NFL Wild Card Weekend thoughts

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendrguitplayr, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I asserted in an earlier post that, if Wentz is on, Eagles win. I stick by that, and in reality, they probably wouldn’t have even made the playoffs without Wentz.

I bet if Aaron Rodgers takes a hit like that, you will see yellow flags flying all over the place.

raysachs and getbent like this.
  2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

No way they need a new starting quarterback. But they need a good solid backup, probably one without the magical powers Foles seemed to have. They definitely need some good young O-line help and a much better secondary. And wide receiver. They have two great tight ends, but it sounds like Nelson and Alshon are gone next season and I'm not counting on anything from DeSean either. Of the practice squad finds they found late in the year, I think Ward might be the real deal, but he's not enough by himself.

-Ray

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    BB likes this.
  3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

The sports commentators on TV are pretty irate about the Clowney hit this morning. Even Skip "Cowboy" Bayless, who hates Philadelphia and thinks Wentz is worthless, was angry about it. Most other folks seem to believe that Clowney is not generally a dirty player, but that play was a VERY dirty play. There was an ex-NFL defender (didn't catch who it was) on one show saying you can't nail a guys helmet with your own helmet in that situation accidentally. It happens with guys in the secondary a lot, where someone will duck and weave to avoid a hit they see coming and instead getting nailed in the head because the defender can't react to his last second movements... But when someone was going down like Wentz, you can't accidentally dive on top of him and nail him like that.

The conclusion seems to be it was 1) targeting the head, 2) a late hit when Wentz was clearly down, 3) helmet to helmet, and 4) landing with your full body weight on someone on the ground. It'll be interesting to see what the league does. I'll be pretty shocked if they suspend him (probably should for a game but won't) but he ought to get a pretty stiff fine.

Doesn't matter to the Eagles at this point, but I was surprised the reaction was as strong as it was...

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Clowney has definitely been a player on the edge since we acquired him this year for sure. I didn't get the impression this particular one was intentional. Both bodies are flying, you can't change much in that position. So I don't see intentional targeting. But with Wentz already on the way down, he probably shouldn't have went for him. I'd have to re-look today I guess to see what position they both were in when they went airborne. I think he was called on this type of thing earlier in the year though, so ... the league may go after him...
    Found it...Here it is. I don't know, they are both moving and airborne. Wentz is a runner. I saw at least 2 other direct hit hard firm contact helmet to helmet this weekend that weren't called. Looks like a glancing blow incidental contact to me, it is football after all, but still probably a penalty at least.

raysachs, Texicaster and Stubee like this.
  5. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

So you like it? That’s fine. Not saying it’s a bad hire, it might turn out great, who knows. I just think that he’s nothing special as a coach.

6. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I can't judge it myself - it's been 44 years since I played and I only played in high school, so nothing LIKE the speed of these games. And my memory is I was happy if I hit someone hard (I was a DB), exactly HOW I hit them never really seemed like was within my control. Stuff does happen fast out there and unbelievably fast at that level. But if he was gonna dive on him to make sure he was down, there's no way he'd have to lead with his head. The way he tucks his head as he'd heading for him is what makes it LOOK intentional to me.

Obviously I don't have a clue personally, but I heard enough ex-players agreeing that it was a dirty play on TV this morning, that I have to give them some credence. I heard it all on Philly radio but didn't give that a lot of credence because, obviously, home town bias. But the level to which the national media was equally outraged surprised me. I can believe it was heat of the moment and not premeditated, so maybe manslaughter instead of muder 1... ;) But leading with your head like that is not an accident and is something they're HEAVILY coached as to how NOT to do these days. I wish we had been in my day - we were more or less encouraged to spear people in the 70's.

7. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I’m not arguing NFL athletes are the best, comparing athletes across different sports is almost like comparing musicians. Pointless. How do you measure that? However, I’d confidently say that I’d least like to be hit by an NFL athlete like Clowney.

These guys are around 250+ lbs and can cover 40 yards in less than 4.5 seconds and can bench press 225lbs 20-30lbs. Not saying that makes them the “best athletes”, but they’re no doubt the most physically imposing all around and many are amazing world class athletically. I’d think many would fair well (and some have) in Olympic events.

raysachs likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah. It's gotta be hard on players though. Think about pasting someone with your head purposely crooked to one side to avoid helmet contact! You could end up in a wheelchair.
    What irks me, and I think will be changed soon, is a 230 lb running back or receiver can run down the field full speed, lower his head and paste a defender. The defender can't get his helmet out of the way. That's "ok" though right now. HUH?

9. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

That may very well be. Is the glamour of high caliber college football programs and the thug lifestyle in pro sports ruining it?

It ruined the whole thing for me, and I don't care about it. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

I still watch Major League Baseball, but I don't follow my beloved Lakers anymore because of the churlish and coddled players.

10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Any body who played any football at all knows that when you are in the act of hitting you duck your head. It's a natural reflex. The only time you keep your head up is when you hit standing up or in a crouch. Inadvertant is what I see. Unfortunate and part of a violent game.

schmee likes this.
  11. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

That was an awesome show

esetter likes this.
  12. stratoman1

Ask Santa how he likes Philly fans... :lol::p

13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If that happens you'll be 1 for 5 in this thread! :D I like your idea, though.

14. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

With their proven history of come-from-behind victories, I’m confident the Pats will recover from their Wild Card loss and win it all this year!

;)

raysachs, schmee and unixfish like this.
  15. stratoman1

The way time is kept with under 5 minutes to go changes. They were talking about that while all this was going on. I forget now what the difference is but they were looking at a clock management situation

16. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Where did you play football? As far back as midget football, we were coached to keep our heads up when tackling!
    1. You can see who you are tackling.
    2. You can see the football and have a better chance of getting your facemask on it.
    3. Keeping the head up reduces the risk of concussions.

At least that’s how we were taught from midget football through high school. We actually got yelled at for putting our heads down when tackling.

getbent likes this.
  17. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Alternate scenario: Brady tells Kraft that he wants to stay put and play 3 more years. Kraft honors that request over Belichick's objections (ala Jimmy G trade). And Belichick storms off to Giants. I can't take credit for this--heard someone say it on sports talk radio (and I almost drove off the road).

getbent likes this.
  18. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I was thinking John Elway may go for Brady in Denver ala his Peyton Manning move. Elway quest for a franchise QB has been a crap shoot, so Brady would be a good stop gap (and may get them to the playoffs/Superbowl) until Drew Lock is ready or they find another QB.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

this has merit, BUT, I think Elway got burned sufficiently on Flacco to not do it again AND they like Drew Lock.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I thought I was gonna be 2 for 5... I will get over 50% before it is over... which is how you make money...

and if I'm right on Brady/McDaniels, I get the pot...

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.