NFL playoff picks predictions and discussion

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
I was only able to catch the last couple minutes of the Chiefs game. What'd I miss?
Check out YouTube's NFL Highlights (which won't link here). There's one specific to this game.

I find football a sad third to baseball and basketball. And...I'm a Bills' fan. But this was an incredible game. Drama after drama. The most movie-like football game I've ever seen....

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Wow what a weekend of games.

Raiders get hosed by the NFL again, the ghost of Al Davis lives on. I do think that was the most entertaining of the games on over the weekend. Joe Burrow, Chase and those young Bengals need to be told that the Cincinatti Bungles are not supposed to be in the playoffs or win the AFC North or be anything other than a distraction to the people of Ohio. Smoke that stogey Joe, I like it!

The cold in Buffalo has everything on New England as the Bellichicks went out with a whimper. This one felt like that one time your younger brother got a good punch in and while you were stunned he went for the kill shot. All the anger of his life came out in one moment when you were weak. As a Bronco fan though, I think I would love to have Mac at QB. I would not be shocked to see the Pats reload their D and be back at next year although the Bills and their Mafioso of fans have taken some territory and I don't see them giving it up easily.

Philly, oh Philly how we loved your special a few years ago, but going up against the GOAT and the current SB champs... not this year. Fly away, Eagle, fly away. I am also not sure Hurts is the answer at QB. I was a little sold on him when he was at Bama and again at OK, but that team needs some help and Hurts has to get better. If he can get the accuracy better he might be around for a while. If not he might be out of the league before Tom Brady. Speaking of Brady, the dude is 44 and looks and plays like he is 34. He actually might play till he is 50, why not, he never gets hit, he knows what the defense is going to do before they do it and he is winning. What else is he going to do, hang around the house with his super model wife? Well, that might be a good option.

Dallas and the Niners... memories of the early 90's come flooding back, well for those of us that were around back then. I live in the DFW area and whoo it is fun on the radio and TV right now. I hear they are going to close all the footlockers as some of the employees are getting death threats. I also heard that Jerry is considering tearing the whole stadium down and rebuilding it North to South as it should have been in the first place and raising that score board a wee bit. But I am also hearing he wants to keep his head coach (really a QB draw from midfield with 14 seconds on the clock and no timeouts?), his D coordinator and O coordinator, his QB and his O line, heck Jerry wants to keep everyone and try it again. Come on Jerry, your team led the league in takeaways but in this game you were even so that equals a loss. Your O Line supposedly was the best in football but got man handled (see the play where Dallas' guard got THROWN into the QB) by the Niners Defensive front, and you had FOURTEEN penalties, many of them the pre-snap kind that just requires discipline. Dallas did not deserve to win that game. And they were crying about not getting that final play after they blocked the official for touching the ball. I go back to the end of the 3rd quarter, Dallas is driving and they let 14 seconds run off the clock to end the third quarter as Tony Romo in the booth was telling the audience that he would try to run a play there. They needed just one more play, well you had it and chose not to take it in the third quarter.

Kansas City and the Old Man and the steel curtain. Speed kills people and KC has it. Hated to see Big Ben go out that way but it was inevitable. Pittsburg just did not have the horses or the cheetahs to keep up with the speed freaks in KC. I kind of felt bad for the Steelers when the Chiefs started playing street football. "Hey let's throw it to the fat kid and let him score a touchdown, it will make his day!" "Let's let Travis play QB for a little bit, Patrick you sit this one out, you have been hogging the QB position all day."
Pittsburg was supposed to finish LAST in the North this year, their superbowl was last week when they beat the Ravens at their place.

Los Angeles and the Red Birds. Wow, what happened to the Red Birds, unstoppable in the first half of the season and then lose Hopkins and they all of the sudden are the Arizona Cardinals again. That throw that Kyler made from the endzone that led to a pick six was just U G L Y with a Capitol U! He is a Texas High School phenom and played at a high level at college and I would challenge anyone to go through his game tape and find where he ever threw a pass like that. That set the tone for the entire night. LA went all in this year, they pushed all their chips into the center with a pair of pair of 9's (Aaron Donald, see what I did there?) and hoped for a great flop and got it when they traded for another 9 to fix their QB issues, then decided to grab OBJ and Miller. Who needs first round picks anyway? Los Angeles is looking like a contender after that performance. Speaking of Von Miller, as a Bronco fan I am so happy to see him in the playoffs. He was a wrecking machine last night big plays when they needed it.

So the AFC has the Bills (+2) versus the Chiefs and the Bengals (+3.5) versus the Titans. Give me the Chiefs to win a close one against the Bills and the Bengals to win outright against the Titans.

NFC has the Rams (+3) visiting the Bucks and the Niners (+6) going to the Frozen Tundra of Green Bay. Give me the Rams to win outright against the Bucs although a close game (I am also parlaying a Hecker fake punt into the mix here). And I will take Green Bay and give up the points as Arod and the Packers will take the front seven of the 9ers out of play and feast on the corners and safeties of the 49ers and cover those six points.

I posted this on the NFL thread. Three out of Four ain't bad at all. Won the Chiefs, Bengals and the Rams against the spread. Only Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Chokers let me down. Mommy needs some new shoes!!!

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Who ya got?? Hopefully a better / more competitive weekend than last weekend. And it should be.

First, today's games:
Cincy at Tenn. The Titans get King Henry back, curious to see what he looks like/how much he'll be used. Fun fact: Tennesse is 4 and 0 against remaining playoff teams (SF, Chiefs, Bills, Rams). On the other hand, they also lost to Houston and the Jets. "Any given Sunday" I guess. Burrow looks to have been a brilliant pick by Cincinnati and it appears that the future is bright for the upstart Bengals, but I'm going to go with the rested, Henry-equipped Titans at home. Tennessee 30-23.

SF at GB. Trivia: what is the most common matchup in NFL history? Well, after today's game, these two teams will be tied with the current leaders, Dallas vs Rams. This will be the 9th playoff matchup between the 9ers and Packers. Another bit of trivia: Prior to year 2000, GB was undefeated at home in the playoffs. Amazing. (I heard on the radio 13 - 0, but I am only finding 12 and 0 from various sources... oh well, either way, amazing) Since then? From what I could find, looks like a very mortal 8 and 6. Lambeau isn't as mysterious as people make it out to be, at least not in this century. That said, it's hard to pick against the rested Packers with possibly the best QB in the NFL right now. And as getbent and others have pointed out... Jimmy G. I just can't see SF winning this game, it feels like the surest pick to me, though I hear a lot of experts saying this is a 'bad matchup' for Green Bay. I'll go Packers 31-23.

The Sunday matchups:
LA at TB. Another matchup of a QB you trust versus one you really can't... at least not yet (for me anyway). Can Matt Stafford come through in the clutch? Against the GOAT? On the road? Will the really good LA defense show up at Tampa, or the one that got pushed around by the Titans, SF and GB during an 0 and 3 stretch earlier in the season? Will Tom Brady finally look human, and have a clunker? Or at least a below average game? I have no trivia nuggets for this contest. But look for Jimmy G, sorry I mean Stafford, to make a critical mistake down the stretch. Bucs, 27-24.

Bills at KC. Oh man. So glad this is the last game of the weekend. I wonder if it might become an "instant classic." Josh Allen is just an amazing young QB, and Patrick Mahommes is well... Patrick Mahommes. This has all the makings of a 60+ point over... will they surprise us and put on a slugfest for us?? If KC gets knocked out, does all the talk of Mahommes winning 5 or 6 super bowls shut down, at least for a season or two? The Chefs have had an amazing run since Patrick came on the scene, but so far... only one Super Bowl W, and that one was gifted to them by Jimmy G. Last year they got destroyed. Can the Bills win this game on the road, in that crazy Arrowhead environment? I'm going out on a limb, and going with one road team. Josh Allen plays mostly mistake free, runs for 40+ yards, throws 4 TDs, and eeks out a playoff road win. Bills, 34-31.

Gimme your picks!

Oh my, not one right @Colo Springs E but I appreciate the effort!!

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
You want picks? I’ll give ya picks! (Trying to sound like ESPN sports personality “Stephen A“ here)

Cincy over Tennessee

SF over GB

TB over LA

Buffalo over KC

quite possibly I could go 0 for 4.

BTW, great post Colo Springs E!
@Tall-Fir 2 for 4 not all bad! I loved the Cincy over Tenn pick and San Fran? You got a magic ball?

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s looking like a good weekend of football. My betting friend has lived north of SF so after years of disappointment refused to bet on SF last week until I gave him more than the spread. You’d think he’d be happy with the win but is sulking & refusing again. He hates GB so is even more conflicted than usual, but he hated the Cowboys, too. I’ll force him to grow up and bet like a man! Geez…

I like your analysis Colorado Springs E.

Titans 30-27

GB 31-28

TB 28-21

Bills 35-31
Oh man another donut here. @Stubee I feel your pain!

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
So…I’m a Chargers fan. I hope the Chargers coach is watching how the Bengals are staying in the game against the Titans by kicking field goals. Field goals aren’t always a good strategy, but they sure can add up in a tight game. It’s half time, and the score is 9 to 6 Cincy. I have some melancholy because Chargers soooo blew their KC contest which eventually put them out of the playoffs because they passed on sure field goal points.
Those field goals were the difference!!

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Was pulling for the Titans. Tannehill? What happened?

1643042679689.png

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Now that my team (Philly) is out, I'm rooting for the always-maligned Jimmy G. Talk about an underdog. I mean, think of the QBs from these playoffs: GOAT, GOAT 1a, and Big Ben who will be HOF. Stafford's in the HOF conversation. Allen and Burrow have already been anointed as the next great QBs. Then there's Jimmy G. I'm not even sure he's the most popular QB on his own team. Let's go Niners.
He is not the most popular QB on his team!!!

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Take that back lol. Lifelong Chiefs fan here and I'm surprised that I've heard almost nobody hate on the Chiefs. I travel a lot and always wear some of Chiefs hat. I get positive comments from everyone no matter what part of the country I'm in. My goal is for them to be so successful that they receive Patriots level hate lol.
@Lonn You still got blood pressure medicine on hand or did you use it all last night. My buddy did not even respond to my texts last night he was so locked in.
He just sent this after the game was over.

1643042954918.png

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I was rooting for Tampa Bay. I’m not a Brady fan but I have good friends that are TB fanatics. It was more for them

I hate the overtime rules. Play a regulation quarter. If the score is still even then the game is a tie

The Chiefs won the coin flip for OT possession. That was the only difference.

I am totally worn out. This has been an amazing weekend of exciting football

Just for the record I’m still no fan of the OT rules

With prolific QBs like Mahomes and Allen, the OT rules are unfair. In the playoffs they should go back to the old rules - 15 min qtrs - otherwise give both teams a chance to possess the ball.

Buffalo made a big mistake in not making KC field the kickoff and eat up some clock.
Yeah, it's just unfair as heck, a whole season comes down to a coin flip. They should each have a chance to score in OT!

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Goodbye Brady, Goodbye Aaron!🤣
Garrapalo looked every bit a 2nd string QB yesterday. They won though.
They're gonna get killed next weekend...
Not so fast. We're 2-0 with the Rams this season. And one of those happened only a few weeks ago. I'll admit, I will probably be pacing back and forth the whole game. I picked the wrong time of year to quit alcohol for 6 mo.

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
In one matchup there was a total of 4 penalties called, both teams combined (Heard that on the radio - immediately forgot which two teams)

Turning now to America's Meme, the Dallas Cowboys, 14 penalties (fourteen, tied for the most penalties ever in a play-off game) all by themselves while losing at home to the 49ers in the wildcard round last week.

Btw I'm a soccer fan AND my hat is off to the athletes and the coaches in this round of games!

Seems like the Bills' goal-line stand was anticipating only a quarterback sneak when the fellow ran around the end for the TD