NFL Wild Card Weekend thoughts

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendrguitplayr, Jan 4, 2020.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Read my post....jeeze! I said exactly that so FO! BTW I was an all state/conference back in high school with college offers but played baseball at University of Hawaii!

2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Hey, Santa had it coming!

3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Well, if anyone COULD do it... Somehow though, I think that might start more "Patriots cheat again" discussion... Defeat-gate.

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

If you watch you can see that Clowney is launching himself so that his full body weight can drive his shoulder into Wentz's back as he's going down. There's no real tackling technique used here, it's just make yourself into a sack of lead and pile drive the guy to punish him. If something like this had happened when Wentz was in the pocket (bringing your full body weight down on a QB) it would have been flagged.

I think it was intentional and excessive, but unfortunately Wentz was a runner at the time so yeah, 50-50 he gets a flag. And more like 40-60 since the NFL is really sensitive about going overboard in efforts to protect QBs specifically.

This was probably one of those no-win situations for the refs since Seattle fans would freak if Clowney got a flag just as Philly fans are freaking because he didn't. And this is exactly what the officials are supposed to avoid; making a call (or no call) that influences the outcome of the game. This is precisely where Philly was taken out of the game, despite McCowen doing reasonably well.

getbent likes this.
  5. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Of course it would given all the haters out there. :p

raysachs likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you watch about half the "tackles" in the nfl, it's all about launching bodies. Those guys all need to go to the Bobby Wagner school of tackling! Both were standing up to start, both went down, Clowney was likely trying the "body launch" type of tackle down low. It all happens in a second. Unfortunately Wentz wen't down there too. This video shows how incidental the head clash actually was. But... momentum.. and probably Wentz's head hitting the ground after was as bad or worse...
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1213948886835961858

referees:
    "[Wentz] was a runner, and he did not give himself up," he said. "We saw incidental helmet contact, and in our judgment, we didn't rule that to be a foul."

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, I agree with that call.

8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Big Whoop! You must have been an exemplary of good sportsmanship telling people to FO!

9. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Holic

It is hard to be objective when you are a fan of a team whose quarterback gets hurt. I have seen fans at games trying to get at the opposing team’s defensive player and need to be restrained from running onto the field after their quarterback is taken out.

That being said, hard hits happen to quarterbacks when they leave the pocket to run with the ball. The oldest quarterbacks in the league with the most games played usually are pocket passers, the rushing quarterbacks get injured more frequently because the rules change when they leave the pocket to run, if they don’t slide they will get taken down. Running backs and receivers get incidental contact helmet to helmet hits many times, look at them for this and you’ll see they get hurt like this too. Football is a contact sport and like boxing matches people can get hurt quickly. The referees have to view these hits clinically with no emotion, they looked for intent and didn’t see it. Referees are there on the playing field and have seen hundreds of hits, they have experience deciding things from many more games than fans have a chance to watch since it is what they do full time. Judgement calls when they are close can get obsessed on by fans, the game is over but this Clowney hit will become the talk of the season for Eagles fans, and it will be as ridiculous as blaming Bill Buckner for the Red Sox woes was all those years ago. The Eagles had trouble stopping Wilson’s deep passes at key third down plays, that’s on their defense not the result of incidental contact by Clowney.

10. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Going to be some great games this weekend. Viks at 49'rs, Titans at Ravens, Seattle at Green Bay and Houston at KC.

I'm going 49'rs, Ravens, Seattle, (I hope!) and KC. Of course, he way of the NFL is any given Sunday (or Saturday)

The Viks could certainly win.... especially since Cousins exercised some demons.... much like the Titans, if the running game with Cook get's going. However, I believe the 49'rs are just too talented to lose this one.

Titans certainly have a good chance with Henry running like a wild beast. However, Lamar is on a whole different plane than mere mortals this year.

Green Bay is favored and rightly so. I love watching Rogers play. Ironic that Rogers and Wilson have the highest QB ratings of all time. Just as the extra attention on Lockett allowed DK to set a rookie record for receiving yards in a playoff game, perhaps a bit more attention on DK will open things up for Lockett. Pete says Beast Mode has earned more touches, so we'll see. If the Smith Bros penetrate the Hawks line like Cox and Graham did yesterday.... at least they turned Russell lose early. Should be a great, ugly slugfest!

Any time Watson is at QB, magic things can happen. Of course, Patrick is still Patrick and perhaps the best of all the great QB's playing this weekend. Going to be fun!

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you realize that your avatar also lists where you are from, right?

12. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Holic

I know I’m a Seattle resident, but that doesn’t negate my opinion, an Eagles fan I know pointed out the ease of Seattle’s third down and long conversions, they were leaving an extra man on defense to stop Russel Wilson from running which allowed him to torch them with long throws past their coverage.

I have seen tempests in a teapot like this in every city that loses an important player during a game. When Seattle lost the Super Bowl against Pittsburgh there were some horrendous calls, but that doesn’t negate the fact that Pittsburgh played well enough to win the game. Losing side fans like to create “we would have won that game if everyone played fair” scenarios, it’s an easy trap. The Saints fans are mad about a non called PI. The Patriots fans are frustrated by the use of penalties to run down the clock in their game. The reality is close games are frustrating to the losing side’s fans. I have been at games where it looked liked my team was going to win and the other team changed schemes to play a slow down game and won in overtime. It doesn’t feel fair to fans but someone has to lose and someone has to win.

BB, 2 Headed Goat and Stubee like this.
  13. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Find a new, fleet-footed #1 and keep Wentz as a #2.

Agreed.

14. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

Right...

15. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

It'd be funny if Brady goes to the Giants and Eli becomes a Pat.

BB likes this.
  16. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Even if I agreed that they should, which I don’t, they can’t. They paid Wentz star money last off-season.They can’t afford to keep him as a backup and also pay another starting QB salary. The only way he’s not the starter is if they trade him and offload his salary. But clearly they think he’s their guy or they wouldn’t have paid him. Not every QB needs to be a runner like Lamar. Wentz is actually pretty mobile - he’s had to train himself to be less so...

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  17. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I grew up watching the Eagles since the 60s, so I AM a fanboy; that said, if I were Lurie, I would never have been convinced to pay what it cost to draft, then keep - Carson Wentz. In my eyes, Wentz IS a character guy, but his skill set doesn't distinguish him among the league's elite QB's. Anyway, my $.02.

Stringbanger and raysachs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.