1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NFL Wild Card Weekend thoughts

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendrguitplayr, Jan 4, 2020.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Watch a game of aussie NRL football,,, they all run for 80 mins non stop.....

I wonder if your nfl players even raise a sweat, they spend most of the game standing around ..;)

2 Headed Goat, BB and bsman like this.
  2. chet again

chet again Friend of Leo's

I've seen some footage of your football. Pretty brutal but I don't know if that translates into athleticism...

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

In terms of running, backline players can expect to cover between 7km and 7.5km a match, while forwards cover between 5km and 7km, depending on their playing position (loose forwards covering the most distance)
    the only real break they get is at 1/2 time.... the rest of the time is running and tackling...

how many of your guys run that far in a game?...

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. chet again

NFL players are specialized individuals at each position so they can't really be in the game long enough to run great distances.

The best of the best (hopefully) of all the countries college players.

5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Pretty big leap from one person saying the Clowney hit was dirty - it clearly should have been called a penalty but we can’t know whether it was intentional or not - to condemning all Philly fans as “the worst!”. I lived in Seattle from the mid 70s through early 90s and was a serious Seahawk fan. I’ve been in Philly almost 28 years and have become a pretty serious Eagles fan. I’m the same guy, so if “Philly fans are the worst”, I guess so are Seahawk fans? There are a lot of way too intense football fans of EVERY NFL team, as there are of most big soccer teams around the world. This is not a regional thing. And the pretty large majority of fans are just fine.

Next time you have a concussion, “put a band aid on it” and let us know about your brain health 20 years later. It’s a serious problem which is why the league has the concussion protocols they have now instead of just sending guys back out on the field with a “band aid”. Honestly, the game should probably be outlawed, but we love our blood sports so that’s pretty unlikely to happen. By that measure, all football fans are “the worst”, akin to watching the gladiators in ancient times, so anyone entertained by the carnage is arguably “the worst”, you included. And I definitely count myself in that - I hate the game, but I’m hopelessly addicted to it, having watched and played it since I was about four years old. I played in high school, had a number of concussions (kept playing through them of course, because that’s what we did then), had issues for months after each season, and thank my lucky stars I wasn’t good enough to play at any higher level. It’s a brutal game we shouldn’t be subjecting our kids to, and fortunately a lot of young parents are keeping their kids out of it. I wish my folks had known enough in the 60s and 70s to do that with me.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    unixfish, Bassman8, getbent and 2 others like this.
  6. chet again

My nephews wife asked me if her son should play football and I told her "No" and he didn't.

Bassman8 and raysachs like this.
  7. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I did see that. To reiterate my point, I’m not blaming the officials, my beef is with the announcers who didn’t even mention that the hit on Carson was at least questionable. No sour grapes towards the ‘Hawks or refs, not condemning Clowney either. I realize it’s a fast and violent game and it’s easy to miss things at full speed, but the fact is that his head was driven into the ground on helmet to helmet contact and nothing was even said about it on the broadcast is what bothered me. Again, when all we hear about is protecting players from head injuries, especially QBs, how they don’t even acknowledge it was a blow to the head baffles me.

Also I’m trying to defend Carson from the whole “injury prone” label. Snake-bitten perhaps, but I’ll save the term injury prone for guys like Sam Bradford and RG3.

Looking back, he took a big hit last year (in the pocket, not while running) that broke a bone in his back and played through it as long as he could. The year before he blew out his knee while scoring a huge TD in week 14. He then stayed on the field to throw for a 2pt conversion. Reckless maybe, but at the time it was what the team needed and it helped secure home field advantage which made Foles’ playoff run possible. Then this year he plays the whole season, rallies a bunch of practice squad receivers into the playoffs until he gets concussed trying to make a play. He wasn’t reckless this season at all, maybe holds the ball too long at times but hasn’t been running a lot and putting himself in bad situations...he’s just caught bad breaks.

Bottom line though is the better team advanced. The Eagles were up and down all season and somewhat fortunate to be in a weak division. Despite all the injuries they stuck together to at least make the playoffs. Also, kudos to Josh McCown for coming into a tough spot and doing a good job. Wasn’t good enough to win but for a 40 yr old making his first playoff appearance he played just about as good as could be expected. Look forward to next week, the best 8 teams are left and there are some great matchups.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  8. raderiohead

raderiohead TDPRI Member

9. raderiohead

raderiohead TDPRI Member

There is no argument going to be had here.

You are entitled to your beliefs.
    Aaaaand.......
    I am still RIGHT.

10. raysachs

OK, so if I say that Palouse fans are the WORST, you're ok with that? Because I'm obviously RIGHT...

Bassman8 likes this.
  11. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Professional sports are great if you have 3 hours for an hour and a half game. I gave it all up and somehow I’ve survived. ****ing Lions! :D

12. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Happier news as an Eagles fan...the 3 names I've heard associated with the Cowboys' job so far have been Mike McCarthy, Marvin Lewis, and Jeff Fisher.

raysachs, getbent and BB like this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wouldn't be so quick to celebrate if they hire McCarthy.

14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

MLB's spring training starts in six weeks...just sayin' ;)

stratoman1 likes this.
  15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't expect the Eagles vs. Seahawks game to be so close, and low scoring. The game also revealed some glaring needs for the Eagles:

• New starting & backup QB
    • O-line help
    • Cornerback help

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I thought the Saints were going to be there this year.
    So who is left, or how many games to the superbowl.
    I know some folks had a bye this weekend.

17. raysachs

In general, I agree with this, at least over the course of the season. But given that the Eagles only lost by a touchdown and a one point conversion, and given that they were 0 for whatever in the red-zone and pretty bad on 3rd down, I think this is a game they'd have had a VERY VERY good chance of winning with Wentz playing. He was incredible at converting on third down and in the red zone over the last several weeks. Mostly against worse defenses than the Seahawks, but I think the odds are good that a couple of stalled drives aren't and a couple of those field goals are TDs with Wentz playing.

It's academic of course. But according to Jason Peters, he got on Clowney's case after the hit, telling him straight up it was a dirty hit. And Clowney's response, was "yeah, my bad". Ordinarily I'd give a player the benefit of the doubt on his intent, but Clowney has a history of dirty hits, so he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, and there's clearly doubt. But what can happen - the league can fine him and probably will, but they won't suspend him, so they get a relatively easy win and get to keep playing with Clowney in place and the Eagles go home. The incentive structure here is screwed up and won't do anything to reduce these types of hits. Then again, I guaran-damn-TEE that if he pulls that garbage agains Aaron Rodgers next week the media and the league will come down on him like 10 tons of bricks.

But the Eagles weren't going to the Super Bowl this year anyway - Seattle was the only possible opponent I thought they had a good shot to beat. Maaaaaybe Green Bay only because they already did it once in Lambeau this year, but that's probably an argument AGAINST it happening again. And all the teams that are left are teams I like, so I'll enjoy just watching some good football. The teams I never want to see at this point in the season are the Patriots, Cowboys, and Saints, and they're all in the same position as the Eagles at this point, so I don't have any villains to hate on and I like that just fine. Although I won't shed any tears if Clowney hurts himself a good deal worse next in Green Bay next week and can't help his team anymore.

dburns and Stringbanger like this.
  18. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Not by any stretch of the imagination! There are between 11 and 13 minutes of actual play during a game that ostensibly lasts an hour, but in reality goes for over three. Hockey, soccer, even basketball players are generally going to be far more aerobically fit. You will never see a 300 lb lineman with his gut hanging over his belt in any of those sports. I would say "most specialized athletes in the world of sports", but you original assertion is hilarious!

[​IMG]

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I was driving in this morning and it came to me. Brady will go to the NY Giants. McDaniels will be the coach. They have Barkley and the makings of a serious contender... and some good draft picks this year... Brady will be a NY Giant.

P Thought likes this.
  20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That Clowney hit probably should have been called IMO. It seems no one actually noticed it, including the refs, until the video was looked at again after Wentz went to the locker room. The commentators didn't notice it. The ref's are so touchy about QB's being hit now and they miss a QB nearly on the ground being hit with a helmet? hmmm.. But at full speed these things happen and any player, including a QB, has some responsibility in "how" he goes down, giving him self up or being a runner I guess. I'm not sure it made any difference in the game. Wentz is good, but may have been sacked 7 times also if he didn't get hurt.
    I doubt my Hawks are going far though. But glad we're playing Green Bay not the Niner's next week!

dburns likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.