NFL playoff picks predictions and discussion

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I'm in a weird position. I've been rooting for the 49ers for more than four decades, but I've been living in L.A. for 35. This isn't a Montana era-level team. To be honest, the Steve Young era didn't have the same magic, either, and Garoppolo is simply not inspiring. Do I root for the logo I've long rooted for, which I'm likely to do, or do I root for what is now my hometown team, which has the impressive QB? The last time the Rams were in the Super Bowl, I tried to cheer them on, but I wasn't able to work up much enthusiasm or interest.
I got to see John Brodie at Kezar against the bears on my birthday (niners did lose that day) but, I got to see jimmy johnson and man, it was a big deal to me.

In the game, Gale Sayers (a big part of us wanting to go too, long drive from our house) tore up his knee. It was a big day.

About a year or so later, we moved to SoCal... I liked a lot of Rams players, but, I continued to be a full on 49er fan and totally preferred Brodie over Roman Gabriel...

I think Jimmy G is a hard watch. But, the surrounding cast is every bit as good as any of the 80's teams. Fred Warner, Deebo, Bosa, Jimmie Ward, Kittle, Trent Williams, the kid Mitchell, Raheem Mostert (out) stack up to any of the guys of the past. The heart of this team is incredible, Fred and Dre and Armstead refuse to give in...

Like the early teams, they dont have the names like Donald or Von Miller or Ramsey or Kupp... but, I think they can beat the Rams even WITH Jimmy G. BTW, I think Jimmy gives it his best and tries his hardest and has a big heart, he just isn't very good. But, if he does what he is coached to do and if he doesn't try to be someone he isn't, he won't hurt the niners and they'll score.

The defense and special teams won yesterday's game... and were a HUGE contributor (with Samuel and Mitchell and Kittle as HUGE contributors) to the other games vs. the Rams.

Kittle is a blocking machine, but, if it works, he could go for 200 yards without any trouble.

The niners are banged up, but probably everyone is by now. The Rams coach is the grandson (as you probably know) of the guy who built the niners with Bill Walsh...

I"m glad they are playing the Rams and it will be a great game. Rooting for a team is about the heart and not about the numbers. I rooted for my teams through YEARS of obscurity and love them no less when they suck as when they are great. This season has been torture with Jimmy, but, hey, they are a game away!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
When it comes to the Dodgers, you and GetBent are in metaphorical white robes and hoods.

not sure I'm comfortable with the comparison.

I'd say this about the Dodgers, the Dodgers are a great organization and they are historic and one of the great teams of all sports.... they are worthy of being rivals and one of my best friends is a HUGE Dodger fan and we go when the dodgers and giants play. I respect him. But, there is no sweeter victory than when the Dodgers lose.

like the wheel of love and hate, the purest forms of both are right next to each other while the opposite of true love or hate is indifference. I have massive indifference for many teams.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I got to see John Brodie at Kezar against the bears on my birthday (niners did lose that day) but, I got to see jimmy johnson and man, it was a big deal to me.

In the game, Gale Sayers (a big part of us wanting to go too, long drive from our house) tore up his knee. It was a big day.

About a year or so later, we moved to SoCal... I liked a lot of Rams players, but, I continued to be a full on 49er fan and totally preferred Brodie over Roman Gabriel...

I think Jimmy G is a hard watch. But, the surrounding cast is every bit as good as any of the 80's teams. Fred Warner, Deebo, Bosa, Jimmie Ward, Kittle, Trent Williams, the kid Mitchell, Raheem Mostert (out) stack up to any of the guys of the past. The heart of this team is incredible, Fred and Dre and Armstead refuse to give in...

Like the early teams, they dont have the names like Donald or Von Miller or Ramsey or Kupp... but, I think they can beat the Rams even WITH Jimmy G. BTW, I think Jimmy gives it his best and tries his hardest and has a big heart, he just isn't very good. But, if he does what he is coached to do and if he doesn't try to be someone he isn't, he won't hurt the niners and they'll score.

The defense and special teams won yesterday's game... and were a HUGE contributor (with Samuel and Mitchell and Kittle as HUGE contributors) to the other games vs. the Rams.

Kittle is a blocking machine, but, if it works, he could go for 200 yards without any trouble.

The niners are banged up, but probably everyone is by now. The Rams coach is the grandson (as you probably know) of the guy who built the niners with Bill Walsh...

I"m glad they are playing the Rams and it will be a great game. Rooting for a team is about the heart and not about the numbers. I rooted for my teams through YEARS of obscurity and love them no less when they suck as when they are great. This season has been torture with Jimmy, but, hey, they are a game away!

My father went to Polytechnic High School, above Kezar Stadium, and they played their home games there. Of course, I love it because of the torture scene in "Dirty Harry."

Lockback

Tele-Meister
I think for stick-and-ball sport, the NFL produces the best product on the field. And these playoff games so far have been a great example why: the first three Divisional games have all gone down to the last play of the game.
It just doesn't get any better than that.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's

I grew up 90 miles away from Chicago in SW Michigan. Back when I was that young I was a Bears fan and a huge Gayle Sayers fan. I thought that I was playing like him when we played on the playground at school. Yes, we played tackle on asphalt. My dad and I watched all the Bear games on tv. I remember watching that game with my dad. I remember watching Sayers being helped off the field. Very sad. It effectively ended his career.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I grew up 90 miles away from Chicago in SW Michigan. Back when I was that young I was a Bears fan and a huge Gayle Sayers fan. I thought that I was playing like him when we played on the playground at school. Yes, we played tackle on asphalt. My dad and I watched all the Bear games on tv. I remember watching that game with my dad. I remember watching Sayers being helped off the field. Very sad. It effectively ended his career.

I remember when Brian's Song came out on the ABC tuesday movie (the theme IIRC was a burt bacharach tune named after his daughter Nikki) I LOVED that song.... everyone at school watched those movies every week (mr. and mrs. bo jo jones, stuff like that) and we'd all talk about it all of wednesday... a few teachers even watched.

When I watched Brian's Song (and granted, my dad had had cancer and recovered and then died in December 72, so, it was 'present' in my mind) when I lay on the floor of our living room with our whole family watching that movie, I saw the scene where Gale gets hurt and I had to bury my head... I blushed a lot as a kid and I think my whole body blushed, just so awful...

Then, as the movie reached its end, I was glad it was dark in the living room. my sisters were crying and one of my brothers, I kept looking forward, staring, tears pouring...

at school the next day, everyone commented on how touching and great the movie was... then, pretty much everyone cried. So sad.

Gale Sayers was amazing... of course, the guy we all admired too was Bobby Douglass who threw 4 TD's with a broken wrist! We thought he was one tough dude.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I was rooting for Tampa Bay. I’m not a Brady fan but I have good friends that are TB fanatics. It was more for them

I hate the overtime rules. Play a regulation quarter. If the score is still even then the game is a tie

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
If I am not mistaken Bobby Douglas was the first left handed starting QB in the NFL. Guy had no finesse gear as I recall. He would fire a screen pass 90 mph.

I have to admit I am going to OD on football this weekend. I don’t see this ended well for BUF though. I agree with Romo that they should have kicked off for a return to burn some clock.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Bills at KC. Oh man. So glad this is the last game of the weekend. I wonder if it might become an "instant classic." Josh Allen is just an amazing young QB, and Patrick Mahommes is well... Patrick Mahommes. This has all the makings of a 60+ point over...
Only part of my predictions I got right..... What a game!!