sealed in it's bags, the wiring mod parts in the manila envelope etc.

Before I getting checked out I decided to run through the Mustang III one more time just to see if I could dial in some fun tones. I was right next to a Vibrolux and A/B'ed them trying to get the Mustang close and I was surprised when I got it to the point where I couldn't tell the difference. This was at moderate volume but I was still very impressed. I had been thinking about a Mustang just based on Intheblues videos and TDPRI reviews and this was the first time I sat and spent real time with one. I asked Brandon if we could work out a deal for the amp and guitar and got them both for around $1860 before taxes. Best of all, Brandon said if the little chip ended up bugging me to come back and return it and he would order me a brand new one no questions asked. A 52 and a Mustang III V.2 in the box for less than $2k seems pretty good to me!

Posting pics I took at the store, will post better ones after I take a nap, restring, tweak, and adjust. String Spacing seemed a little off at the store but I think I was imagining it.

Attached Files:

2. repeatofender

repeatofender Tele-Afflicted

looks good!

3. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

nice!

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Looks wayno! Congrats!

5. TeleTex82

Thank you gents!

6. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That is way cool!! It is not a paint chip, it is the start of a natural relic.

7. TeleTex82

The only thing I'm worried about with the paint chip is the finish flaking off in big chunks like i've seen on some guitars.

8. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Outstanding deal. Congratulations. You'd get a chip on it at some point anyway. Now, you don't need to worry about it.

9. Diamond White

Diamond White Tele-Meister

I'd be tempted to take him up on his offer of a brand new one. No chip, certainty that it is a 2014 model and correct string spacing. Win..Win..Win. :)

10. TeleTex82

It is tempting, the string spacing just looked a little off in the pics, the no chip would be nice for a while but as stated above, Im going to end up putting more than one on it anyway. What is giving me pause is that this one sounds really good. I had people walk over from other parts of the store to see what kind of guitar was playing. That and knowing GC they will only ship one from another store that might be in worse shape. At least this one was on the top rack :lol: EDIT: i tried looking up the serial on the Guitar Dater Project site and it wasn't recognized. It is at least a 12 though, of that Im certain.

11. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats. I'd keep that one. At least the first chip is paid for.

12. KMBkelly

KMBkelly TDPRI Member

+1 I'd rather start out with something perfect and beat it up myself.

13. TeleTex82

Just heard from FMIC, the guitar was made in December of 2013. Like I said this guitar sounds killer, wouldn't want to risk getting another one that wasn't on par. I can live with chips and dings, especially at the price I paid.

14. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats - nice deal and nice to get that first chip out of the way. Fender's customer service has always been very helpful to me when I've been trying to get more info from a serial number - I'd suggest dropping them an email.

EDIT - Sorry, I think I started typing this before you posted about hearing back from them.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  15. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sweeeeet deal, congrats on both the tele & amp. Great duo. Play the heck outta them!

16. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Looks Great- If it sounds and feels great- and you got a great deal on it- don't risk getting another that may be more beat or not feel as good…Tele in the hand…etc…

Glad you liked the Mustang and got to head to head it- Im looking to downgrade to a small practice type amp- and they are on the list…

Now go get some puffy tacos and Big Red and celebrate!!

17. TeleTex82

That is how I feel. I plan on eating some puffy tacos this weekend before one of my gigs.

18. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats.
    What's a puffy taco?

19. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Smart. Don't ever let go of a killer guitar because of a chip or any other incidental reason. A killer guitar is a very good thing and it lets you focus on just getting to know it & then it's one you'll love forever. And it gets even better and better.
    Really.

Congrats.

20. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Tacos, yummy, now I'm hungry! Some super glue on the chipped area could help prevent it from spreading.
    BTW, guitar looks great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.